Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

What do you all think of the Monster Pirate???

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

What do you all think of the Monster Pirate???

Old 08-03-2003, 04:38 AM
Rex2342

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you all think of the Monster Pirate???

I wanna here some info on this truck. Any problems out of the box?Is it good for bashing?Stuff like that.I need to know before my buddy buys one.I've read some things but not much so if you guys could tell what YOU think of it and any problems you've had with it that would be great.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:57 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i think it looks good ...but never seen one in action yet..why he wants this..maybe u can divert his attention to some other trucks
Old 08-03-2003, 06:02 AM
Rex2342

He's a cheap ***** like me and found a good deal on a NIB MP for 250$ with a never started Force21 and some good servo's.All it needs is the radio gear.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:06 AM
badboy2

mm sounds like a good deal...wouldnt he want a savage for 250 tho isee a lot of them now..but nobody can beat that NIB even me would think about it..my hs guy have one and it looks god but i never see it run
Old 08-03-2003, 01:53 PM
KILLER M. TRUCK

Default Not bad of a deal

Sounds like a nice deal. I don't know much about the MP's but I really haven't heard many complaints they are definately much more expensive than $250 and it sounds like it has some good upgrades maybe you can sell him one of your radios if you have any extras. If I didn't have a savage and I knew about a deal like that, that MP would be mine by now .
Old 08-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Rex2342

Does anyone else have any info?He bought it last night now so it will be here on Tuesday.Is it a durable truck or will he be buying parts for it like crazy?
Old 08-03-2003, 05:47 PM
caseyddr

MP driveline is weak for the size tires it has, and if u swap them for more reasonably sized ones, you will see a power/speed difference. The 2 speed upgrade also makes it very quick, being as its based off 1/8 buggy. Also buy dominator shocks for the front, and dominator shock towers, then you'll have a very good bashing, and race ready truck
Old 08-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Rex2342

What size tires will fit?I saw in the pic he had buggy tiese on it but there not included with the truck.The guy said he added the servo and played with it a little bit but never drove it or started it it just sat on his shelf.So i'm guessing it doesn't have a 2speed.What can he do to make the driveline stronger?
Old 08-03-2003, 06:06 PM
caseyddr

www.unlimitedengineering.com has some titanium parts you can get.. basically its a very pricey conversion.. once i saw all the things i needed on my list, i decided not to buy it. It can become a great racer, but if you want to race get the new Bergonzi (spelling?) or a Dominator. They are whats winning everything in the MT class. Not the over priced under stocked tmaxx or savage.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Rex2342

He;s not gonna race just be bashing with me and my Savage.He has a Buggy to but it's an Ultra LX pro and it breaks alot so he's gonna sell it and keep the MP.He caught the R/C bug so he'll probably buy what It needs to be the best.Thank for the info Casey it's good to have you back.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:02 PM
NitroXtreme
My Feedback: (1)

MP is a great truck! Good choice! Have driven it once ( I don`t own one but a guy let me drive it once). Well it was great!
Old 08-04-2003, 01:05 AM
caseyddr

if all y0our friend is going to be doing is bashing, then definately get it! itll go about 30 mph stock (with the big tires). I do highly recommend he replaces them though. Get the ofna nylon racing rims (very cheap) and some regular offroad tires and he'll be set! he'll love it.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:51 AM
Rex2342

30mph.....lol...he's gonna want to get a 2speed then.He likes driving fast and 30 won't satisfy him.He's already asking me what engine he can swap into it.He's been looking at the Wasp27 and the Pico26.Are these engines easy to drop in the MP?What do you mean by regular offload tires?

Are these what your talking about?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTG34&P=V
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTG35&P=0
Old 08-04-2003, 04:54 AM
Cal-Torque

I've got an MP. It's OK, but definitely needs the 2 speed and Dominator tires. I hate to tell you, but $250 is not a great deal. I've seen the new MP Sport RTR on EBay for $329. From what I've seen, the Sport version is just a normal Pirate with Dominator shocks... It has a Hyper .21, which is very comparable to the Force.
Funny that your buddy cheaped out on the truck, then's talking about buying a $300++ racing engine... The more logical thing would have been to buy a nice RTR Dominator off Ebay...
Regardless, I'm sure he'l have a blast! Good Luck
Old 08-04-2003, 05:51 AM
Rex2342

The add says it comes with a force21.I think it's the 80% kit that Ofna sells with the force21 but i'm not sure.I saw the same kit on Tower for 270 without the engine but it also says it's discontinued.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...te&FVPROFIL=++
Old 08-04-2003, 05:54 AM
caseyddr

rex if u want my honest opinion, gety our friend the Cen Factor MT2..... 280$ - 300$ Brand New, 45+ mph, won RC Car's mini MT shoot out, and dominated tmaxxes in stock racing. If you want more details ask me or Cen, but i HIGHLY recommend this truck for your friend.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:57 AM
Rex2342

He has already paid for it and it will be here on Wednesday but i'm just trying to learn a bit about it before I mess with it because he will more than likely bring it to me to tune and repair.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:00 AM
caseyddr

alright ill do a lil research for ya again, try to dig up what i knew about this truck.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:42 AM
NitroXtreme

Cen mt 2???? It`s only 1:10 scale man!!!!! And it has only .16 size engine MP is a true 1:8 scale beast, it`s an awesome truck!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Rex2342

We got the truck today and it is defiantely brand new.This thing doesn't have a scratch on it.I see what you mean about getting normal tires for it.These are huge and very heavy.Do they make adapters or something so you can use T-Maxx or Savage wheels?Thier just easier to find and our LHS has lots of them in stock.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Kuma

The MP is a cool truck but getting outdated quick, MBX R2/Pro/LX Pro parts should be compatable with the MP. You may get MT3 (I think they're called that) wheel adaptors for Savage/T-Maxx tires which should work.

And NitroXtreme, the Cen MT2 can take a .21 easily and would be unbelievably wild for a 1/10 scale truck.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:17 PM
rcblaze

OK I own one and have for a long time now. First of all it's a great truck. The Maxx size rubber will fit if you use Ofna's MT3 wheels. But the big tires are for that intimidation factor and have great traction. The drive train is one of the toughest. And to say it's not your really misinformed. They use to have a problem with the diffs blowing but that has since been corrected at the factory I believe. But lets say it's not it's just a matter of shimming the diffs correctly. Then it can handle anything. This things were the first truck I remember runnningRB c4's and high end engines. This truck is what the Dominator is based on. For bashing I wouldn't worry about the front shock Mod. Get a Hot engine and go for broke till you feel like upgrading stuff. I could go on and on but just go here they have all the MP info from the beginning. This Truck was the original Tmaxx killer if there is such a thing.

http://pub24.ezboard.com/brcmtnet44998
Old 08-08-2003, 03:17 AM
new72Savage

all i can say is i love the servo saver set up. gonna use it on my savage!!