RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Tomahawk Futura Build Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9391553-tomahawk-futura-build-thread.html)

schroedm 01-06-2010 05:22 AM

Tomahawk Futura Build Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Well, after 2 weeks of delays and problems due to couriers/strikes and snowfall my Futura kit was finally due for redelivery today. However, I woke up to find another 6" blanket of snow, rolled my eyes in the knowledge that the UK grinds to a halt with 1" of snow so my kit wouldn't be delivered.

BUT, 10mins later the door bell rang and there was a trusty Polishman with an enormous box who 'wasn't going to be beaten by a little bit of snow'. Only slightly more impressive was that he'd a) managed to drive and turn round an enormous articulated lorry in single track lanes outside my house b) carried the huge box on his own!

Anyway, it's here and I'll post pics of the kit/build as I go along.

My plan was to try and get this ready for paint before the gargantuan Hawk arrived but that's looking slim right now so the workshop is going to get v.busy v.soon :D

madmodelman 01-06-2010 05:29 AM

RE: Tomahawk Futura Build Thread

Come on Mark, get that box open, let's have a look!
Gary.

Ali 01-06-2010 05:34 AM

Get in!!!
can I buy it yet :eek:

schroedm 01-06-2010 05:37 AM

Al, I thought I'd do my usual and wait until I'd spent loads of time and money on it THEN I could let you have it all ready with no hard work left for the usual pittance!

Then I remembered my New Year Resolution :D

wikman 01-06-2010 05:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mark
Open the box and show us the parts.
Here in Sweden we only have around 40cm of snow in my area. The problem is the temperature, se the picture.
No radiosystem working in a proper way, everything is slow...
Just to stay indoor and build...

/Anders

Ali 01-06-2010 06:11 AM

Sounds like a plan to me Mark, just as long as that resolution was either
" I must not take so long to build the planes"
or
" I must listen to Ali's advice when he tells me that my plane is set up like crap" ;)
Now hurry up and get in that workshop!
Oh and if it helps you out at all, I would be happy to sell your Tomahawk onto the next guy on the list :D
Regards Al

Alex48 01-06-2010 06:11 AM

cool, been looking forward to this build...........

shaun1 01-06-2010 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Ali

Get in!!!
At least wait until it's built!!! Then you can finish it off......... ;)

schroedm 01-06-2010 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: shaun1

Get in!!!
You guys :) OK, that's now a red rag to a bull :)

Pics coming shortly. There's that damn thing they call work in the way. I'll tell you about it one day Al :D

shaun1 01-06-2010 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: schroedm

ORIGINAL: shaun1

Get in!!!
You guys :) OK, that's now a red rag to a bull :)

Pics coming shortly. There's that damn thing they call work in the way. I'll tell you about it one day Al :D
New years resolution, crack another one Mark!

Anyhow, watching the build with interest. We spent enough time looking at this model, I personally love it!

Speak soon

Shaun

Selleri 01-06-2010 12:55 PM

Go for it Shaun, you need a new bird in the fleet! ;)

schroedm 01-06-2010 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK!!! First let me say that I have seen/owned some pretty high end stuff in this hobby so I tend to have a high expectation re quality but this has blown be away!!

Yes I opted for Tomahawk's stage 3 build to save me time but never did I expect it to come quite as complete as this!! Everything is done! All I need to do is an install and get it painted!

The quality is by far the best I have seen. Cutouts and servo boxes are flawless, fitment of everything is flawless, the molding is flawless! I am well happy with it :D :D

Even the wingbags are superb. Foam lined with fitted zips instead of awkward buckles. The fuselage from the inlets back is fully carbon clothed. The tailpipe and nozzle are a work of art. Retracts are fitted.

In the age of the likes of Skymaster the above doesn't sound too amazing but when you throw German quality and these guys' molding /build skills into the pot then the result is stunning.

