Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Need help replacing the motor in my Blackout XTE

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need help replacing the motor in my Blackout XTE

Old 06-18-2020, 05:09 PM
baron164

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help replacing the motor in my Blackout XTE

I purchased and received a new Blackout XTE last week. Today I go to take it out with my son and it ran for a couple minutes before coming to a complete stop. Steering still works and the ESC shows that its registering partial and full throttle but the motor won't budge. I pulled and re-connected the motor connections and still nothing. So I'm assuming the motor is just blown. I was planning on taking it with us on vacation next week so I'm trying to find a quick motor replacement. I've put in a warranty claim with RedCat already but I'm looking to see if I can find a quicker replacement. The car came with the BS701-007 550 Brushed motor but it appears to be out of stock everywhere. So I'm hoping someone can recommend a direct replacement that I could order. I've been looking at a Traxxas 3785 Titan 12 Turn 550 Motor but I'm not sure if the shaft dimensions are the same. I wouldn't mind throwing in a brushless motor either but I'd rather not spend $100 on the BS701-007R.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:20 PM
seedygreenute

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Titan should go straight in .
Old 06-18-2020, 06:30 PM
baron164

Thanks, just my luck though, while I was pulling the old motor out of the car the Titan sold out on Amazon so now I'm looking at buying one via E-bay or somewhere else.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:59 PM
seedygreenute

Any 550 with a 3mm 1/8 shaft will fit .
16T was stock , so 12T - 16T range would be good .
There will probably be cheaper options than Traxxas .
I dont use brushed motors anymore .
Old 06-19-2020, 05:38 AM
baron164

Thanks, I was looking at the Brushless motor Redcat recommends and it did show a 3mm shaft so I figured the Traxxas would fit but I'm still new to this hobby and wasn't 100% confident it would. I have started looking at Brushless motors but my understanding is that will require a new ESC and I just bought a new set of LIPO batteries and a charger for the existing ESC so don't want to change that out just yet. I did see a few cheaper motors, around $15, but I figured $25 for a Traxxas would be a safe bet. I didn't want to buy the cheapest motor available and have it be DOA or die after 30 minutes of run time.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:54 PM
seedygreenute

Yes , it will be a different ESC for brushless .
I know the budget thing too . I have kids .
Nice to see you got lipos !
Old 06-20-2020, 05:21 AM
baron164

Yeah, the car came with a 3000mAh NiMH battery that only gave about 10 minutes not run time. And the charger it came with takes 5 hours to charge it. So I needed a better charger and additional batteries. And figured I might as well just buy Lipos since the ESC supports them. And from a cost and weight perspective they are better than NiMH.