Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage 21BB blew

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 08:16 PM
swissrok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 21BB blew

I had finally tuned in my 21BB engine, it took me a lot of patience to do so.... dual tank mod etc...but at the end it was running great!
after refueling, it suddenly stopped and I was unable to restart it, no compression, just dead.
while disassembling I found that the backplate of the starting shaft was completly loose, obviously HPI must have been short of thread lock. these were the only screws I didn't check after buying....
so what happened: because of the loose backplate the starting pin went off, it is now sticking somewhere between the connecting rod and the crankcase, it's impossible to move any part inside the engine, maybe with a hammer....

so I strongly recommend to everyone, check those screws, they are right under the pull- or roto-start!!!

what will be the best hop-up engine for the savage??? I use(d) rotostart....
thanx
Old 07-30-2003, 08:22 PM
NitroXtreme
My Feedback: (1)

Default Savage 21BB blew

Ofna engines are good. Ofna Picco .26 Outlaw is an awesome choice, your truck will be so powerful with that that you won`t never even think about putting a new .21BB in the truck.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Justintoxicated

Default Savage 21BB blew

HPI is supposed to have great service, send it in and get a new 21bb Pico .26 is a great upgrade, then you can keep the new 21bb for backup or another truck
Old 07-31-2003, 04:30 AM
cemeb4dk

Default Savage 21BB blew

my back plate cam loose also, didn't do the damage yours did. HPI should help out this is a common problem so your not alone.

As far as the picco I wouldn't say it is great, it has its share of problems like a bad pullstart, weak one way bearing housing and the carb needle, It has the power but to bad i had to buy the right LSN and send it back to ofna to have a beefier one way put in and buy a rotostart. I should of bought the hyper or the force .25
Old 07-31-2003, 06:05 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default Savage 21BB blew

so cemeb4dk r u saying u r not satisfied with ur picco26?u got the new 26 that came out, right ?i thot that problem was resolved already?my 8 port problem is only pull start on the 1st 5tanks but after that 1 pull it starts up to now..i was thinking of putting the 26 on the other one tho but if this problem persist then i might go with 8 port again
Old 07-31-2003, 10:52 AM
Kuma

Default Savage 21BB blew

You really shouldn't be using threadlock on any engine parts except for pullstart housing screws, the engine screws should be tight enough without threadlock. I hear many things about the 21BB and not many good things either, it's a bit expensive for its quality too (something like $140), I don't even suggest a Picco .26 since you'll spend more time tuning it- try a Hyper 8P with an OS #20E carb.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:33 AM
remten2001

Default Savage 21BB blew

The back plate on my savage is one thing i checked before running it for the first time cause i know from experiences with the ofna lines engines like the force .25 engine all backplate are not loctighted and the screws are always loose from the factory....

So next engine you buy check the back plate.....It can save you an engine....
Old 07-31-2003, 07:16 PM
swissrok

Default Savage 21BB blew

thanks to everyone
I just ordered a hyper 8port.....
Old 07-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Savage_Dias

Default Savage 21BB blew

My 21bb did the same thing but aside from a disfigured spring I didn't have any damage.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:46 AM
cemeb4dk

Default Savage 21BB blew

i would not suggest the .26, alot of probs, as stated above, it has alot of power, but i don't think its worth it. i have the force .25 in my buggy and i love that engine, if you like the hyper i would stick with it
Old 08-01-2003, 01:37 AM
HobbyGuyRC
My Feedback: (3)

Default Savage 21BB blew

I've got a Hyper 8 Port I'll sell you. It's brand new still in the box. Send me an email at [email protected] if you are interested. Mike
Old 08-01-2003, 05:27 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default Savage 21BB blew

swissrok ull be happy with it ..just dont forget the blow dry when u break in ur gonna need it
Old 08-01-2003, 01:24 PM
thunderdone

Default Savage 21BB blew

WHy not put thread lock on those screws? That is what I did on my Torq .21 when I put a new crank in it because I bent mine torqing the clutch nut screw down. I know the engines get hot but what harm will the loctite do?

By the way, there is nothing wrong with the Duratrax engines. If anyone says there is, do they actually have first hand experience? Starts right up, keeps a tune, and besides what is said all the time has good power.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Kuma

Default Savage 21BB blew

Threadlock will melt and lose its effect.

And for the Hyper 8P break-in, also ensure the piston is at bottom dead center when you're done running a break-in tank for cooling so the sleeve won't sieze the piston on the next tank.