Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Yet Another Obsessed Newb Here

Old 07-13-2017, 10:12 PM
MongoPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Obsessed Newb Here

Greetings from sunny Mongolia RC lovers! I have spent the last week reading and as the saying goes, "The more I know, the less I understand."

So, I had a Tamiya Falcon and a Midnight Pumpkin back in the 80s. I loved building them, bashing them and fixing them, never raced. Now, I find myself bitten by the RC bug again, and I have the perfect excuse: a 7y/o son!

So, I first thought, I'll just get us a Hornet or Grasshopper re-release kit, we'll build it together, and we'll be happy. Then I started reading. There seem to be so many great more modern options, which lead to so many newbie questions, which brings me to why I'm here.

Obviously, I want the best vehicle for the money, just like every other guy. The big difference, I think, is that I live in Mongolia. Firstly, the two local hobby shops I have found seem to be terribly overpriced and carry a very limited number of brands (HSP, Axial, Losi); there is also a language barrier, as the staff have limited English and I have very little Mongolian language. It seems I will be better off finding a reputable online vendor.

So, living here also means that the voltage is 240v and the winters are harsh (-25F) and long (Nov-Mar). I'll need to consider that when thinking of chargers, as well as the durability of the vehicles, and being able to run them all year long.

I am looking for something my son and I can both enjoy, and that would be repairable (not a toy), durable, and fun for off-road (grass, dirt, sand, rocks). I am only interested in electric at this point and am leaning towards a monster truck because we like the looks and because I think it would be best for our terrain. I'll definitely buy whatever I need to ensure that the charge time to run time ratio will not spoil the fun.

So, brass tacks (finally): I have a nostalgic love for Tamiya kits, but feel that the performance for the price makes more modern brands preferable. I think 1/10 scale is what we want. A RTR deal would be fine, as long as we can experience repairing, maintaining and upgrading it together. Much of what I have read and seen online has lead me to believe that 4WD is so much better for our purposes than 2WD. Naturally, I have been lead to believe that a Traxxas Slash or Stampede is our best bet, but there are quite a few threads that make a good case for less expensive options, like Redcat Racing, Exceed and ECX, as well as others.

To add to my confusion and indecision, I see some nice Hosim and GP Toys models that I could get two of for the price of one vehicle from the brands above. It would be nice to race together, if any of the vehicles at that price point would hold up.

I would prefer to spend less than $300 for everything I need, and would be very happy to spend significantly less if some of you knowledgeable RC folks think the equipment will serve well.

If you took the time to read this long post, thank you. If you have some experience and expert advice to guide my purchase, I would be very grateful indeed.

-Cheers
Old 07-14-2017, 03:25 AM
RustyUs

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MongoPete View Post
So, brass tacks (finally): I have a nostalgic love for Tamiya kits, but feel that the performance for the price makes more modern brands preferable. I think 1/10 scale is what we want. A RTR deal would be fine, as long as we can experience repairing, maintaining and upgrading it together. Much of what I have read and seen online has lead me to believe that 4WD is so much better for our purposes than 2WD. Naturally, I have been lead to believe that a Traxxas Slash or Stampede is our best bet, but there are quite a few threads that make a good case for less expensive options, like Redcat Racing, Exceed and ECX, as well as others.

Since you are posting in the monster truck forum, I assume that is what would be preferred. The Stampede should be one of the platforms to give a hard look at. So much can be done with upgrades to that chassis.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:19 AM
MongoPete

Thanks RustyUS. Yes, the Stampede is the current favorite for sure. I see that the 2WD is $200 and the 4WD is $300. Is it worth the extra dough?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:20 AM
MongoPete

LHS has 2 interesting, and very different choices...both RTR

Kyosho Inferno me9 for around $600

Tamiya Mad Bull XB for around $250

There were some others, but those were the two I liked...I'm pretty much ready to just go ahead and order either a 2WD Slash or 2WD Stampede online....nearly ready to pull the trigger...