RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Need advice - considering a JetJoe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9565682-need-advice-considering-jetjoe.html)

webtech 03-08-2010 08:43 PM

Need advice - considering a JetJoe

Hi guys, I need some advice. First off I am a turbine newbie and am purchasing my first turbine engine. I have a Velox in need of a power plant and want to know if a JJ1400 would be enough power to fly this plane at a decent speed. Is this engine reliable? Seems to be priced pretty low in relation to other turbines in it's class. Would anyone recommend this turbine? I don't want to waste money by trying to save money. Your input is greatly appreciated.

-Webtech

SDCrashmaster 03-08-2010 08:47 PM

RE: Need advice - considering a JetJoe

I would do a search on here for Jet Joe prior to making your decision.
There has been an over abundance of information discussed at great length here on RCU.
Very smart comment you made regarding "don't want to waste money trying to save money"!

lov2flyrc 03-08-2010 08:51 PM

Dont waste your money or your time, chances of an engine that runs out of the box is slim and chances of one lasting for any acceptable amount of time is nil...
Want a good, solid engine at a reasonable price with LIFETIME warranty?.... see [link=http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=243]HERE[/link]

Do some research on both engine brands, I think you will see the difference for yourself ;)

joeflyer 03-08-2010 08:58 PM

Read the Jet Joe threads here on RCU. The answer should be obvious. If money is an issue you'd be much better off buying a good used Wren, JetCat, or Jet Central engine.

I-NAV 03-08-2010 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you buy one, don't stand in the plane of rotation of the turbine wheel...

AndyAndrews 03-08-2010 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Dont waste your money or your time, chances of an engine that runs out of the box is slim and chances of one lasting for any acceptable amount of time is nil...
Want a good, solid engine at a reasonable price with LIFETIME warranty?.... see [link=http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=243]HERE[/link]

Do some research on both engine brands, I think you will see the difference for yourself ;)
How long has Kingtech been making turbines?

icepilot 03-09-2010 04:10 AM

The post is called: "Need some advice" - well, the advice is "Don't!" :D Almost any other brand would be fine, we have several KingTechs
here in Norway running just fine, and only this week we started flying with ATJ turbines that has started and run very nicely on every test
start as well as the first flight, no long time test of them, though, but looks promising. I think the vote on JetJoe is quite unanimous...

Tor

Rush! 03-09-2010 06:46 AM

What are ATJ turbines? some background would be appreciated :D  Thanks

Woketman 03-09-2010 07:06 AM

Buy a used Wren instead of a JJ. Really. Todd was correct, they are carp.

RCISFUN 03-09-2010 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: webtech

Hi guys, I need some advice. First off I am a turbine newbie and am purchasing my first turbine engine. I have a Velox in need of a power plant and want to know if a JJ1400 would be enough power to fly this plane at a decent speed. Is this engine reliable? Seems to be priced pretty low in relation to other turbines in it's class. Would anyone recommend this turbine? I don't want to waste money by trying to save money. Your input is greatly appreciated.

-Webtech
A Jet Central SUper Bee will fly the Velox, there was one flying at FL Jets this past weekend.

Additionally if you don't want to plunk down the price of a new Super Bee you can find great used Super Bee's here on RCU for what you would pay for a new JJ.

My advice is walk away from the JJ; correction....Run Forest Run! :D

PaulD 03-09-2010 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

I have a buddy who purchased a Jet Joe, after the engine caused a crash and loss of the airframe, he sent it back and they replaced it with the Kingtech. Take Todd's advice and go with the Kingtech or something else used that has some support.

PaulD

SJN 03-09-2010 12:32 PM

Buy cheap, buy twice.

I have one, and would not reccomend it for a beginner who needs a reliable turbine.

icepilot 03-09-2010 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They are nicely built turbines from Taiwan, my friend Christian has 2 of them in his new
FEJ F-4, and they run very nicely - I will try to get him to give some more info here...

Tor

rbxbear44 03-09-2010 04:56 PM

They make GREAT flame throwers on the flightline!!! Whenever I see a Jet Joe near me in the start up ramp...I ruuuuunnnnnnnn!!! Actually I move all my stuff to the furthest point away and then add 50 ft.

DON'T do it, man!

eric_monster 03-09-2010 06:32 PM

Webtech,

I was in the same position you are about a year ago. Though I am still trying to decide what I want to get, I know it will not be a Jet Joe. When I first learned of JJ, I thought it was the greatest thing. But after reading several threads on here, I was convinced that as a beginner, you should stay away from JJ turbines.
Currently, I have pretty much decided that Kingtech will be the way I go. Their K-80E gets good marks from just about everyone who has one, and a recommendation coming from Todd (love2flyrc) means a lot.
However, the best thing I can recommend is, do your homework. If you absolutely have to have a new turbine, then I really recommend Kingtech. But if new is not that important, there are quite a few used JetCats on here right now. Or any of the other name brands would be better used than a new JJ.

Just my .02 cents as a newbie too FWIW.

Eric

jason 03-09-2010 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: webtech

Need advice - considering a JetJoe
-Webtech

Simple, don't buy one. Anything else is better value by comparison.

Jason

mumblety-peg 03-09-2010 06:42 PM

Webtech- Take a look at the Jet Joe Owners thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_29...tm.htm#2944063

Not much point in taking advice from someone that does not own one.

AndyAndrews 03-09-2010 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: mumblety-peg

Yes, a place where the very first post talks about a turbine that after 5 starts on it has problems...:eek:. Do youself a favor. Run from JJ!

jason 03-09-2010 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: mumblety-peg

Whats that got to do with it? I don't own a Toyota either....

Jetjoe are absolutly the worst quality production turbine in the world bar none, it's 100% fact.

jason

mumblety-peg 03-09-2010 07:11 PM

I didn't say they were good or bad. I only said to ask the owners. I won't be sucked into this conversation. I'm unsubscribing.

Sparhawk 03-09-2010 08:19 PM

For the Velox? Merlin 90 or a Rabbit are great choices.

wd40 03-09-2010 09:15 PM

I have had alot of turbines , but will not use a jet joe just get a good turbine like a Rabbit, super eagle, Jet cat or Kingtech K-80 RTI 2800 AMT they will last a long time and give good service the Jet joe might run and it might go boom bang boom bang.

Jetpilot24 03-10-2010 09:03 AM

Don't do it

A friend of mine had one and all it did was spit flame he sent it back to whoever takes care of them here in the USA 3 different times and they sent him three different engines. they all did the same thimg when he recieved them Spit flame and if thet did run it vibrated like crazy. they are NOT A RELIABLE MOTOR for a reason. STAY AWAY, RUN AWAY, DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON IT, YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU BUY A JET JOE

rolsen12 03-10-2010 10:33 AM

Go to Dreamworks and get a Kingtech 80 and your problems will be at an end.

tp777fo 03-10-2010 12:51 PM

get a jet joe, a jet legend f20, a bag of marshmellows and a pack of hotdogs...then enjoy the picnic