Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Super Charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 12:28 AM
maxxaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Charger

Man these "Super Chargers" are one hell of a Gimick. First of all, you wash to much fuel out because of the pressureized air so you lose performance and lean out way to much. Second, the intake is ontop of the head so you are pumping in hot air. I hope by now you can figure out that hot air lowers performance and cold air is where its all at. cold air condenses so you can put more air and fuel into the case every piston stroke. The hot air also makes your engine run hotter. Third thing is that the "belt" that connects the supersharger is chinsy and will snap or if (and when) your engine over heates it will melt and snap. Fourth there little engines are NOT running Gasoline, they are running Nitro Methane, the same stuff used in funny car Dragsters. The profesional dragsters (not R/C, im talkin the real deal) dont use superchargers because it will ruin the whole purpose of haveing Nitro Methane. It will over lean it and it will lessen the amount of Nitro in each stroke and replace it with plain AIR. I run a cold air intake and it smokes the super charger. just use a piece of heat resistant nylon (kinda like and exaust deflector) and pop it on your car, then your air filter on the end of that. it will be far away from the heat sink so cold dense air will fill the cylinder and your performance will shoot up. Now this set up is very easy and will cost you a doller fifty (and an extra 50 cents if you need a support bar for a long nylon tube). Wow that beat 150 bucks. now with your remaining 148 dollars pick up a new engine and a low restricting air filter and u are set to go. By the way, in R/C Car Action Magazine, i quote "it is completely safe to cheat your nitro percentage by 5% or even 10% depending on the quaility engine and amount of oil in the fuel" so if you run O'Donell RTR fuel, and your engine is recomended 10%-20% Nitro, you can do 30% nitro. if you run O'Donnel Race Blend, you can run 25% Nitro. O'Donell makes the best fuel by fare. hope something in that helped you a little.

Later
Old 09-04-2003, 12:47 AM
yrral

Default Super Charger

thank you very much for the info....i was interested in them and thought they were really cool. but i thought, since it's blowing air in, you'd need to set the HSN so more gas gets in and then you can only run for so long 'til refill. plus when i saw the price i said forget that. but what you told me, really helped me in desiding to get it or not.

Also...i didn't know about:
"I hope by now you can figure out that hot air lowers performance and cold air is where its all at. cold air condenses so you can put more air and fuel into the case every piston stroke. The hot air also makes your engine run hotter."

Thanks...now that i know that, i'm gunna go make it so it's further from the engine.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 09-04-2003, 01:17 AM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Super Charger

Originally posted by maxxaholic
Fourth there little engines are NOT running Gasoline, they are running Nitro Methane, the same stuff used in funny car Dragsters. The profesional dragsters (not R/C, im talkin the real deal) dont use superchargers because it will ruin the whole purpose of haveing Nitro Methane. It will over lean it and it will lessen the amount of Nitro in each stroke and replace it with plain AIR.
i definatly agree with you on the whole thing about it being crap supercharging is not a smart idea with 2 stroke. however i am not sure what drag racing u are whatching but NHRA top fuel and funny car both use supercharger...or commonly refered to as blowers. the big belt that is in the front is the drive belt for the supercharger that sits on top of the engine. Not trying to bash just wanted to let you know that they do run superchargers and 90%nitro fuel (i think it is 90% there is some rule where it cannot be 100% though)
Old 09-04-2003, 01:44 AM
fourwheeler

Default Super Charger

your right about that shadow 102. The nitro rule in NHRA is set at 90%.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

Default Super Charger

ok thanks i was thinking it was 95 or 90 just couldn't remember...all i remember is that it burns a whole lot
Old 09-04-2003, 02:10 AM
fourwheeler

Default Super Charger

I think I remember reading that in top fuel they burn something like 15 gallons from start up to end of run. And so far as the supercharger on a savage it is a cool idea but it won't work with a 2 stroke engine like the savage has.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:25 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Super Charger

Thanks for the good info.

A Supercharger is GREAT for cars, where the fuel air ratio can be ELECTRONICALLY adjusted. I really dont understand why every car doesnt have one! Its like having a diesel without a turbo.

Oh wait.. then they cant slap on a supercharger and change the name to "SuperSport" and charge $5000 more!

Anyway.. thanks for the thread

ram
Old 09-04-2003, 02:56 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super Charger

and we've still never heard from anyone thats bought one,wonder if they ever sold one?
Old 09-04-2003, 07:35 AM
canadianjosh

Default Super Charger

it's a concept for ppl with lots of money to burn, hey maybe they'll make and engine that runs on one dollar bills?!?!! Anyways the whole drag racing bit, you know that big funny triangular shaped thing that sits ontop of the engines with those huge throttle vains?? those are blowers, and trust me, NHRA cars engines are supercharged to the very limit, ever seen one blow up??? If you wanted to invest time and money, get a reduction gear set, and an impeller for a ducted fan aircraft and rig your self a belt driven turbo/supercharger, this way, cold air, compressed and nitro all in one package. One other thing, you wanna goreal fast, up the nitro and invest in some good cooling and oil, take a walk on the wild side run youreself some 40-50% nitro
Old 09-04-2003, 06:46 PM
yrral

Default Super Charger

Hey maxxaholic,

"just use a piece of heat resistant nylon (kinda like and exaust deflector) and pop it on your car, then your air filter on the end of that. it will be far away from the heat sink so cold dense air will fill the cylinder and your performance will shoot up. Now this set up is very easy and will cost you a doller fifty (and an extra 50 cents if you need a support bar for a long nylon tube). "

My stupid friend needs to see a picture, if you can. i tried to explain it to him by drawing it, but he doesn't get it still and then asks me 'suppose it's totally different from what i think'.....

Thanks,
Larry

[email protected]
^^you can send pics there, or post here.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:43 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

Default Super Charger

my friend bought a supercharger, and it gained some on the top end. my guess is that the air being pushed in made the engine turn more rpm. and IMO the cold air intake you made, or bought on e bay, is even more of a gimmick than the super charger. i HIGHLY doubt that you are beating supercharged maxxes. your cold air intake, doesn't make a big enough difference in temp to boost performance. plus the addes length makes it harder for the engine to get air, thus making it run worse.

do a search i already had a post about this!

bubbafien
Old 09-04-2003, 10:31 PM
yrral

Default Super Charger

Hey bubbafien,l

what's your thread called? j/w....i'm interested.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 09-04-2003, 10:41 PM
bubbafien

Default Super Charger

info on rb innovations supercharger.

bubbafien
Old 09-05-2003, 01:30 AM
yrral

Default Super Charger

ok thanks, i'll check it out

Larry
Old 09-05-2003, 09:00 PM
Isphius

Default Super Charger

just because of the 2 stroke design a supercharger wont work...unless you pressurize the exaust too. maybe a valve over the exaust operated by cam like a 4 stroke. but then you would be squishing the fresh charge and exaust together unless it is timed write.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:04 PM
bubbafien

Default Super Charger

well itried it and it did work

not a $150 work, but it did.

bubbafien