Default dirt demon

dirt demon or savage ss help me please,which is bigger and taller
and which is better
Old 08-15-2003, 05:49 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirt demon

dirt demon is bigger but only few have them idk why but i guess the savage is better
Old 08-15-2003, 05:58 PM
packerfan3001
My Feedback: (1)

Default dirt demon

dirt demon is bigger harder to get parts for id say go for te savage
Old 08-15-2003, 06:00 PM
remten2001

Default dirt demon

SAVAGE
Old 08-16-2003, 05:55 AM
badboy2

Default dirt demon

if u want to be included in a exclusive club get the dirt demon..cuz they only have 49members worldwide that means if u buy it ull be 50th dirtdemon owner..j/k ive read a couple of dd owners and theyre also havin problems which is natural but the sad part is less support
Old 08-16-2003, 06:07 AM
tjmaxx

Default dirt demon

I would say the savage cause of part availability.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:06 PM
caseyddr

Default dirt demon

screw the savage, get the dirt demon, it runs hard and has great traction. Its most likley going to be the next vehicle i get. Forget the crummy savage, its like buying a civic... every1 and there mom has one. Jus about any local hobby shop can order parts for you so its not a problem. Dont let ppl scare you away from other brands, u shoulda heard the crap i got for getting the terra crusher.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:15 PM
tjmaxx

Default dirt demon

why would you want to have to order parts everytime you break something. with a more popular truck you just go to your lhs and get the part's you need.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:06 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default dirt demon

LOL Sure ever mom has a civic but can your moms civic do a 13 on the quarter mile?

The dirt demon definitely is impressive. I've heard good things about it from people who own it. But online, I see some complaints.

I can get parts for them locally. but given the SS vs DD I'd go with the Savage.

ram
Old 08-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Cal-Torque

Default dirt demon

"Forget the crummy savage, its like buying a civic... every1 and there mom has one."
That's ridiculous.
Just because a lot of people now have Savages doesn't mean that they're crap, or you shouldn't get one... If you just like to be different, that's great. The world would be boring if everyone was alike. But, don't cut down a product because it's popular.
We're not talking about the sucky TMaxx here (LOL), the Savage IS a good truck. And, I'm not one of those people that would scare others away from different brands. I have a TC. It's a rock-solid truck, just severely underpowered...
whodoes, the Demon is bigger and taller... Better? That's the question. I haven't seen any really positive comments other than from caseyddr. It's based on the Duratraxx Thunderquake which has some issues... If you're a newb, I would recommend the Savage RTR; there are some quick-fix things to deal with out of the box, but nothing serious. And, consider all the on-line help, and parts availablity. Regardless of what anyone says, that should be a factor in your purchase.
Good Luck
Old 08-16-2003, 10:41 PM
packerfan3001
My Feedback: (1)

Default dirt demon

Originally posted by Cal-Torque

We're not talking about the sucky TMaxx here (LOL)
lol agreed thats why i got a S-maxx
Old 08-16-2003, 11:47 PM
caseyddr

Default dirt demon

Originally posted by Cal-Torque
"Forget the crummy savage, its like buying a civic... every1 and there mom has one."
That's ridiculous.
Just because a lot of people now have Savages doesn't mean that they're crap, or you shouldn't get one... If you just like to be different, that's great. The world would be boring if everyone was alike. But, don't cut down a product because it's popular.
We're not talking about the sucky TMaxx here (LOL), the Savage IS a good truck. And, I'm not one of those people that would scare others away from different brands. I have a TC. It's a rock-solid truck, just severely underpowered...
whodoes, the Demon is bigger and taller... Better? That's the question. I haven't seen any really positive comments other than from caseyddr. It's based on the Duratraxx Thunderquake which has some issues... If you're a newb, I would recommend the Savage RTR; there are some quick-fix things to deal with out of the box, but nothing serious. And, consider all the on-line help, and parts availablity. Regardless of what anyone says, that should be a factor in your purchase.
Good Luck
i have never heard a negative thing about the hot bodies dirt demon from somebody that actually owned it. On the other hand, if somebody doesnt own it, they bash it down like its a tmaxx (hahah!!) Yah, I'll admit, the savage (cough..) is a good truck, jus not my personal taste. I don't want to have something everybody and there mother has. (btw 13 second civic isnt that fast) And your also comparing two companies, one built cheap and suppots basically nothing, and hot bodies who have hop ups for all sorts of brands that are actually very nice. There tornado even got a good review from RC Xtreme and they are pretty strict.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:28 AM
Cal-Torque

