Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Back after 10 years

Old 09-15-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back after 10 years

Hi all. So 10 years ago i was into the hobby but time and money made me stop. Now i decided that its time to get back in. So i took out my Duratrax Warhead, cleaned it and started immediatley. Then i went around the forums trying to find all the info i can on the Warhead and i learned quite a lot. My question to you guys is... since my trruck is discontinued and i cannot fnd any parts or upgrades that are specific for the warhead... how do i know that an upgrade that i am interested in buying will fit or not my warhead? The first upgrade i want to do is a metal spur and a hardened clutch bell. Will any fit or do i have to check some things before? Also if you have any suggestions regarding upgrades i can do, please feel free to tell

Thanks in advance
Old 09-18-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest, scrap the Warhead and get something current. HPI and Traxxas (to name just two) have excellent vehicles to choose from. I wouldn't invest too much into an old Warhead.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:35 PM

Join the club ,my poor ofna Titan has been sidelined for 4 years whilest I scour the plagued net for a cva ,well at least I have a st-rr to keep me busy
Old 09-18-2016, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by zenmalta
Hi all. So 10 years ago i was into the hobby but time and money made me stop. Now i decided that its time to get back in. So i took out my Duratrax Warhead, cleaned it and started immediatley. Then i went around the forums trying to find all the info i can on the Warhead and i learned quite a lot. My question to you guys is... since my trruck is discontinued and i cannot fnd any parts or upgrades that are specific for the warhead... how do i know that an upgrade that i am interested in buying will fit or not my warhead? The first upgrade i want to do is a metal spur and a hardened clutch bell. Will any fit or do i have to check some things before? Also if you have any suggestions regarding upgrades i can do, please feel free to tell
Well upgrades were virtually nonexistent when the truck was new so any upgrades came from other vehicles. Since you've recently done research on the truck you should know better than most. Sorry, half joking and stating the obvious. Did you come across any real problem areas or do you just want to throw money at the thing? Because let me state that there are no magic upgrades to increase performance. There are parts made for some vehicles that increase durability but 99.999% of the time they just stock parts in a different material and won't change performance in any way.

The only thing I remember reading about the Warhead is the fuel tank likes to leak. With it unavailable and the fact the Warhead looks like a Savage most seem to try and squeeze a Savage tank in there.

As far as your spur gear and clutchbell question Inhave no idea what would fit. Most clutchbells made for 1/8 vehicles with big blocks are similar but there are exceptions. All I can say is measure yours, look for measurements online or just try comparing to others at the hobby shop. But you also need to find out the pitch of the gears, 1/8 is mod1!

As for the spur this is a little easier. Look in the manual and see what size the bearing/bushing is on the spur. Then start looking at spurs with the same or similar tooth count and find out what bearing they take. Even if they're not the same you can get a different size bearing. Only thing is the slipper may not match up but you could just crank down the adjusting nut h so the slipper is locked.

Is your spur gear or clutchbell bad or that worn? Because I feel steel spurs are a waste. Plastic spurs usually only fail due to improper gear mesh. Plus even with a hardened clutchbell the spur gear is going to chew it up over time where a plastic won't harm it at all.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Darkearth74
Join the club ,my poor ofna Titan has been sidelined for 4 years whilest I scour the plagued net for a cva ,well at least I have a st-rr to keep me busy
That's the pain of obscurity! I would just make it a shelf queen and get something newer. Thats what i did with my early 90's Losi lst. Its sucks but these toys are kinda sorta like computers. Obsolete in less than a year, unserviceable after 10-15 if your lucky. Again i know it sucks but its just the way things are these days.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. So I decided that for now I'm just going to bash it as much as I can. Then I'll invest In a new beast
Regarding the spur I just installed a plastic one that I had bought 10 years ago and seems to be fine for now. As for the metal one... I read somewhere that duratrax admitted that It was a problem and was sending metal spurs for free. But that's 10 years ago. We'll see how this one goes. Thanks for the tank suggestion, it's in my shopping list thanks again
Old 09-19-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Saylors
That's the pain of obscurity! I would just make it a shelf queen and get something newer. Thats what i did with my early 90's Losi lst. Its sucks but these toys are kinda sorta like computers. Obsolete in less than a year, unserviceable after 10-15 if your lucky. Again i know it sucks but its just the way things are these days.
The Losi LST is far from obscure, break that bad boy back out! All the suspension pieces are out there in the form of the Aftershock and there's plenty of used stuff out there from people upgrading to the LST2 spec parts used on current LST XXL2 and XXL2e. Diff parts are available and even better with the current HD diff cups. The only thing that I can think of that wouldn't be available is LST1 transmission gears, but those gears are tough and you can always just ditch the hi/low if it gives you a problem and keep the reverse or ditch it too. Love the LST platform and it's like the Maxx where new better stuff fits the old trucks so it doesn't matter if a part was discontinued.

