Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
1/8 Scale electric MT Suggestions >

1/8 Scale electric MT Suggestions

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

1/8 Scale electric MT Suggestions

Old 12-13-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 Scale electric MT Suggestions

Hello everyone,

I am looking for your feedback on which MT you would recommend. I have worked with electric and nitro for years but, stopped for a few years. Started back up about 2 years ago. I have owned a 2wd pede since it initial release and put a VXL in it 2 years ago on 3s. I also own a Jato 3.3 for about 8 years now and I just purchased a used Slash 4x4. I had plans of using the Slash 4x4 VXL as my MT basis but, quickly realized that it is not the platform I want to use prior to putting the MMM that I was going to get for it.

Anyways, I tend to drive in the grass (mostly), street and dirt. I would like 1/8 scale, electric and capable of handling 5s or 6s. I do some small jumping but, nothing too much or too large. I would prefer to buy it new over used. I will probably start on 4s to begin with until I get adjusted to the truck then switch over to 6s. I would like it to be fairly fast as well. Ease of working on it is not a concern.

I have been looking at the Flux HP and LST XXL2-e. I have been looking at the Flux since the end of last year and finally decided to buy it a couple of weeks ago only to find that Tower does not carry them and no one locally has them. This lead me down to look at other options which was the LST. I like the availability of parts for the Flux but, I have read it is a tank and handles like a tank. The LST seems to have less part availability which is a concern for me but, handles significantly better. I looked at the XMaxx last night but, I do not think I would be content with a MT that maxes out at around 35 MPH. I have looked at the MT4-G3 but, parts where a concern.

I do not want this thread to become a "this truck is better than the other" type of thread. I am looking for your honest opinion and recommendation based on your experience of owning these trucks and based on what I plan on doing with this MT.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Old 12-13-2015, 06:18 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally own a LST XXL that I converted to brushless with my own homemade mounts. Its the best monster truck I've owned and other trucks I've owned include the TMaxx, 3905 Emaxx, Revo 3.3, Erevo, MGT and Savage. Yeah there's not as much aftermarket available but it really doesn't need it unless you want a bling machine. But there are aluminum parts out there (knuckles, c hubs, etc) to strengthen the truck if you find it necessary. Personally I don't think it's necessary. I ran my XXL into a mailbox at 30+mph and only broke the rod end on the shock. It took another pretty serious hit to break one of the front knuckles and that's the extent of my breakage for 4 years. From what you described about the driving you intend to do I'd just pick up some spares for the front suspension and not bother with any aluminum upgrades. Save your $ for batteries and maybe more powerful steering servos, the stockers are adequate but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to servo speed and power.

One thing to be aware of is the LST is still a monster truck though. Yes it handles better than a Savage in my opinion but it's not a truggy. The MT4-G3 is really just a truggy with big tires so it's not going to have the same amount of body roll and will feel sharper in general. The MT4-G3's tall tires do take away some of the sharpness but in general it's still like comparing your Stampede to your Slash 4x4. Never owned a MT4-G3 but from what I've read I'd avoid it for 6s use (diffs go even when shimmed perfect) and there's strengthening that should be done on the rest of the truck, particularly the shock towers and the chassis braces. If you want a truggy with big tires get an actual truggy and put big tires on it or an Aarma Kraton.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Maj_Overdrive, this is excellent information! I agree with what I plan on doing with it, I'm not too concerned with the aftermarket aluminum. What motor and esc are you running in your XXL-e?
Old 12-15-2015, 04:26 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My XXL has a Castle 1717 motor in it (same as Traxxas XO1 motor) with a regular old Castle Mamba Monster esc. I run it on 6s geared for about 55mph, super powerful setup that runs nice and cool. Its my favorite monster truck by a wide margin. Btw the XXL2e's dynamite motor and esc is really just a rebadged Castle Sidewinder8 motor and esc combo. Back to parts for a second, if you're not concerned with aftermarket aluminum and making a bling machine then parts are no problem. Sure stock parts aren't as common at hobby shops as Traxxas stuff is but like I said, get some spares for the front end and you'll be fine.

Btw another nice monster truck is the Team Associated Rival. It's basically the MGT with a new electric specific chassis. It's a solid truck but the electronics are 4s only so if you end up wanting more power you'd need to replace the motor and esc instead of just getting higher voltage batteries.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 12-15-2015 at 04:28 PM.