Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Help! - I'm New To Nitro R/c

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 01:33 AM
CrazyModGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! - I'm New To Nitro R/c

I owned a T-Maxx about 2 years ago, but had no time for it and didn't know enough about tuning in general. I sold it, but now that the cost of the 2.5 has come down and I have a bit more time on my hands I want to get a T-Maxx (2.5). I want to get a "feel" for tuning the carb so I won't be running to the hobby shop every 5 mins. So my question is: Am I better off buying a used T-Maxx 2.5 that has already been broken in, saving me the stress and hassle of breaking in the engine, but in turn, I wouldn't have the knowledge for tuning the car. Or I could buy a brand new T-Maxx (a little more $) and break it in myself, giving me a feel for tuning it later on? Thanks much for the help
Tim
Old 08-06-2003, 01:43 AM
TheQuakeKing
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i did buy a used one and it was a mistake. if you have the money(which it seems you do) buy a new one! you won't have to deal with other peoples stupidity towards the truck and you won't have to get it tuned up, repaired , etc. All in all, buying a new one and being patient with break in is the best way to go!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:59 AM
njmaxxin

get a new one!!! you dont want the "i wonder" effect. you will always wonder if the old owner broke it in right. plus the new one comes with a dvd, and a killer manual. i bought it as my 1st nitro and glad i did
Old 08-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Savage_Dias

It's hard to tell what was done to the used engine so go with a new one. Either way you go it will have to be retuned if you want the best performance. There's no such thing as an all condition perfect tune!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:02 AM
kosmo kramer

go with the new one have you looked at the savage ss?
Old 08-07-2003, 03:54 PM
8000ft

even with a used one you're still giong to have the tuning issues.
they all need to be tweeked depending on weather conditions so i would say that if you get a great deal on the used one plus the price of a new piston & sleeve and it is still less than the price of a whole new truck, go for the used. this would only be a good deal if you can also get the owners manual with it because there WILL be other things pop up that need servicing. also its good to have a "mentor" or a hobby shop that will help you out when you have questions.
i suggested the new piston & sleeve only because after you run the used engine for a while and get a "feel" for tuning you will soon want to replace the p&s and break it in your self so that you will know exactly what kind of treatment the enging has seen.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:58 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

buy a new one and get the September issue of XTreme RC Car and it has a whole guide on tuning engines in there