Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

What type of alum is used in chassie of savage, maxx etc

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

What type of alum is used in chassie of savage, maxx etc

Old 10-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What type of alum is used in chassie of savage, maxx etc

was looking to do a project with this alum, but when i look up sheets to order on mcmastercarr i get confused, is this stuff realy a lower grade than 6061?
i say this mostly because of prices i see
what is the common alum grade used for factory chassie construction?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 PM
ntrain42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What type of alum is used in chassie of savage, maxx etc

ORIGINAL: Lorduss

was looking to do a project with this alum, but when i look up sheets to order on mcmastercarr i get confused, is this stuff realy a lower grade than 6061?
i say this mostly because of prices i see
what is the common alum grade used for factory chassie construction?
Honestly, it may or may not be 6000 grade aluminum, but it really doesnt matter. 6000 series aluminum is really cheap itself, its very soft. The better aluminum parts are going to be made out of 7000 series aluminum(like 7075), but you rarely see it in this hobby, and its significantly more expensive(bar stock of 7000 series is 2-3 times more expensive).
Old 11-12-2010, 01:30 PM
AdamHeard

anything plate is likely 6061, and possibly (as stated above) 7075 or another 7k series.

Neither of those bend well (especially 7k) at small radii, so the baja and other bent chassis are likely a 5000 series.

7075 is more exppensive, but for a small "scrap" piece which would be enough fora chassis wouldn't be too bad. Check ebay, and any local scrap places as possibe.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 PM
AdamHeard

Avoid mcmaster for metal at all cost, its highway robbery.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Radioman193

the kind that came from under the ground..........
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,
Who is better than mcmaster? i know there are alot of hobby metal retailers online
paying for shipping to me is robbery, i use to live near a fantastic metal supply store, but you realy only find those in huge citys, very disapointed i have to even pay for shipping now
Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: AdamHeard

anything plate is likely 6061, and possibly (as stated above) 7075 or another 7k series.

Neither of those bend well (especially 7k) at small radii, so the baja and other bent chassis are likely a 5000 series.

7075 is more exppensive, but for a small "scrap" piece which would be enough fora chassis wouldn't be too bad. Check ebay, and any local scrap places as possibe.
Hehe, 6000 series is pretty darn easy to bend, by hand even. 7000 series on the other hand normally will "snap" before it bends.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 PM
AdamHeard

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

ORIGINAL: AdamHeard

Hehe, 6000 series is pretty darn easy to bend, by hand even. 7000 series on the other hand normally will "snap" before it bends.
Yes, you can get 6061 to bend, but you won't get clean tight radius bends out of it that people associate with sheet metal work. Larger radius bends work though.