Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
1st post , new to the Hobby and have a few question. >

1st post , new to the Hobby and have a few question.

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

1st post , new to the Hobby and have a few question.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post , new to the Hobby and have a few question.

First off I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! this will be my first of hopefully many posts as I'm just getting back into the hobby after messing with buggies a bit in the early 90's. My 5 yr old daughter was fascinated with our neighbors r/c's and had been begging for a truck so here I am. I ended up ordering a Redcat racing Blackout 4wd brushless motor and after testing it out I decided to keep it and ordered her a ECX Ruckus 1/10 2wd brushed with lipo battery. After opening it up with great excitement Christmas morning we were very disappointed as the dynamite 15t motor burned up with in 10 min. while breaking it in. I was so pissed off I went inside and ended up ordering a Traxxas Stampede 2wd XL5 so hopefully this won't disappoint, any thoughts? What is a good brushed motor I can replace the dynamite that burned up with? Any thoughts on the Ruckus?
I will tell you this I've been blown away by the Redcat Racing truck, it has been bashed and thrashed hardcore since receiving it last week, I'm talking cartwheeling at top speed (and it crazy fast) numerous times while running down the road, doing 10ft. launches out of a burm and being rolled dozens of times shockingly nothing has broken. I was very hesitant about buying it but it was a great choice, way better handling than the Ruckus also. Again if someone could recommend a good brushed motor that will give some better performance for the Ruckus I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 12-28-2015, 06:47 PM

Any suggestions or thoughts? it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cape TruckMan,

Sorry to here about your ECX Ruckus. I just got into the hobby the past few weeks with the purchase of my ECX Ruckus. I like what I have so far. The motor and battery pack are definitely going to get upgraded soon. How long have you been in the hobby? I spoke with a few hobby people about the RedCats and they suggested I stay away due to parts being difficult to get.

Sorry I can't comment on a battery type. Are you going to keep the Ruckus? if not, what are your plans for it?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 67Stingrayj
Cape TruckMan,

Sorry to here about your ECX Ruckus. I just got into the hobby the past few weeks with the purchase of my ECX Ruckus. I like what I have so far. The motor and battery pack are definitely going to get upgraded soon. How long have you been in the hobby? I spoke with a few hobby people about the RedCats and they suggested I stay away due to parts being difficult to get.

Sorry I can't comment on a battery type. Are you going to keep the Ruckus? if not, what are your plans for it?
Thanks for the reply I was beginning to think this was a ghost forum..lol I actually took the Ruckus back to the local hobby shop where I purchased it and demanded a refund, after a hr or so of arguing I talked them into giving me store credit for it so I bought another Stampede. So now I have two Stampedes and the redcat racing blackout xte pro, one of the stampedes is my daughters and I'm probably going to leave it stock for now and the other one I just ordered a bunch of upgrades including a castle creations brushless system.I also ordered a HobbyWing brushless system that I read great reviews on that I was planning on putting in the Ruckus, the Stampede is plenty fast enough for my daughter so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I just got back into the hobby after messing around with buggies a bit in the early 90's, my neighbors have some cheap toy grade trucks and my daughter was fascinated with them so that's why I got back into it, and I'm totally hooked!
I was very hesitant about buying the redcat as I was told the same thing about parts being hard to get but after some researching I found all kinds of parts and upgrades online. I actually ordered a bunch of spare parts for it and the only thing I've had to replace is one screw in the front bumper. I am so happy I got it, for a little more than $200 this has to be the best value in r/c trucks. Totally stock strait out of the box this thing rips and has been bullet proof, honestly this truck has with stood some insane abuse. This past weekend I had the pleasure of racing it for the first time on a awesome bmx track that has been converted to a r/c course and it more than held it's own against much more expensive trucks.
I really wanted to like the Ruckus I love the looks of it, it has to be one of the biggest 1/10 trucks available but after my experience with it I got a bad taste for ECX, hopefully you have better luck with it. I did notice the steering is pretty poor on it, if you search online there is all kinds of great info on upgrades and fixes. A couple of the kids from the hobby shop that invited me to race had ECX trucks and really improved the steering by using the "tie wrap" fix.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:52 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeTruckMan
Thanks for the reply I was beginning to think this was a ghost forum..lol...
My guess is RC monster trucks aren't as popular as some other platforms? i don't know. I still like the looks of MTs. For me, I just jump over the section 'cause I don't/haven't own(ed) a "monster truck", but occasionally check things out here to amuse my mind. I combined my monster truck/crawler/4wd short course "wants" into a Axial Yeti purchase...probably one of my best (IMO) decisions I have ever made. It has a few quirks about it, but the Yeti is my monster buggy that I whip out, and let friends and family drive...testing out their RC driving skills...good, or bad .
Originally Posted by CapeTruckMan
I really wanted to like the Ruckus I love the looks of it, it has to be one of the biggest 1/10 trucks available but after my experience with it I got a bad taste for ECX, hopefully you have better luck with it.
That's the way I feel about Redcat Racing's RCs. I'm at the point in my RC life where I have enough RC vehicles to fall back on, and enjoy running when something goes wrong. When I looked into going with some lower priced RC platforms, Redcat Racing was always a front runner on my wishlists. After doing a lot (tons) of reading and looking at reviews of many brands, I have myself (I know I'm not the only one) convinced that some manufacturers are not worth the time and effort. Some RCs have great reviews, and the flip side, they also get a vote of poop. This 50/50 notion throws a red flag for me, and I steer clear. I'd be more inclined to give my business to manufacturers who offer kits for me to build myself, as opposed to RTR vehicles that I know I'll just rip out/get rid of 80% anything electrical.

I'm so ready for the RC industry to make kits the "norm"...dream away Rusty, dream away.

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-10-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I'm so ready for the RC industry to make kits the "norm"...dream away Rusty, dream away.
I agree 100%, when I was into r/c's mainly buggies and 1/10 and 1/12 on road carpet cars back in the 90's all the higher grade r/c's came in a kit, it was rare to find a rtr vehicle and when you did it was either crazy expensive or of lower grade. Granted this was before you could go online and search for the lowest cost, your local hobby shop either had to get it for you or you had to order from you Tower Hobbies "wish book".