Thanks to Al and Thomas at TomaHawk. I really really can't wait for the big Hawk to turn up now if this is anything to go by!!!!

Rgds,
Mark

PS I might even get this finished in record time!

schroedm 01-06-2010 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Few more. The tank is ready mounted rather cleverly - the rear 1/3 slides into a holder the same shape as the tank itself and the front is bolted down to formers.

Note also all the carbon cloth!

Will try and get some pics of it together a little later this evening.

marc s 01-06-2010 02:16 PM

Mark that looks a peach, the quality really looks to be superb.
Nice touches on the wing bags.
I guess with all the carbon cloth you need to make sure the Rx instal is good to avoid any screening.....

Looking forward to seeing the results.

marcs

PaulD 01-06-2010 02:42 PM

Mark,

Looking forward to seeing the paint scheme. The original pictures/paint scheme made the thing look fugly [:'(] - it looks much better all white. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

PaulD

schroedm 01-06-2010 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few of it together - it's a big 'ol lump!

And just when I was going to mail Tomahawk and ask them to send me the wing tube I find it included in its own little camo tube in the funky wing bag :D

schroedm 01-06-2010 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: PaulD

Mark,

Looking forward to seeing the paint scheme. The original pictures/paint scheme made the thing look fugly [:'(] - it looks much better all white. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

PaulD
Paul,

The more I look at it, the more I think it should stay mainly white!! [&:]

M

Ali 01-06-2010 03:57 PM

Superb!
Questions..
Did you cut the canopy out of the top deck?
How much work have you actually done to it to get it to the stage its at in the photos?

I told you that white is the way to travel and get dunc to work his vinyl magic on it! Super quick, super light, super cheap and if you dont like it peel it off at the end of the season and have a whole new model for next season.

schroedm 01-06-2010 04:05 PM

The canopy cutout was the biggest surprise! I was going to go for something slightly different but i like it!

How much work have I done? A fair bit - I had to unpack it and put it together! :D (done diddly squat to it!)

I'm thinking vinyl too now I've seen it. Was the original thought I had but until I saw it I thought there may be too many curves etc to contend with but it could work now!

NightSwan 01-06-2010 04:10 PM

I don't believe this.. I'm *actually* starting to like it....

:rolleyes:

Hans

Peter A 01-06-2010 04:12 PM

Ali
The way it comes as you see in the photos costs extra.
The kit does not have any cutouts, or gear installed, or control arms glued etc., these were all paid for as extra work.

Regards

schroedm 01-06-2010 04:26 PM

I'm hoping Ali knew that as the dealer - especially as I paid him extra! :D :D

Ali 01-06-2010 04:31 PM

I didnt realise it was that far complete. Are you telling me the retracts were bolted in? The control horns done and the servo covers pre fitted??? Now thats another level!
I will have to check with Thomas as I only ordered a stage 3 kit ( No extras on top of that)
Dont worry Mark... You wont get charged any extra... :D
Hans.. Wait till you see it fly!

schroedm 01-06-2010 04:36 PM

I didnt realise it was that far complete. Are you telling me the retracts were bolted in? The control horns done and the servo covers pre fitted??? Now thats another level!
I will have to check with Thomas as I only ordered a stage 3 kit ( No extras on top of that)
Dont worry Mark... You wont get charged any extra... :D
Hans.. Wait till you see it fly!
Mate, I'm telling you - I only need to install radio and turbine - this is stage 3 on the Futura as explained to me by Thomas!. The stage 3 on the Hawk is the same!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D (just a few more scale bits to add on that would get damaged in shipping)

I thought at first the horns etc were resting in place but they're all glued. Retracts are in with some funky star headed bolts so I might change those for ease of maintenance! (talking of which - can I have my square screwdriver bit back you nabbed when you picked up the Hawk??!)

M

Joe C 01-06-2010 04:53 PM

Ali or Mark,
What is the web addy for Tomahawk, thanks Joe C!!!