Originally Posted by zenmalta
Thanks for the replies. So I decided that for now I'm just going to bash it as much as I can. Then I'll invest In a new beast
Regarding the spur I just installed a plastic one that I had bought 10 years ago and seems to be fine for now. As for the metal one... I read somewhere that duratrax admitted that It was a problem and was sending metal spurs for free. But that's 10 years ago. We'll see how this one goes. Thanks for the tank suggestion, it's in my shopping list thanks again
There are junk plastic spir gears out there, maybe this is one of them. With good mesh the good plastic spur gears last. There is info out there about replacing the Warhead tank with Savage and other tanks. Please look into it before ordering, I was just making a generalization when I mentioned the Savage tank, I don't remember how easy or how much of a pain it was to do.

Last edited by Mechanicaloverlord; 09-19-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:37 PM

I had seen the tank fix on google while searching so I'll check that one ourt again. As for spares... I just found some on ebay even the plastic spur. So if it breaks I'm covered .
Old 09-20-2016, 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=Mechanicaloverlord;12259412]The Losi LST is far from obscure, break that bad boy back out! All the suspension pieces are out there in the form of the Aftershock and there's plenty of used stuff out there from people upgrading to the LST2 spec parts used on current LST XXL2 and XXL2e. Diff parts are available and even better with the current HD diff cups. The only thing that I can think of that wouldn't be available is LST1 transmission gears, but those gears are tough and you can always just ditch the hi/low if it gives you a problem and keep the reverse or ditch it too. Love the LST platform and it's like the Maxx where new better stuff fits the old trucks so it doesn't matter if a part was discontinued.

the tranny gears are the main reason i dont wanna take it out as i actually have alot of replacement parts that came with it but no tranny of course. At first i wanted to do a full modern overhaul (maybe even a micro brushless system) but after looking closely at the tranny box and diffs i was worried i would just be twisting the truck into a pretzel lol. It was my first rc as a kid so its very sentimental. Its cool to see the old tekin systems (thats whats on there now). Its good to know i can get shocks from the aftershock, the ones i have now function but they have been sitting for almost 20 years.

Last edited by The Saylors; 09-20-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Saylors
the tranny gears are the main reason i dont wanna take it out as i actually have alot of replacement parts that came with it but no tranny of course. At first i wanted to do a full modern overhaul (maybe even a micro brushless system) but after looking closely at the tranny box and diffs i was worried i would just be twisting the truck into a pretzel lol. It was my first rc as a kid so its very sentimental. Its cool to see the old tekin systems (thats whats on there now). Its good to know i can get shocks from the aftershock, the ones i have now function but they have been sitting for almost 20 years.
What a second, did you say micro brushless system and it has a Tekin system on it now? If so that means you have a Mini LST (mLST) unless you converted a 1/8 LST. You only said LST not mLST, so I assumed 1/8 LST1. Anyway, if you do indeed have a mLST then you can ignore everything I said about parts compatibility. My brother inlaw had a couple mLST trucks with brushless systems and he did have drivetrain issues every so often, not constant but there were some issues, think it was the center diff/transmission. No idea on parts availability for the mLST or mLST2 but they were discontinued quite awhile ago so I wouldn't be surprised if stuff is hard to find.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Oops that was a fat finger. i have an Losi LXT from 1992. I was scratching my head going there is NO WAY that little truck is a 1/8th scale lol its at best 1/10th but more like 1/12th. I was gunna use a larger micro system since i knew a full size would instantly destroy the truck and just gear it slow but even then i didn't really wanna risk it.