RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Yellow F-18 (Single) turbine? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9911480-yellow-f-18-single-turbine.html)

gchdavid 08-04-2010 07:37 PM

Yellow F-18 (Single) turbine?

Hello guys,

I am looking from info from anyone that has owned or seen a turbine powered small Yellow Aircraft F-18, also known as the "single" version.

I am interested in gathering as much info as possible on this airplane.

I have a Jet Central Super Bee and would like something knew for it for next summer.

I am considering several models already and had a hard time finding much info on the small F-18.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Chris

rcjets_63 08-04-2010 08:39 PM

RE: Yellow F-18 (Single) turbine?

It's a great plane and will be perfect for your Super Bee. About 10 years ago, I wrote an article in RCJI on doing the turbine conversion. PM me your email address and perhaps I can answer some of your questions.

Regards,

Jim

jetsflying 08-04-2010 09:03 PM

i have a yellow small f-18 that i was thinking about selling......all the hard work done....primed and ready for paint
let me know if you are interested

Pepperpete 08-04-2010 10:01 PM

I am. PM'd.

gchdavid 08-05-2010 12:46 AM

Both PM'd.

If anyone else has any pics or info on a build like this post it on this thread.

Chris

jeteffx 08-05-2010 07:24 AM

I stuffed a RAM 750 into a "single" version, fly great, a little heavy, but had gobs of power!!

gchdavid 08-05-2010 08:22 AM

Any pics?

Chris

agent adds 08-05-2010 10:03 AM

I use a jet-cat p-60- with a tamjets pipe-
Nice comb for a scale flight.

ron Sweeney 08-05-2010 04:05 PM

Hi, I have the single with a Wren gold. My only problem is it is an old kit and made of polyester and is very brittle,... yuck! There is some video of my maiden flight on you tube somewhere. I think it is entitled 'yellow f18 single turbine conversion' Look under 'fire 42' who is my pal dave who posted it for me. I used the 2 DF tanks with a further tank in front of the intake. More info' if you need it. By the way a good flyer even off grass, Ron.

smitty1001 08-05-2010 04:24 PM

Holy shlitz malt liquor! A RAM750 in there? Wow weeeeeee!

gchdavid 08-05-2010 06:38 PM

Is this it?

It flies pretty well. Do you have any pictures of the install/construction?

Best regards,

Chris

jetsflying 08-07-2010 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
f18 pics

gunradd 08-07-2010 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pics someone posted on RCG of a yellow F18 single. Its the nicest one I have ever seen. It sure made me want one.

gchdavid 08-08-2010 12:19 PM

Wow, that looks really good ^

The last two pics are not working properly. Do you have any more pics?

Thanks.

Chris

jedijingle 08-08-2010 11:59 PM

Gunradd that does look nice, but it's not the "single" small version of the Yellow Bug. That is the big one.

Do a search there is a really good build thread on here from about 3-4 years back.

Shaun Evans 08-09-2010 12:28 AM

Jedi

Actually, I think the Gun is correct on this one. That's a really well-done single (small) version. ;)

gunradd 08-09-2010 07:04 AM

It is the single. He is using a stumax in it. Thats why I am so blown away with this one. If it was the big one they all look good but the little one with this kinda detail is crazy.

Here is the thread. Not really a build thread since he got it as an arf. But does have more info on how he got it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=yellow+f18

invertmast 08-09-2010 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: jedijingle

Gunradd that does look nice, but it's not the ''single'' small version of the Yellow Bug. That is the big one.

Do a search there is a really good build thread on here from about 3-4 years back.
the main gear struts, hatch between the big hatch and canopy gives it away as a single :) a verrrryy good looking single

jedijingle 08-09-2010 08:33 PM

Well prove me wrong, the detail and gear doors and such are off the Hook. That has got to be the baddest looking single I have seen. The gear must be from RC-Crafters. Would like to know what wheels those are.

dw_crash 08-11-2010 06:16 PM

Jim,

That Jet still flies today....only with a Behetoc instead of the GWM turbine. Great plane!!!

Dave

Hornet 1 08-12-2010 02:22 AM

WISH YELLOW AIRCRAFT WOULD BRING THIS ARF BACK......BUT READY FOR TURBINE USE. I BET AN 80SE WOULD FLY THIS PRETTY WELL. THE STOCK LANDING GEAR WAS OK BUT NOT FOR TURBINE USE. IT JUST WOULD BE NICE TO BUY ONE OF THESE WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY A TRAILER FOR TRANSPORT LIKE YOU WOULD HAVE TO WITH THE BIGGER HORNETS:D OR MAYBE A SUPER HORNET THIS SIZE BUT WITH THE YELLOW QUALITY NOW THERES A THOUGHT.

vega406 11-22-2010 03:54 AM

Hey Hornet 1 i still have your single Yellow F-18 Turbine i bought from you ...i have not flown it yet i got into the bigger Jets and twins so its just sitting looking pretty look at my gallery

basimpsn 11-22-2010 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: jeteffx

I stuffed a RAM 750 into a ''single'' version, fly great, a little heavy, but had gobs of power!!
I did the same thing. I only have take off data :D.

dw_crash 11-22-2010 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63

It's a great plane and will be perfect for your Super Bee. About 10 years ago, I wrote an article in RCJI on doing the turbine conversion. PM me your email address and perhaps I can answer some of your questions.

Regards,

Jim
To attest to the quality of this plane....Jim's still flies. Only a engine upgrade has been done. The GWM turbine is replace with a Behetotec JB55. Oh, new springs in the struts.

DW_Crash

rcjets_63 11-22-2010 11:43 AM

Dave,

Glad to hear that the plane is still around. It certainly is a well travelled jet having been based out of Montreal, Orlando, Albuquerque, and Edmonton.

What did you do with the GWM engine, donate it to a museum? Those were the days when starting up a turbine required some finese.....A hair dryer as a blower to spin up the model, variable flow propane valve which you slowly turned off to allow kero ramp up (all the while watching the exhaust gas temp), separate oil tank with a piece of bent music wire as a flow restrictor. These days it's flip a switch and go!!!

Regards,

Jim