Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Blackfoot charging question

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tamiya Blackfoot charging question

Old 08-16-2015, 07:13 AM
HanEyeAm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Blackfoot charging question

Hello! My son inherited grandpa's Blackfoot RC monster truck (first gen, I think). From what I've read, it came with 3 NiCD battery packs and alternately takes 8 1.5v batteries. We don't have the battery packs.

We have the AC adapter to plug in the truck, which I'm guessing means that if we had the battery packs that we could charge them in the truck.

I have not been able to locate battery packs other than potentially used and useless ones.

So my (long-winded) questions are...
1. Can I just put 8 NiCd batteries in the truck and charge them?
2. Does the truck automatically cut the power when the batteries are fully charged?
3. Are lithium batteries safe to use and charge?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should post some pictures of what you have because something doesn't sound right. If it's a Tamiya Blackfoot the truck is powered by a 7.2v NiCd or alternatively NiMh (same voltage, higher energy density) battery pack that's made up of 6 C cell size batteries. The transmitter on the other hand probably uses 8 AA size batteries. 7.2v NiCd packs are going to be hard to find and you don't want them when NiMh is readily available and much better performing.

To answer your questions
1. No idea, really gotta see pics here to be sure.
2. Again need to see pics, but no it probably doesn't stop charging automatically.
3. Lipos are safe, when used properly. Lipos need a charger that's specifically for Lipos or has a lipo charge mode, otherwise they become unsafe. Lipos also need an esc with voltage cutoff or a separate voltage alarm to alert you to stop running as running the voltage of the pack too low can hurt them.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:32 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Possibly a Tamiya Quick Drive mini version of the Blackfoot?

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-18-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:59 PM
RustyUs

Looks like the pack for the Blackfoot QD is made up of 8 AA sized cells. I'm not sure what that pack configuration is called anymore. I'm sure if you plugged in "9.6v rechargeable NiCd battery pack" a Yahoo! search you'll find a pack like the one you need. Or better yet, a NiMh pack .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_35.JPG
Views:	2190
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	2116128   Click image for larger version

Name:	22187834007_large.jpg
Views:	1998
Size:	684.9 KB
ID:	2116129  

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-22-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:49 PM
HanEyeAm

Thank you for the responses. Rusty, that's the model, all right. Here is a pic of the battery pack. The NiCd battery pack pic you found is sure interesting...maybe aftermarket. Definitely aftermarket, as the manual (found online for another model, but similar) suggests you need 2 battery packs which correspond to 4 1.5V batteries in each.

Regarding my OP questions, I'm going to assume that the in-vehicle charger is only safe for NiCd, but will also guess that i could charge 8 NiCd 1.5V batteries. Not sure if they will like being charged in serial, however.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150822_204242_295 (450x800).jpg
Views:	1510
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	2116152  
Old 08-23-2015, 07:55 AM
RustyUs

You could get away with NiMh cells as well. I see now that you are using indiviual cells, better yet. Maybe look for some Eneloop Low Self-Discharge NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries so you won't have to modify anything.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:32 PM
HanEyeAm

OK-great. Thanks for the advice!