RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9345755-tomahawk-design-bae-hawk-1-3-5-a.html)

Remco45 12-20-2009 11:41 AM

Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5

1 Attachment(s)
On request of various other builders (See Skygate Hawk build - virtual manual) I have started this thread on the new Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk scale 1:3,5.
I'm not that much of a forum-poster, mainly due to busy work schedules, but I'll do my best to inform the readers.

A word of caution: I'm still working on my F-104G Starfighter (1:4) so for now this will be just an introduction only.
The actual build will take place within a few months and if others, who have ordered this Hawk too, would like to post their build info, please feel free to use this thread.

As with most new projects, I anticipated delays, but the delivery was postponed only one week due to testing of the welds on the landing gear.

So, on Sunday december 13th, a 3,5 hour drive brought me to Florsheim near Frankfurt Germany where the delivery took place.
A very nice workshop indeed and all parts were laid out for me, nicely grouped and small parts packed.
Andreas gave me various tips regarding the build and after an hour or two we started packing.

It's huge! We used a Volvo V70 and really needed all the space to cram everything inside.
Luckily, a large fuselage can contain the smaller parts, and their's lots of them!
Weight is light though, with the front part measuring only 719 gramms.

Build quality is excellent and a CD with photo's is provided.
The important stages are on the CD, but some more photo's would be nice and I was told they are working on that.

The scale landing gear is of a very high quality too, and like all parts its big, see the paperclip on the tire.
Below are some photo's of the main items of the delivery package.

Remco45

butler-campers 12-20-2009 11:50 AM

RE: Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5

1 Attachment(s)

a few foto's of mine.
i am started today

</p>

butler-campers 12-20-2009 11:53 AM

a few more

butler-campers 12-20-2009 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a few more

butler-campers 12-20-2009 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
last for today

marc s 12-20-2009 12:41 PM

All looks good guys, similarity between the SG hawk is very evident so should be a lot of construction x-over - look forward to seeing the builds.

marcs

butler-campers 12-20-2009 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: marc s

All looks good guys, similarity between the SG hawk is very evident so should be a lot of construction x-over - look forward to seeing the builds.

marcs
That is why i am so happy with your building manualhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

marc s 12-20-2009 01:26 PM

Ah! Happy to be of help ;)

Alex48 12-20-2009 04:05 PM

What a great looking kit!! Loads of nice little touches......

Looking forward to the thread progressing.

Alex

schroedm 12-20-2009 05:06 PM

Thanks for posting! Looking forward to mine even more now! Seeing all the bits laid out like that reminds me I made the right decision going for their stage 3 build option :)

And I thought my Skygate was big...................

AIRMAR72 12-21-2009 06:08 AM

looks very good!... grade A. fabrication thats what i like to see on high end models precise design

butler-campers 12-21-2009 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So i have done a little work.
The rudder and fin is nearly reddy.
servo instalation and some scale parts are done.
It is a pleasure to build with this supurb kwality!!

Sorry for my bad englisch , but i think the most will understand wat i am writhing

up to the next job

Koenieboy 12-21-2009 04:11 PM

verstaan zullen ze wel doen :D

schroedm 12-21-2009 04:39 PM

butler-campers 12-22-2009 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done some more work today.
started with the wings.
Only one small problem , the servo box was to small for a 8811 servo (2mm)
1minute with the dremel and it fits perfect

David Gladwin 12-23-2009 04:30 AM

Can anyone tell any differences of significance between the Skygate Hawk and the Tomahawk model, apart from size, of course ?
My SkyGate Hawk kit is almost ready for despatch so these threads are of great interest to me.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

marc s 12-23-2009 06:09 AM

David,

As you probably know I am building a SG Hawk for a customer and looking at the components and parts there appears to be very little differences, the T hawk looks to be a scaled up version in all respects, gear, formers, tail group set-up etc....

marcs

schroedm 12-23-2009 07:20 AM

David,

Yep, the T Hawk is a SG Hawk blown up on a photocopier. The only difference I am aware of are lighter mouldings. This model is nearly 2ft longer yet can still be built scale and under 20kg!!!

I sold my SG Hawk for one of these so time will tell if I should have bothered :)

Cheers,
Mark

butler-campers 12-23-2009 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more work done.
I started with the flaps.
secure jobhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bout_smile.gif

butler-campers 12-24-2009 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I begin withe the wing light.

SJN 12-24-2009 04:43 PM

wow,this kit looks fantastic [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

schroedm 12-24-2009 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: butler-campers

I begin withe the wing light.

Is that the light kit they provide as an option? I ordered all the lighting options but am not sure what make they provide.

Looking good so far!

What scheme are you going to do?

Rgds,
Mark

butler-campers 12-24-2009 07:05 PM

This is the light kit that i orderd by Tomahawk.
2 wing lights
2 flash lights
1 front light

It will be painted in Red Arrows (new sheme)

it is lovely to build , everthing is perfect
1 minus is the building manual ( a few pictures on a cd)http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/71_71.gif
regards Maikel

butler-campers 12-25-2009 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the wings are almost for 80% ready

tobba 12-26-2009 03:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
People

Looking for thoughts. I have a Tomahawk Hawk on order, due March. Keen for thoughts on the rudder setup.

From everything I am hearing the Tomahawk is pretty much identical to the SG. I saw a near disaster here in New Zealand with a SG Hawk on its second flight a month or so ago. This model was built by a chap that has been flying and building for many years, including many Jets. I did not view the rudder setup first hand, but I would expect it to be correctly setup. I am aware of a similar issue on the prototype SG Hawk but have heard nothing since. Maybe future kits were upgraded?

This is a big surface. Does it need 2 servos? Does it need a double arm - rigid push pull? or maybe more strengthening around the rudder tube where it mounts to the fuse? I am far from questioning the caliber of the design of either the SG or Tomahawk models - they are the best of the best, hence me buying one...! However the result on this model was a little disheartening.

See a few shots attached of the damage to the SG Hawk. One prior to the incident. These guys were very lucky. Just managed to squeeze it back on the runway.

Thoughts would be appreciated.