Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Tmaxx classic transmission swap question >

Tmaxx classic transmission swap question

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tmaxx classic transmission swap question

Old 01-01-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tmaxx classic transmission swap question

I have an older Tmaxx with the standard 2 speed transmission that seems to be broke. I bought it years ago at a garage sale so I don't know the history. My question is... Can I put the newer Trans with reverse in it or should I repair or get a rebuilt 2 speed? It has a brand new 3.3 motor.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can. Is your transmission black or grey? The black and grey transmissions are different, but they will both work.

The black one came as a 2 speed plus reverse in the original T-Maxx, T-Maxx 2.5, and T-Maxx Classic. It also came as a 2 speed without reverse in the S-Maxx, or as a single speed without reverse in the SportMaxx. You can convert any of them to single speed without reverse, 2 speed without reverse, or 2 speed with reverse, and they sell kits to do so. It's very common for people to put the forward only conversion onto the T-Maxx to make it 2 speed without reverse, as was probably done with yours. The black one's with reverse have a clutch mechanism inside the transmission (separate from the clutch on the engine) so that the transmission is basically in neutral until the input shaft speed hits a certain RPM. This was to stop the gear clash when going between forward and reverse. When driving it you can see it jerk into gear as you give it throttle. You can also spin the input shaft on the transmission by hand and the output shafts won't move.

The grey one came as a 2 speed plus reverse in the early T-Maxx 3.3's, and as a 2 speed without reverse in the later T-Maxx 3.3's. These can also be converted to either and kits are available to do so. These have no clutch mechanism in them (they still have a clutch on the engine) and instead use an electronic sensor, called an optidrive sensor, with a control module that stops the reverse servo from shifting unless the truck is stopped.

You can use any of the transmissions in your T-Maxx. The grey transmission is said to be stronger than the black transmission, due to the extra power of the 3.3 engine. I ran a 3.3 in my T-Maxx with the black transmission with no problems though.

Last edited by robwiljas; 01-01-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! That's good info, I appreciate your detailed reply.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem I'm glad I could help.