Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tmaxx transmission problems

Old 06-17-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tmaxx transmission problems

Hey RCuniverse looking for a little help with 2.5 Tmaxx, was running it one day and it seems the tranny went out. I checked the slipper but that was fine, the spur gear turns with the motor but the truck doesn't budge. I got another tranny from a friend but turns out it only goes in reverse. I'm new to repairing my own trucks but been pretty successful thus far just can't figure these out. I watched all the videos I could find on how to rebuild them and followed them precisely, still no luck. Figured it could be the gears so I swapped out the two speed gears for a single gear setup in the original transmission but same problem, spur gear spins during idle and with throttle but truck doesn't move still. Any and all suggestions and advice on both trannys is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any help
Old 06-18-2016, 04:14 AM

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

I repaired two t-maxx trucks for a friend of mine awhile back. One being a 2.5 truck and the other 3.3. The 2.5 truck had reverse and wouldn't shift into reverse very often. When it did, it wouldn't shift out of reverse. Pulling the tranny apart and blasting the one-way clutches with some brake cleaner and compressed air was what fixed it. The tranny has 2 or 3 one-way clutches in it and if one slips, the truck won't move. It may be worth lightly sanding the shafts the one-way clutches ride on - scuff the long way with some 400-1000 grit sand paper. Upon reassembly, do not oil the one-way clutches, but do grease the gears lightly. This worked well on my buddy's truck. It shifted into second gear reliably and shifted in and out of reverse exactly like it was supposed to. The 2-speed works in reverse too, but steering is tricky in reverse. Hope this helps some.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on, clean it out well and it should work. I converted mine to forward only years ago, though it now runs a gray trans anyways because it's a big block build. It was worth losing reverse for me at the time and made it faster off the line as well. You could try converting one and seeing how that works. Traxxas sells the conversion kit for it and it's very easy to do, part number is Tra4994X.