Default dirt demon

Where did I bash the Demon??
Do a search on the Demon. It was either here or on radiocontrolzone that there was a fairly comprehensive review (from an owner) and it wasn't overly positive. If I recall, he said that HB customer service sucked, and he couldn't find parts. I have owned both the new T and old, so I can make reference to that truck (IMO they both suck...). How are we not supposed to compare 2 different companies? I think that only Ofna and Duratrax make more than one 1/8 MT, so I don't get your point. That's like saying that we shouldn't compare Ford, GM and Dodge...
I don't have any first-hand experience with HB, but they picked a crap platform for their truck. I have the Duratraxx NitroQuake (predecessor to the TQ), and it's awful. But, that's not necessarily saying anything about the Demon... In my mind though, they would have been better off starting from scratch taking a good design and making it better, rather than using a virtually identical truck and tweaking a few things (the dual shocks are a questionable "upgrade"; thumbs up for the new motor). But, that's just IMHO.
PS Do you recall ever seeing a really negative review in a mag or on-line sponsored site? I don't.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:16 PM
whodoes

Default dirt demon

thanks a whole lot guys savage all the way . got a hold of .21 yesterday from my nephew and i make a believer out of me it climb the curb jump thru it and run like hell even on the grass
boy it looks like a lawn-mower from hell...and the only thing that was modified was the air filter ill post the pix later anywayz thank you...
Old 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM
RippinXC

Default dirt demon

I have been reading up on the DD alot lately and ordered one today. Most of the "bad press" it has been getting is from people who don't like it because it is not a Savage and "parts are not at the LHS." It has only been out since like April-May, did the Savage have instant support in the LHS's? I don't think so. Anyways who makes alot of the hop-ups and aftermarket stuff...HotBodies. I believe they are going to support there own product as much as they support others, don't you?

There have been owners complaining about there DD's and for real reasons but most of the negative posts are later followed up by that same person saying that they were just blowing steam and admitting it was there fault or that it was not as bad as they had though. I remember one in particular that someone had trouble and Hot Bodies actually replaced the entire truck for them for no charge. I have also heard that they are being really responsible for broken part early on if you send them back.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I will post how I do with my DD once it arrives in about a week. I am looking forward to tearing it up and stomping on some T-Maxx's and Savage's
Old 08-19-2003, 01:08 AM
popa71

Default dirt demon

Locktite all your allen screws on the diffs, rebuild all the shocks because they are not well constructed and will leak , Prepare to take it to your local hobby shop because the gears will strip out everytime you run it , The transmission is garbage, Locktite the back plate because it will fall off. One good thing is the motor runs strong and cool but the one way bearing will go inside the first week. I defended my Dirt Demon to the end but the reality is it had way to many problems to even consider keeping it. Keep in mind all these things happened while I was running on asphalt. I never even jumped it. I have had the T-maxx, T-maxx 2.5, Dominator, Nitro Rustler, Rs4 Racer 2 and now a Savage and believe me when I say this truck is horrible . Although you will be fooled by how easy it starts and breaks in at bout the 5th tank get ready to get upset the issues will hit you like Mke Tyson !!!!!!
The worst thing was I traded in my Sirio T-Maxx for it!!!!

Last but not Least BUY A SAVAGE!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	102781_39857.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	57722  
Old 08-19-2003, 05:46 PM
caseyddr

Default dirt demon

Originally posted by RippinXC
I have been reading up on the DD alot lately and ordered one today. Most of the "bad press" it has been getting is from people who don't like it because it is not a Savage and "parts are not at the LHS." It has only been out since like April-May, did the Savage have instant support in the LHS's? I don't think so. Anyways who makes alot of the hop-ups and aftermarket stuff...HotBodies. I believe they are going to support there own product as much as they support others, don't you?

There have been owners complaining about there DD's and for real reasons but most of the negative posts are later followed up by that same person saying that they were just blowing steam and admitting it was there fault or that it was not as bad as they had though. I remember one in particular that someone had trouble and Hot Bodies actually replaced the entire truck for them for no charge. I have also heard that they are being really responsible for broken part early on if you send them back.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I will post how I do with my DD once it arrives in about a week. I am looking forward to tearing it up and stomping on some T-Maxx's and Savage's
yay some1 who doesnt listen to the masses! I heard the same garbage from everybody except owners of the Terra Crusher. Ppl dont realize personal taste comes over everybody elses. I like how massive the terra crusher is, its what was the deciding factor in getting it. The Savage and Tmaxx are jus so puny compared to it or the Dirt Demon. Now my only problem is trying to find out what to buy next.. hmm :O
Old 08-19-2003, 08:47 PM
popa71

Default dirt demon

Can you read I had the Dirt Demon and it was the worst mistake of my Rc life. I was told not to get it but It looked so impressive I could not resist. I lost $200 dollars because the Demon was $100 more than the Savage and it cost another $100 to negociate the trade. I gave you solid information on my experience in my last post. If you wanted to hear great thingsabout the truck call Hot Bodies dont ask the people that have them!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:39 AM
jrkessler

Default dirt demon

Buddy has a DD. Cant get thru 1 tank of gas without the spur gear eating a hole in the the pinion. Cant get any support from HB and just leaves it sit. Cant sell it cause on one will give him anything for it. Buy the Savage. Just my opinion.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:26 PM
fpp

Default Dirt Demon

I've read a lot of negative opinions about the Dirt Demon, mostly from people whose only experience with it is looking at a picture.

