Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Savage (2wd) vs. Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin/Lunchbox

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Traxxas Savage (2wd) vs. Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin/Lunchbox

Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM
ski_rush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Stampede (2wd) vs. Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin/Lunchbox

I'm debating as to which to get. As many of you, I had a few RC trucks as a kid. Now that I have a kid, I'd like to get him into these trucks. I'm looking get to a budget friendly truck. I've always wanted a clod buster, but I can't warrant spending $300+ for one plus accessories.

I had a Kyosho Big Brute and Tamiya Blackfoot when I was younger. I'm looking to get something fun to use and something that is upgradable (just for fun).

I've watched several youtube video on both the Stampede XL and the Midnight Pumpkin. A few reviewers noted a few weakpoints about the control arms on the Savage since they are made from plastic; they said they break easy. Just wondering other people's opinions on these two trucks and which would be a better choice to get back into the hobby. Which is better quality, more durable?

Thanks,
sr

Last edited by ski_rush; 01-18-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All rc vehicles have weak points. The Stampede arms aren't all that weak but they do break, so do the knuckles and c-hubs. All of which are available in either RPM's almost unbreakable plastic or aluminum. Stay away from aluminum arms, they'll just end up breaking something else. The Pumpkin has flimsy steering tie rods, the rear shock mounts are brittle and so is the entire plastic chassis tub. The reason it survives is because it's slow. The pumpkin body is also a hard plastic you paint on the outside so it gets beat up fast.

For your kid I'd get a Stampede over the Pumpkin. It'll handle better, can actually jump a little vs basically not at all, the body will last longer and whatever you break can be upgraded to RPM or aluminum inexpensively. The pumpkin is insanely cool, but it's almost a novelty, more modern rc's just run way better.