Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

New into Hobby RC, should I buy X-maxx

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New into Hobby RC, should I buy X-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:19 AM
arnieswap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New into Hobby RC, should I buy X-maxx

I always loved rc cars. But got into it heavily with Traxxas Slash 4x4 1/16. Then wife got a Red Cat volcano for me. As much as I love the small Slash, it's not a monster truck. Red Cat is good, but I would rather invest in something that I can upgrade, maintain over time. So I got interested in X-Maxx. I live in urban area. No tracks. Just nice neighborhood with good roads, parking lot and a community play ground. But X-Maxx is expensive. I would like something that can be fast. Can run on grass. Can do a bit of bashing. I am not into racing at all. So is X-Maxx a good buy (considering it will go over $1000 with LiPo batteries)?

Alternatively I can build my own truck by selecting best parts???

One more thing. I am into IT and the whole idea of truck is more about mechanics and electronics that actually driving them ;-) I am more or less an enthusiast.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by arnieswap; 06-16-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:05 AM
Maxximize

If I were starting out with monster trucks these days, I'd start with something smaller and less expensive personally. I'd definitely say stick with Traxxas simply for the parts supply. Take a look at the Stampede 4x4, it is an excellent truck for driving around through grass and on road in smaller areas, but still very up gradable and plenty fast. I recently had the chance to drive my cousin's Stampede 4x4 VXL on 3S LiPO, and it was a total blast! I prefer my Axial Yeti 1/10 overall, but it isn't as fast as the VXL Stampede is, even after I geared it up by 4 teeth from stock on the pinion, and the Stampede handles much better as well. The Yeti is better in nasty off road terrain though and makes more torque.

I also have a 1/16 Traxxas truck, but it is an E Revo. That's a fun little MT, though it can't handle tall and thick grass well at all. Mine is brushed, but I run mod motors in it so it's quite a bit faster than stock. If yours is brushed, check out Team brood's website. They sell a bunch of old school stock and mod racing motors. I run a 19T Chameleon 2 Spec motor converted to run stand up brushes in mine and have geared it up a bit. Team Brood sells the Chameleon 2 for $20, the Cobalt 27 stock and Green Machine 3 stock motors also run very well in a 1/16 Revo. The stock ESC will handle down to a 15T 540 motor, and I have ran a 15T double wound in mine, though I prefer the 19T and 27T motors for the torque they make. I also run it with dual batteries using a parallel adapter for some added punch and run time. The 1/16 Slash can be converted to a 1/16 Revo pretty easily. All you need are the 1/16 Revo A arms, toe links, shock push rods, drive shafts, and wheels. You'd probably need a Revo body too as the stock Slash one would need to be heavily trimmed to clear the longer A arms and you'll probably need to re gear it. I run 23, 25 and 28 tooth pinions with a 50 tooth spur (23/50 is stock for the brushed 1/16 Revo) depending on terrain and what motor I have in it. Lower turn motors like lower gearing in most cases. The Chameleon 2 has a lot of torque and can be geared up quite a bit from stock while still pulling wheelies. The 1/16 Revo can handle some surprisingly tough off roading, but like I said, tall grass is it's kryptonite. At least with stock wheels and tires it is.

Last edited by Maxximize; 07-06-2016 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:04 AM
arnieswap

Thanks a lot. I ended up buying X-maxx and I LOVE the truck. It's HUGE. And super heavy at 20 pounds. But the raw power and it's ability to go anywhere is pure awesome. It's expensive, but that's one time investment as with Traxxas you can keep upgrading :-)
Old 07-07-2016, 12:56 AM
Maxximize

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it. That thing can take some insane jumps, I've seen vids of it jumping houses and garages lol. Yup, best part about Traxxas is the huge aftermarket support and their parts support. I can still get parts for my 1999 original T Maxx new from the factory, can't beat that! Now if only HPI could manage that I'd be set.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:54 AM
The Saylors

I wouldn't have advised that giant of a truck for a starter but i admire your go big or go home attitude for sure! I'm glad that you are liking it! Be warned that you need to be careful with that much weight and speed put into one package. As you can imagine a runaway with that thing could bust up an ankle pretty bad lol you should see the xo-1 vids of guys getting hit, its pretty funny but it usually injures them pretty bad so wouldn't let a kid play with it. I hear that truck can take big jumps like a champ! Find an empty skate park and empty that wallet on repairs, it will be more than worth it i promise.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:02 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear you are enjoying it. I'm considering buying one myself, even though I generally stick to 1/5 scale gasoline powered cars. The X-Maxx has been out for a while now and I haven't heard of any serious flaws in it.