Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Leopard motor and Mamba Monster ESC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Leopard motor and Mamba Monster ESC

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:42 AM
adamdavis2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leopard motor and Mamba Monster ESC

I have a Mamba Monster ESC and I was wondering if I could run the Leopard 5692 730kv 4 pole 3y through it?

The motor is rated for 110 amps and the controller is rated for 120 amps.

I also didn't know if the wire and bullet connectors would match up?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2015, 06:04 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The short answer is yes and no. It really depends on what you're putting the motor into and how you're going to gear it. You could put that motor in a 1/5 Baja and use the MMM on 6s if you don't get greedy with the gearing and use mechanical brakes instead of the esc for braking. But if you're expecting 40+ mph out of it in a something as heavy as a Baja then you're going to be disappointed with the MMM and need to upgrade to the XL2 or another 1/5 esc.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 06-14-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:37 AM
adamdavis2

Thanks for the response. So here is the thing. I built a zip line dolly and am going to be using it for that. So it will be geared with a sprocket and chain and be driving 2 wheels and the dolly will weigh about 5-7 lbs. But I want something responsive that can change direction quickly? So I dont know if that is a better deal or not, since it wouldn't be in a big baja.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:39 AM
adamdavis2

I needed something with higher torque and lower RPMs so I didnt have to run it through a gear box. Any other ideas would be awesome!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Maj_Overdrive

The MMM needs 2s minimum, 3s would be better for more power and lower amp draw. Do you have a voltage in mind?

A dolly for a zip line huh. Well it's either for bringing the part people ride on back or for hauling stuff on the dolly. Now how much the esc and motor can handle is going to depend on the incline the dolly has to travel and how much weight you put on it, this determines the load which determines the amp draw.

In general I think the motor and esc will be fine on 2s if you keep the weight under 10lbs and the speed under 15mph. This assumes some incline but I'm also making assumptions here too. If you're looking to haul stuff up a steep incline you'll want to consider a higher voltage and an outrunner motor. Outrunners are available with a low kv, they're open and often have fans built in for cooling. They're torque monsters due to the higher pole count and can be cheaper to boot.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 PM
adamdavis2

Thanks man for the advice. I am actually using it for the cheetahs I work with as a chase toy. So not very much of an incline but high speeds, 50 to 60 mph? What do you think? I need it to stop fast and start fast. I have 2 3s thunder packs now, from an old project. Do you have any other motor ideas? I appreciate the help man.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Oh. Well that certainly changes things a bit. Considering the speeds you want and that you want pretty quick acceleration and direction changes I'd put those 3s packs in series for 6s. As for the motor, considering the weight I'd go with a 1/8 size (40mm diameter 74mm long) or bigger motor. Your 5692 is certainly bigger and means it will run cooler. The exact kv you need is going to depend on the tire size and a available gearing options, time to do some calculations. The esc should be fine but I wouldn't push it much faster.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:05 PM
adamdavis2

I am running a #25 chain drive, driving 2, 9 tooth sprockets to 2 separate 3 inch wheels with a 15 tooth drive sprocket. Should be speeds around 60 mph or so loaded. Thanks again.