After watching a lot of other trucks run, I decided to buy a T- maxx
or Savage and install a bigger engine. This would be expensive but I was bored with the lack of power on these heavy trucks.
That's when I discovered the Dirt Demon which already comes with a big .26 engine. I bought one. Its a great truck. Very fast, awesome power, real attitude. The engine starts and runs flawlessly. I've gone head to head with the Savage and it blows the Savage away. Bigger, faster, nastier.
The radio and servos are very good. The adjustable suspension eats up the roughest terrain.

Its true that the 1st run units had some bugs, most of which have been worked out on the units available now. On the 1st run units the shocks fell apart and the electric starter overheated.

I took JerryO's advice and drilled cooling vents in the starter and it works fine.

The customer service is the best I've come across as Hot Bodies have immediatly attended to questions or problems and replaced any broken parts at no charge.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Porsche959

Default Why not buy two?

Buy two Monster Trucks!

First buy:

1. the popular "hop-upable" HPI Savage or T-maxx or demon...flip a coin!
2. then the discontinued, less popular, TAMIYA Terra Crusher

But Then...

1. jump and smash up the popular HPI savage or whatever to your hearts delight

2. BUT Don't even open up the Terra Crusher box! keep it as an investment (wait 10 years and be delighted how much it will be worth, because of it's rarity)

I'm an old-school RC freak...
I bought 6 Tamiya RC cars a long time ago in 1988

I built, played, raced, and beat the hell out of 3 of them:
(The Frog, Boomerang, & Monster Beetle)

But I also saved 3 of them: (I never even opened the shrink wrap on the box)
(Porsche959, Blackfoot, Avante)

right now my mint cond. porsche959 is worth well over $1000!
i wonder what it will be worth in 10 more years!?

so i say spend money on two MT's
imagine what we'll be playing with in another ten years
the ones we've got rarely available today will be worth something tomorrow.

just some words of foresight,
i think the terra crusher will be worth something someday! so get one while you still can!

Old 09-27-2003, 08:45 PM
frambo

Default RE: Why not buy two?

BUT Don't even open up the Terra Crusher box! keep it as an investment (wait 10 years and be delighted how much it will be worth, because of it's rarity)
He he he!

Does anyone out there own a Terra Crusher? I almost bought one when they forst came out but ended up buying another t-maxx instead due tothe very limited front end travel on the TC....

Just wondering if anyone has the TC and how they like it?!
Old 10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
seeleyji

Default RE: dirt demon

hey there whodoes i would go with the dirt demon due to the fact if people dont get them and put them out there the after market support will not be there eaither due to the fact they wont sell duratrax thunder quake is the same chassie and every thing else so i dont see why hot bodies wont have the support for it as well they have a lot of stuff for the savage t-maxx thunder quake ofna so dont worry about the support i say be different and you will get the looks and the questions.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:00 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

You know.. The DD doesnt look like its selling very well. But it might have some Antique value in a few years!

And casey.. I do agree with the point of view. I am the same way, which is why I didnt buy an OS engine for my buggy

I dont think the tmaxx is even in question in this thread, but I would consider other trucks like the TC (isnt there a new one comin out??). I'm kinda behind when it comes to the latest MTs but I personally wouldnt buy the DD(to play with) because of what I've seen locally.

That thing is a BEAST! And I can see why popa71 bought it. The mere sight of it makes you want to write a check. It makes the Savage SS look like "Docile SS"

But remember that when things get bigger, if the materials used doesnt get stronger, the truck as a whole becomes more fragile.
Unless your a collector, hell bent on buying one, I'd look elsewhere.

Heck, take a look at the EK4 if you want a real monster. It, like the DD is a high maintenance ride. But at least you can brag! lol (unless it makes you look like a newbie at the track by breaking)

13s civic? Fast enough to drive on the streets! A beefed up suspension is what I enjoy the most. I like corners+speed more than just speed. Its safer that way. Office parks have the best roads for "lets try to push 63 thru that turn" type of driving and the lest number of cops! And doin 90 on the highway isnt worth losing your license. Two of my dumb friends just lost theirs for 6 months!

Ram
Old 10-10-2003, 09:05 AM
popa71

I had the Dirt Demon for several months and in that time I went back and forth to the Hobby shop 10 times for a broken truck while only getting 3 or 4 tanks through the truck. I traded that hunk of junk for a Savage and Ive had it for 4 months and have run 1 1/2 gallons throughit and only replaced one part. The demon looks tough but its drivetrain is not contructed for abuse. I never even ran mine on the off road and it broke every time I pulled the throttle.

Think about it there are a lot of guys who own that truck on this forum but how many have you seen start a thread talking about how good it is. The only time you here them is when someone bashes it they feel they most defend it. Every day you have Savage owners singing praise to their truck. Where is the Dirt Demon praisers?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.