Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Help - Identify my Nitro Truck/Buggy >

Help - Identify my Nitro Truck/Buggy

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Help - Identify my Nitro Truck/Buggy

Old 03-17-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - Identify my Nitro Truck/Buggy

Hello All,

I've recently bought this Nitro Truck/Buggy off a friend and I'm having difficulties identifying it and wondered if you fine people could lend a hand.

From what I gather and a google search by the decals, it "could be" a CEN MG-2" however... when I look on the CEN website I see no related product to a MG-2 only an MG10 and others, I was thinking maybe it was a discontinued model or something but I'm not sure.

Looking at the Tmaxx Traxxas Classic it seems very similar indeed, the layout seems right but there are no text markings on it, also the Engine all it has is 1 stamp with what looks like "LS" in a small circle, at 1st I thought it was 15 but closer look it's definitely LS.

The reason I am looking for help is I need a few parts, a 12mm Pullstart (32mm from screwhole to screwhole) and a few other parts and didn't want to start ordering the wrong parts.

If you guys can help I'd greatly appreciate it. The only other thing I can add is related to the "Engine" the only markings on the whole engine are a small circle on the cylinder block with "15" written on it, could this be a 1.5 ? or... I'm really not sure and hoping you guys can help.

Please see images attached and many thanks in advance.

Regards
Cecil B
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2152972   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2152973   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2152974   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.PNG
Views:	235
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2152975   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2152976  
Old 03-19-2016, 11:54 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you have is a "clone" of the first TMaxx, the one powered by the Pro.15 engine. The Pro.15 powered TMaxx is very different from the TMaxx Classic listed on Traxxas' site. The Classic is what was known as the TMaxx 2.5, it has wider arms than the Pro.15, and a totally different engine.

The only maker of TMaxx "clones" that I know of was Smartech. Maybe CEN made or distributed one as well but I'm not sure. I also have no idea how many Traxxas parts will actually fit a clone. If I had to guess I'd say it's unlikely that a Pro.15 pull start would fit the engine in your clone. If it was me I'd buy a new engine for it instead of buying pull starts hoping they'll fit.

There's a couple different routes you can go with this. The stock engine is a side exhaust rotary carb. The Traxxas Pro.15 engine is also a side exhaust rotary carb and this truck is a clone of that truck so it would probably be the least amount of work to fit a Pro.15 engine. But they're discontinued and used nitro engines are shady, never know what you'll get. So another side exhaust engine like a HPI .18 from a RS4, a Redcat .18 engine (I'd go HPI instead) or an OS (more expensive) could also work. The HPI .18 are nice engines, get one off eBay new and complete with the exhaust, possibly swap your clutch on and go.

The other option is going to the modern TMaxx setup of rear exhaust engine with a slide carb. There's tons of new 2.5's (used in the TMaxx Classic) and 3.3's on eBay with the EZ-Start system, exhaust and clutch system to choose from and all you'll have to do is bolt it in and change the throttle linkage. Since the carb is a slide type the linkage is different but you can buy this on eBay too. You will have to drill a couple holes in the chassis to locate the required throttle post and locating it in the proper position is a little tricky unless you have a 2.5 chassis to measure exactly where it needs to go.

One word of caution about swapping in a different engine. This truck is a clone, but that doesn't mean it's exactly the same. The engine mount may not accept another engine, even a Traxxas one. This also means that the chassis may not have the holes drilled in the right spots for a Traxxas engine mount. I'm fairly confident you could use a Traxxas 2.5 classic main chassis plate on this truck without issue to solve these potential problems though and the chassis plate is cheap especially in parts lots.

Edit: The primer on the fuel tank is probably going to leak and cause you tuning headaches. Ditch the tank for a TMaxx tank and drill new holes in the chassis if you have to and save yourself the tuning headaches. The other option is to pull the primer out of the tank and seal the hole with a screw and some sort of nitro resistant sealant like grey rtv silicone.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 03-19-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:04 PM

Hello Folks and really appreciate your input here.

Well Maj, that's some great information there.. the crazy thing is yesterday I went on the hunt for a pullstart as mentioned above and totally forgot about a great model shop here in the uk with a really helpful owner, I passed by with my truck and engine and straight away he said exactly what you said.

It's a Smartech Magic Wheel - He gave me a fantastic rundown about them and also told me that the worst thing about them was the electrics but luckily for me somebody has already replaced all the servos/controllers and everything so that's a bonus, he also is the kind of modeller with a shop who loves to help people and also likes the idea of repairing things (as thats a big part of the fun and for me aswell) rather than some big boots place who just wants to sell you a new model and tell you to scrap your old one.

To my amazement he had almost everything part wise for the Smartech as I said he likes to help people not scrap things. I purchased a new pullstart from him and also noticed the the clutch was dead so he also had that which I purchased, he also fitted these for me aswell (bugger I was hoping to do that myself lol) but in fairness he was great and amazed he had all these parts.

Today.. I thought right, let's fire it up and see if it starts (as I hadn't even started it since I purchased the other day of a friend and I had never seen it running. It does also have the stock 15 engine.

I fired it up and after a few pulls it was superb, so smooth aswell like new, I also have a HSP Atomic Warhead which I love to bits and recently upgraded lots of parts on it and use it loads with my son.

As for the Smartech... it ran really well, only had it in the back garden but intend on taking it over the park soon with the kids , I noticed as we always do that a few more things are a bit battered which is understandable as it's age and thats the Battery Protection Cover (So ordered one this evening ).

The servo for throttle and brake was also clicking badly when braking as it had gone very weak so... I had a spare from another car so replaced that all working fine.

One thing I did notice was the front wheel rim is cracked... seem's I cannot find a part for this a few website I know have it listed but do not have any in stock so I doubt if they will be getting any, The wheels are 1/8 Off Road 14mm Hex - So I'm scouring for some now but.... the existing wheels and tyres are great so would be cool if I could find a rim rather than buying a new set of 4 which probably won't be as good.

So if anybody knows some great 1/8 Off Road 14mm hex BIG wheels/tyres or even the exact match for it any information would be greatly appreciated.

The moral of this story is... parts are available for all kinds of vehicles and even if its very old it doesnt mean to say you have to scrap it as repair and fix and tinkering is all part of the fun .

I'd like to thank you all for your replies and information and hope that soon as the few bits come I can post a few pictures and videos and share my fun also for such an old vehicle

Thank You All
Old 03-19-2016, 10:10 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Smartech was never as big here in the USA as it was in Europe so I'm not surprised a shop there had the parts on hand. Even trying to find Smartech parts online here in the states is more difficult.

There used to be tons of 14mm wheels to choose from out there, now it's mostly 17mm. Those Smartech wheels and tires are very similar to TMaxx Classic wheels and tires, they may have been changed to them as they're very similar. Either way the TMaxx Classic wheels and tires are very long lasting and great on a variety of surfaces in my opinion, they're also pretty cheap used. The only downside really is they're heavier than most aftermarket wheels and tires, especially after years of collecting dirt inside them. Yeah could also boil or bake the tires off and remount them on new rims. Plenty of how to vids on doing both on YouTube.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:32 AM

Thanks Maj - I'll see what I can find.

Regards
Cecil