Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Replacing Lame Glow Plug Wire/Trx. 2.5??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Replacing Lame Glow Plug Wire/Trx. 2.5??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Lame Glow Plug Wire/Trx. 2.5??

One persistantly annoying thing re. the T-Maxx 2.5 is the glow plug wire.

You (I) need to remove the plug a fair amount (when using after-run oil, clearing a flood, tuning & checking the plug), but you need needle nose pliers & the coiled connector is SO tight that you strip the insulation when you pull it out OR when you try to shove it back on the plug.

Are their better options?

I've seen this one by Dynamite:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44028

BTW, it's the metal sleeve that connects to the plug, right??

This one is even more intriguing, as it is designed to connet the plug AND serve as a "head lock" (??). Is this thing a good idea? Can you still use the plastic head protector, and does this HELP with the cooling, or hinder it?

http://www.2coolrc.com/headlock.html

Ant opinions on these two options? Any other/better options?

Thanks!

Dean
Old 10-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Pkvillager

Default RE: Replacing Lame Glow Plug Wire/Trx. 2.5??

You dont need the shrink tubing on the wire anyways who cares if it rips off? I was using a plug for a while that wouldnt fit so I just put an aligator clip on it and that worked fine.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:20 AM
bigjdubb

Just use an ignitor . The headlock from slimline is really sweet though. It doesnt help or hinder cooling since it doesnt make contact with the head. That is good though, it would get pretty damn hot if it sat flush on top of the head. It stays on very well especialy compared to a worn out wire from Traxxas. If you wanna keep the use of the ez-start ignitor then the headlock is the best solution.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:30 PM
studysession

I just use a glow plug ignitor. It starts faster than having the cable connected.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:14 PM
j-maxx

i agree with bigj. and study. the igniter works a lot better cause eventually the plastic protecter on the stock head one will break thers fore if u flip and u land like on the head it tare ur blue wirs insulationand expose the wir and maybe even tare that up to because its got no protection
Old 10-02-2003, 08:38 PM
bigjdubb

Crack...it's what's for dinner
Old 10-03-2003, 04:02 PM
j-maxx

so dean just get the ingniter
Old 10-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

I dunno 'bout the igniter solution. I REALLY like the "one-button" aspect of the EZ start, and I'm not concerned about ripping up the wire-they're pretty cheap. Why buy another powered device & have to worry about having it on you when you're running (the EZ Start is big & clunky enough!)?

My biggie is disconnecting & connecting the wire when you need to loosen or remove the plug. The connector on the end of the wire is SOO tight that I never seem to get it more than halfway down on the glow plug (maybe that's fine?!?). And pulling it off is equally difficult.

What I like, and think I'll get, are the connector that have a metal "sleeve" that slides over the plug (just like an ignitor has!). Even if it's tight, pliers won't destroy it.

And since I might go to a new head, I probably will get the plain wire rather than the one that has cooling fins, as I don't think that will work with aftermarket heads.

Dean
Old 10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
studysession

I find the TMaxx starts easier when using glow plug ignitor... