Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
The kids and I are getting our first truck! Help me compare??? >

The kids and I are getting our first truck! Help me compare???

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

The kids and I are getting our first truck! Help me compare???

Old 01-22-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The kids and I are getting our first truck! Help me compare???

OK folks, I am getting into RC trucks (currently a scratch build foamy rc plane addict) and am gearing up to buy my first truck and am just hoping to get some advice. I am heading the the local RC proshop/indoor track to get advice this weekend too.

Here’s the criteria
  1. staying at or under $130.00. (yes I have to go on the cheap, keep reading)
  2. 4x4. Really want to be able to take grass and minor terrain
  3. don’t want toy grade for obvious reasons though I know the price will make it harder
  4. doesn’t need to be a speed demon as my kids will be learning on this. 8 yr old daughter, 5 yr old son. so I don’t need brushless or lipo… yet

Already thinking 1/16-1/18 scale. I have $100.00 Christmas money though seeing the Traxxas Teton at $129.00 at the LHS is a possibility, hence the $130.00 ceiling. Now I was also tempted to add another $100.00 on a credit card to take it to 200.00 for a Stampede but then saw it is only 2WD. I really want 4x4. I also am keeping in mind my 5 yr old son needs to be able to drive it around the small yard and actually learn and control it while doing so. I fully expect breakage and getting replacement parts and yes, when the time comes I will go aluminum once the plastic breaks. But this vehicle won't be one I will be trying to totally upgrade. I will leave it stock (or so I say that now) and just have fun with the kids.

So I already mentioned the Teton, (yes I have watched vids, read dozens of posted complaints and praises).
Then there is the ECX Ruckus. This was my original first pick until I had the Teton put in my hands at the LHS and it’s Traxxas support and plethora of parts/upgrades. For an extra $30.00 I am game. I know ECX is newer though supported by Horizon Hobby is nice.
Now if I do not intend on going nutz cooh cooh crazy bashing the thing and needing upgrades that means the lesser brands might not be a bad idea either such as Dromida and Redcat. Losi, TA, those 2 are possibilities too though I think maybe a bit pricy like Traxxas.
I see the Tacon Valor is just a tad bigger at 1/14 scale and only $110.00 with 4WD.

I dunno… Staying under $150.00 its hard trying to have your cake and eat it too. Eventually dad intends on at least a 1/10 scale 4WD monster truck. $240.00 1/10 4x4 Ruckus vs $320.00 1/10 4x4 Stampede… hmmmmm

edit: just saw a vid of an HPI Savage XS Flux monster truck on 3s do standing back flips and thrashing a skate park and some trails. Holy crap…. holy aerial assault vehicle batman! Yeah… I know what I will be saving my pennies for… anyways...

So Teton, Ruckus, Valor… something different I haven’t seen yet… Dromida MT4.18???
Back yard and grass, curb jumps and the kids learning and crashing. I guess $100.00 to $130.00 the truck that's the toughest and highest quality would win out. If the Teton is better quality and/or tougher, the extra $30.00 is well worth it.

I sure would like to hear from the gurus out there and get a good discussion going. For those who frequent multiple forums you might see this exact same post. I plan on buying soon so I am literally copy & pasting this post in a few different forums at once. I won’t be able to hold out too much longer. The snow piles out front have hardened up nicely and it’s time to do some wheelin’.

Thanks for looking!

Regards,
Jimmy
Old 01-22-2016, 07:45 PM

With batteries charger (s) spare parts you will break something ...it's inevitable.

You will invest $$$$ on a cheaper truck and that's if you can buy parts at your lhs

You might consider used as an option to get a better truck
Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 PM

Thx for your input Grabbem. I did look at used and haven't found what I am looking for yet. I fully expect breakage which is why I lean towards Traxxas or ECX. My LHS carries them both and parts won't be an issue.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm selling my ECX Ruckes. It goes well in the yard and it's tough as heck. Very pleased. Im ready to build my own and need the money for goodies.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Hey Stingray. really? Do tell. Is it 1/18 or 1/10?
I have been real active with research and hit all the lhs's yesterday. I have started to think about the terrain we will be driving in most and due to it being thick grass I may have decided to shuffle available funds and step up to 1/10. I worry about the little 1/18's burning up motors more often. I am almost sold on the 1/10 now. I did a good plastic parts comparo at a shop yesterday between ECX susp & Traxxas. The Traxxas was noticeably sturdier. Add to that every shop I went to including the one I will be buying from has an entire wall of every replaceable Traxxas part and upgrade known to man. They have some ECX but obviously the Traxxas is more heavily supported. Knowing that breakage is a part of the game the parts support and available aftermarket for the Traxxas products seems worth the extra green.
Now I still want 4WD. ECX Ruckus 1/10 4WD is $240.00 vs $300.00 for the Stampede.

