Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

ECX Ruckus Steering Block

Old 04-04-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECX Ruckus Steering Block

ok guys, I finally ran the front wheel into the mailbox and busted the steering block. Long term, my plan is to buy parts for this truck that I can one day use on a truck that i build with our CNC machine at work (designs are currently under way). I was originally planning on designing 100% of everything, but having driven my car for months now I see that consumables shouldn't be unique.

So, I need to get a new steering block. I want to get something what will not limit me in any way when I decide to use it on another RC I build. For instance, I know that some wheels have a larger hex nut. Has anyone ever thought about this at all? I don't much care for being restricted between parts. I wish you could buy a steering block that was so generic, it could work on a traxxas, or a ECX, or a Axial etc.

Thought anyone?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. Steering block? Are you talking about the bulkhead?
Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 PM

These are similar to what I was thinking about getting. But, I want something that isn't restricted from using on another vehicle I build down the road. I'm looking for the mother of all mothers steering and caster blocks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	113491.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2156313   Click image for larger version

Name:	113488.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	2156314  
Old 04-08-2016, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, I see. Front hub carriers are their formal names, well at least to me, lol. Those Hot Racing ones you posted would work, and you cannot use it on any other car, sadly.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by collector1231
Ah, I see. Front hub carriers are their formal names, well at least to me, lol. Those Hot Racing ones you posted would work, and you cannot use it on any other car, sadly.
So, the general idea is not to purchase just any "front hub carrier". I want the best of the best. But I don't even know what makes the best of the best. I really like 1/10th scale RC and don't want to go beyond that size range. What do you look for when looking to upgrade a front hub carrier?
Old 04-09-2016, 03:05 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

For "steering blocks" and "castor blocks", some dudes think they need aluminum for durability. For precision feedback from the tire to the servo, they're great. This is of course assuming the manufacturer has tight tolerances on the piece being made. Every manufacturer has different "stiffness" of plastics. Depending on how durable/predictable you want a RC platform to be will determine your needs.

Every RC is car/truck is pretty much a different design between company/manufacturers. Unless we talk re-branded stuff and copycat knockoff clone type of stuff. I don't even want to go there . Brand A might use a longer a-arm to get a vehicle's maximum legal width. Whereas Band B chooses a slightly shorter a-arm, and using a wider caster block coupled together with offset wheels to achieve same width as Brand A's vehicle.

Originally Posted by 67Stingrayj
Has anyone ever thought about this at all? I don't much care for being restricted between parts. I wish you could buy a steering block that was so generic, it could work on a traxxas, or a ECX, or a Axial etc.
Trying to "better" their RC car/truck by swapping out parts from other RC cars...people (including myself) have been doing this or years. Sometimes people get lucky and have components from other vehicles that fit with little to no modification. Other times it takes a bit of "hacking" to make a component work/fit for one's needs. Drilling, cutting, widening, enlarging ...etc.etc.etc. may or may not hurt the strength/durability of "hacked" item. Having a generic piece or pieces would also get rid of bragging rights, and might increase a loss of jobs .

Aluminum/metal arms...IMO just a waste of money for an off-road platform, and will transfer the stress to the front end of the chassis...potentially ending up with more broken parts.

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-10-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:00 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you want universal suspension parts? Genrerally speaking you can't expect to bolt Corvette spindles on a Chevy truck, why would RC be any different?

Anyways. I've always wanted to build my own RC car too. The farthest I've gone is building a couple custom extended chassis for Maxx's and Revo's. In my opinion you're just making things harder on yourself if you make your own differentials, diff cases (too much precision required), knuckles, carriers and such. Stick to the easier stuff like chassis, shock towers, suspension arms, maybe suspension attachment points and such. Make your own suspension arms to accomodate a specific knuckle, carrier, etc. You can even make the arms longer if you want, just extend the cvd. Listen to Rusty and don't go aluminum on the arms though, they do more hard than good.

