RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Holy cow!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 06:19 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy cow!

Just saw in the new issue of RC Car Action, a Hot Bodies ad page with a .46 conversion kit for the HPI Savage, that ought to be the next "big" thing in conversions and might catch up with the current Thunder Tiger EK4! Has anyone seen, read or heard about this and plan to get it? I have thought about the Savage SS and might buy it after Christmas, and if the .46 goes through, perhaps grab that next summer if the outcome turns out well. Though the HPI S25 is looking good in the videos, maybe I won't need the .46 for "macho power".

From the looks of the .46 engine, it looks a bit like a .21 crankcase, would be wild to fit that on a 1/8 scale buggy and rip differentials with it.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:32 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holy christ!

Yeah its been the talk for a week or two on all the boards. At $500 I'm not sure why anyone is to excited about it. There are alot of unanswered questions, like how will a converted airplane engine be able to produce the RPM to give the Savage any where near its stock top speed with a .21. I wouldnt think a .46 plane engine couldnt spin reliably above 21k rpm.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:53 AM
bubbafien

Default Holy christ!

i started a thread about this nearly 3-4 weeks ago.

bubbafien
Old 09-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Savage_Dias

Default RE: Holy christ!

I was way off. I thought I read about it being a .71 or something like that. Guess I smoked too much crack that day. lol
Old 09-29-2003, 05:02 PM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Avalanche-RCU

Yeah its been the talk for a week or two on all the boards. At $500 I'm not sure why anyone is to excited about it. There are alot of unanswered questions, like how will a converted airplane engine be able to produce the RPM to give the Savage any where near its stock top speed with a .21. I wouldnt think a .46 plane engine couldnt spin reliably above 21k rpm.

your right, Airplane engines and 4 strokes can't compare in RPM BUT!!! they have WAY WAY MORE TORQUE, now... with more torque... you can change the gearing, properly, you will have a truck that runs just as good...... for instance i used to run a .40 4 stroke T-maxx..... just had to gear it right.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Avalanche

ORIGINAL: miserynitro

ORIGINAL: Avalanche-RCU

your right, Airplane engines and 4 strokes can't compare in RPM BUT!!! they have WAY WAY MORE TORQUE, now... with more torque... you can change the gearing, properly, you will have a truck that runs just as good...... for instance i used to run a .40 4 stroke T-maxx..... just had to gear it right.
Unfotunaltely the gearing options are not yet out there for the Savage the way they are for the Maxx.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:42 PM
bubbafien

just get an 18 or 19 tooth cb and a smaller spur and you will be fine.

bubbafien
Old 09-30-2003, 11:08 AM
bigjdubb

Default RE: Holy cow!

From what I read the block is the only thing left of the plane engine. Supposedly it was made to churn out the RPM's.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:47 PM
XtremeDad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=cool.gif] How about this link to that .46 Monster ?
Link> http://www.savageunleashed.com/index.php?topic=news
Old 09-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Avalanche

ORIGINAL: bigjdubb

From what I read the block is the only thing left of the plane engine. Supposedly it was made to churn out the RPM's.

Got a link to what you read? Id like to check it out.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:00 PM
NePats-Fan

HPI seems to be forgetting something! A cooling fan! 4-strokes produce considerably more heat than a 2-stroke.

Does anyone know the make of the engine?
Old 09-30-2003, 05:10 PM
bigjdubb

They talked about it in one of the magazines I have at home. I will look when I get off of work and let you know what issue.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:26 PM
bubbafien

it is a 2 stroke

bubbafien