Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

My XTM monster MT project

Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My XTM monster MT project

Bit of a build thread for my XTM monster MT.

I bought it second hand off a guy who saw me tinkering with my other two nitro trucks and asked if I would take a look at it and maybe get it running again for him, turned out he thought it was going to be a 20 fix, no such luck!

It is big! Unless you run 1/8 stadiums or 1/5 racers, this is quite some beast. Basics first with it, air filter fell apart when I touched it, he had lost the charger for both the car battery and the drill starter, easily sourced the car battery charger, but I pulled the drill start off the motor as it was binding and found it was completely worn out, bearings gone and to the point of wearing drive worm into the casing, so decided to junk that in favor of an eazy start system as it is only 25 more than replacing the drive casing for the drill start and the eazy start will be push button start and glow plug affair. I have been having a little bit of grief sourcing a new front CV shaft for it as these were discontinued a few years ago and finding good old stock is easier said than done! I guess I will have to use this as an excuse to buy mini milling machine and a lathe to make my own :-)

I have had the .28 motor running briefly, so that will be OK for now.

I have two other cheap Chinese Nitro trucks from HSP this will supersede them as they die/require more than a glow plug, then sold on eBay spares or repairs so I can dedicate all my time and resources to the XTM.

Once I work out how to load pictures you can see it in the flesh.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:54 PM

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170322_202219.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	2206571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170322_201705.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	2206574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170322_202455.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2206575  
Old 04-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Well updates will be slow and this could take a while!

I wanted to have the push button easy start system on this truck and have had to have an engine back plate machined down to fit and that will be that taken care of.

The truck has been rather more stripped down in an effort to sort out the front CVD shafts as the XTM Monster MT has now been obsolete for a number of years and trying to find shafts has been a ball ache, the closest i could find were 5mm too short and barely sat in the diff cups so they're not going to work!

If anyone reading this knows of a supplier for CVDs to fit a 1/8th scale monster truck that are 173mm long give me a holler.

Short of that I am going to invest in a lathe and milling machine to turn up some myself.