Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

update on fantom performance with PHOTOS of current state...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

update on fantom performance with PHOTOS of current state...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 02:15 PM
flatlander_14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on fantom performance with PHOTOS of current state...

oh man, every time i run this truck the engine seems better and better. even when its fairly rich it will pump out a LOAD of power. it will flip if i dont watch the throttle. here are some photos of the current state it is in. the body posts are worn down, so ill need to replace those ASAP, my hummer body is cracked at the front fender and is like a floppy pancake now(no photos), and the rear bumper has been to hell and back. oh yeah, and the engine head doubles as a skid plate.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:44 PM
gHeTTo_SaVaGe

Default RE: update on fantom performance with PHOTOS of current state...

with the fantom did you have to replace the driveline components? which ones? i might get that engine but i dont want to blow up my drivetrain...
Old 09-16-2003, 02:57 PM
flatlander_14

not yet, but in the near future i will probably upgrade to mip center drives at least. if anything, those will give out first. it will cost maybe $50-60 when i get them?
Old 09-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Dlock

What pipe are you running on that thing?

Also if you want some decent prices on the MIP CVD go to www.rcboyz.com You can get a set of the centers for $44.99 http://www.carttonic.com/catalog/ind...t=0,9831,11888 Make sure you get the "Shiny" ones since they are thicker than the older style. You can also pick up a set for your corners for $44.99 also http://www.carttonic.com/catalog/ind...t=0,9831,11888

Another good place to look is on E-Bay.

If you want the ultimate CVDs check out Unlimited Engineering's. They are really sweet, and really expensive hehe http://www.monstermaxx.com/cvds.shtml There are cheaper places to get them, but still very spendy.

Good luck, and the Fantom looks sweet. Maybe once my 2.5 dies I will get one
Old 09-16-2003, 09:00 PM
packerfan3001
My Feedback: (1)

dowa the EZ start fit? if not how you startin it? only 148@stormer wow. What pipe ? thanks a bunch
Old 09-17-2003, 12:19 PM
flatlander_14

that is a sirio BB pipe

packerfan3001: i am still using the ez start, but i dont use the blue wire. i got my own glow igniter(dynamite metered/rechargable) for like $25. it works great. i ran i think 15 tanks over a span of 3 days and didnt charge any batteries at all. i just now have the on charge from last night. the ez start lasts a lot longer too. i think its the blue plug that drains all the power.

dlock: thanks for all the cvd referencesi dont think the fantom will put so much stress that the supermaxxes will be necessary, so i think the mips will do.

this engine is INSANE! i was out back chasing wrinkles(weinerdog) and niko(alaskan malemute/husky mix) and boy it is fast and loud lol. weinerdog ran and hid in the tomato garden while niko took turns playing tag lol. he would run and get within 5feet of the truck, stop, and run away. then repeat lol. but all while doing this it had crazy power. it is a lot harder to keep the front end down than to try and pop a wheelie. especially in grass. on pavement i gotta have a bit of speed, stop and slide 180 degrees, then nail the throttle a lot of the time to flip onto its roof. but i think its mainly due to tire slippage.

one suggestion if you get this engine, or any engine for that matter... buya temp gun/gauge! i runa venom temp monitor and it is great. it has saved me a few times. thanks to it the engine has never seen over 365 degrees i think. it helps tremendously when you tune the high end. i normally aim to get good temps within 300-330 depending on the temperature and stuff. the low speed you just tune so that there is still a good amount of smoke coming out the exhaust from a standstill, and keep an eye on temps. you can tell when it makes a transition from low to high speed needle if you nail it from a stop int he street. i runt he low speed a bit rich so it doesnt wheelie as much. i can see a huge puff of smoke, and about 1-2 seconds later it thins out some and thats when i know the high speed is taking control of the throttle adjustment.

yeah i love my fantom. does anyone know how mucha rebuild is?
Old 09-17-2003, 03:23 PM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

that's the fantom 18 right?... good torque?... thinking of picking one up!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Dlock

When you say rebuild, if you mean a new piston and sleeve then I might be able to help you. I don't know how much a brand new piston and sleeve are, but when I had to rebuild my trx 2.5 I sent mine in to get "pinched". Basically what happens is you send your sleeve to this guys and he "pinches" it. Not sure what he does exactly, but it comes back better than brand new. The piston and sleeve fit together better than if they were new. It's super tight, and only costs $25.00. If anyone wants the info, just PM me and I will give it to you......
Old 09-17-2003, 08:44 PM
flatlander_14

thanks, yeah i remember reading up on that. im worried it would be pinched too tight. i can barely crank the fantom over when its stock lol.