Now for the right price though a used ECX may be just the ticket. PM me with price and possible shipping charges if you are serious.

Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; 01-24-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ECX Ruckus is teh 1/10 version. Here is the video that sold me on mine. A huge improvement over the outgoing version. I really enjoy mine, but I'm ready to move up. Great for beginners, tough and loads of fun. Mine is 2WD, not 4WD. Traxxas seems to own the market no doubt. I wanted a Traxxas originally, but the price was to steep. I didn't want to unload a bunch of money just to figure out the hobby wasn't for me. Thankfully it is.

I'll PM you with more details on selling mine.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:30 PM

After owning both the Stampede and Ruckus (2wds) I can honestly say the Stampede is hands down a better r/c in every aspect, better performance, better electronics, handles much better as the Ruckus's steering is awful, better suspension, unlimited parts and upgrades and the list just goes on, in my opinion of course. The XL-5 esc is great for youngsters also because of the ability to limit power. I currently have two xl5 Stampedes but if I had to do it all over again I would have got the VXL models definitely the most bang for your buck. In the last month I've upgraded both to brushless systems along with several other upgrades and now have a ton of $ dumped in each one. On another note I also have a Redcat Racing Blackout XTE pro which I've been blown away by, honestly I was a bit hesitant about purchasing it with all the Redcat haters out there but it has stood up to some serious abuse and bashing and parts and upgrades are readily available online and the customer support has been excellent. Right out of the box you get a quality HobbyWing brushless system and Flysky radio, decent lipo battery and charger plus it's 4wd. The performance is great and its fast! I even run 11.1v lipo's sometimes at the track and it's insanely fast, on the 11.1v its a rocket and nothing can touch it down the strait away. Below is a pic of the Blackout next to my daughters then all stock Stampede for size comparison. Btw the stock Stampede is plenty fast stock, much quicker than the Ruckus and does fine in our grass yard. I would strongly recommend either one over the Ruckus, I've had nothing but problems with both ECX products I've tried.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackout XTE&Stampede.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2143546  

Last edited by CapeTruckMan; 01-25-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:48 PM

sorry, doubled posted the above
Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the informative review. That helps a lot. I pretty much have decided on Traxxas. So either the Stampede or Skully/Craniak. My son loves monster trucks and them with their traditional monster truck style is great. I am now stepping up from my original intentions of staying under $150.00, going 1/18 and definitely going 1/10. I am bummed tho that I need to go another $100.00 to get the Stampede in 4WD. But seriously, for a starter truck the 2WD Pede & the other monsters are plenty truck for what we need. Yes I know there are other 4x4's out there at less cost but I really want to stay with Traxxas. I am willing to pay the extra for the parts and support.... I think...
Old 01-30-2016, 06:50 PM

Decision made, problem solved. I found a debit card with referral rewards on it from my old employer. $160.00 I never knew I had. BOOM!!! The kids and I are now the proud owners of a Traxxas 1/10 4WD STAMPEDE!!!! WOOO HOOO!!! Daaaang I love this thing! So much more control authority than I thought that 4WD would have. Ran it all around tonight in the dark. Couldn't wait. Kids did OK on 50% and they will learn. Crashing is a blast. LOL. Lost the little blue straw antenna cover twice. I see vids of the newer 2.4 systems without any antenna sticking out, do folks just tuck the antenna underneath? That's about the only issue I am having. Now its off to the ball diamond so we can do some sliding in the dirt. And it's time to make some ramps.

So again, whats the best thing to do with the antenna?

Thanks to all for the ideas and advice.

Regards,
Jimmy
Old 01-30-2016, 07:12 PM

Yes tuck as much in the water proof receiver box and leave 4 inches out..cut antenna to length of wire and your done and better protected
Old 01-30-2016, 09:04 PM

Thx Grabbem88. I was able to tuck most of it in the box and then even whats left will tuck safely away no worries. Had a late night bashing session. Wow am I glad I got 4WD. Climbs everything. I so love this thing! Did my first back flip even. LOL. Too bad it wasn't on purpose.