Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Steering Problems, HELP!!!

Old 08-15-2003, 03:38 AM
seaknight1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Problems, HELP!!!

While trying to break in a brand new T-maxx, my son got a bit over anxious and smacked a brick column for a mail box. Needless to say the mail box is fine, after looking at the damage I have replaced an upper arm and the front bulk heads. After putting all back together, I test drove it and I get a shimmy on the steering(specially in reverse). It will not hold a true straight line. Could someone please clue me in as to what I might have missed? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Juan C. Andrade
Old 08-15-2003, 03:49 AM
Maxxer
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, you might have broken a steering knuckle or check your steering links.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:59 AM
seaknight1962

Are there any particular settings that I should look for? As far as measurements and such? Would the servo have anything to do with it?
Old 08-15-2003, 04:01 AM
Maxxer

Are you saying like toe-in and toe-out??
Old 08-15-2003, 04:07 AM
seaknight1962

Yes, as in toe in and toe out. I failed to measure the distance of the arm to the knuckle, would this be a factor? Also thanks for the prompt reply.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:18 AM
Maxxer

Im not sure of any measurements just as long as the front wheels are practicaly straight, there are no fine adjustments. Check your servo and hold the front tires and turn with your TQ-3 raidio. If your servo clicks and skips then you need new servo gears. You could have damaged one of your wheel bearings, they are located in your steering knuckle, or you could have lost one. Check your bearings and take off both front wheels and then grab your drive shaft at the tip and try to move it around, not spinning the shaft but just moving it up and down there should be very little play, if there is a good amount of play(1/8th inch upand down) then replace both the inside and out side bearings.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:19 AM
Gumbe

If you didnt mess with your turnbuckles i would think your tow is alright.

Did you check your servo mounts or see if the servo saver(on your servo) is broken.

Also check your steering assembly make sure a post isnt broken or something stupid like that.

most problems are and can be a simple over sight of one small detail. We all go through it. It can be frustrating as hell.

Good Luck
Old 08-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Savage_Dias

Make sure all the screws are tight, especially the ones holding the steering linkage to the chassis. Also check to see that you put the wheels back onto the hex nuts.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:33 AM
seaknight1962

I would like to thank all of you who had input on this problem. I found it to be a servo problem, the root cause would have to be a bad set of gears inside the servo. Also the servo saver seemed to be damaged. I replaced the servo with a Hitec HS-645MG high torque servo. I do have a question regarding the new servo. Would the new servo be a limiting factor on the life of the batteries for the receiver?

Juan C. Andrade
Old 08-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Gumbe

The 645 MG servo is a great servo have one in mine. Get rid of the servo saver and go get a pro-line steering kit if you want your 645 to last.

Have not really seen a difference with the 645 . But i really stay up on having fresh batteries. Sucks when your batteries die and your car takes off full throttle, and you failed to get a fail safe