As for what model to use, that depends on the overall size, 2wd or 4wd and in part the tires you want to run. You need to decide what the vehicle is going to be and the wheels and tires you're going to run. If you're going to build a monster truck with big tires 1/10 4x4 racing buggy suspension components probably aren't the best idea. They'll break easier with the weight of the big tires and wheel figment could be more of an issue if you can't get the right offset. Another example, the Traxxas Slash 4x4 knuckles are out if you want to run 2.2 wheels, but you can get them just about anywhere in anything from stock plastic, RPM plastic or aluminum from Traxxas, STRC and others. Plus there's lots of 17mm adapter for the Slash 4x4 to run 1/8 buggy wheels and tires or something much larger if desired. It all depends on what kind of vehicle you're looking to build.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:08 PM

So guys, the truck is going to be based off the a Yeti. I want it to be 4WD, Interdependent front suspensions and a solid rear axle. I want it around 1/10th or 1/8th scale. I'm starting off with an overall tube chaise. I have it designed up and now all i need to do is find out what drive train I want to use. And because I want 4WD IFS, I need to consider what assembly to use. Any suggestions? Below are a few Pics of the Tube design. I'll start working on the thing once I get all the 3D stuff ironed out.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Side  Shot.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2156847   Click image for larger version

Name:	side with Drive-T.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2156848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2156849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Body.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	2156850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	2156854   Click image for larger version

Name:	tube with Drive-trane.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	2156855   Click image for larger version

Name:	all1.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	2156856  

Last edited by 67Stingrayj; 04-11-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:28 PM

No pics in your post. But the obvious assumption is you're going for something like a short course or trophy truck. Well that's pretty easy just start looking at 4wd short course trucks. Slash 4x4, Losi SCTE, Associated, Tekno, Durango, Kyosho, ECX, etc etc etc. Lots of choices.

Even 1/8 buggies should be considered as the width of the suspension is the same as short course trucks. The only issue with 1/8 buggies is the 8mm stub axles which limit you to 17mm hex hubs. If you want something other than 1/8 buggy wheels for a more scale look there's not many choices in 17mm besides Associated SC8 wheels. But 1/8 buggy suspension is very strong, no upgrades required and if you choose an older buggy you can buy complete rollers for cheap.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:28 AM

I knew someone would comment before I could edit my previous post to include Photos. I was having trouble with the loader last night. So, I was thinking Rock Racer. I really want it to be like a sand buggy, rock racer type deal. I need to find a drive train to use. Something aftermarket for sure. The Tube Chase will be SS tubing I get for free from my work. either that or Aluminum rod. Something that I can easily braze, not weld. I have seen a lot of nice products out there.

But back to the topic of discussion, the front steering. What should I look for? Keep in mind the above posted photos of my 3D model.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:07 AM

Personally I'd go 1/8 buggy for the front suspension. Way tougher than 1/10, no aftermarket needed, the shocks and available springs can take more weight, the diffs can take way more power and the ratio is probably a little better suited. Most 1/10 4x4 diffs are around 2.9-3.0:1 ratio while 1/8 buggies are 3.31:1 ratio. The 1/8 ratio will be better as the tires are probably going to be larger than typical 1/10 short course or 1/10 buggy and you won't have to go as big with the spur gear freeing up a little room. 1/8 buggies also have the same basic layout with everything attached to a nice flat chassis plate making adaptation to a custom chassis easy compared to some of the 1/10 platforms out there. Just find a used 1/8 buggy that stock parts are available for just in case and use that. Btw eBay is usually a pretty good place to see various vehicles with the body removed and you can get an idea of prices for donors as well.

Now you you can build around the choice of front suspension but I really recommend trying to find a wheel and tire combo and work around that instead. The wheels and tires will help determine the scale and proportions and they may eliminate using 1/8 buggy front suspension if they're only available in 12mm hex. If 1/8 buggy suspension is out then you're probably looking at making your own suspension arms and going with aftermarket knuckles, carriers etc. gotta eliminate some variables here and I think deciding on a wheel and tire combo first is the best way to do that.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 04-11-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
Now you you can build around the choice of front suspension but I really recommend trying to find a wheel and tire combo and work around that instead. The wheels and tires will help determine the scale and proportions and they may eliminate using 1/8 buggy front suspension if they're only available in 12mm hex. If 1/8 buggy suspension is out then you're probably looking at making your own suspension arms and going with aftermarket knuckles, carriers etc. gotta eliminate some variables here and I think deciding on a wheel and tire combo first is the best way to do that.
Thats exactly the kind of suggestions I'm looking for! Thanks! Ill let you know what I decide after a few readings...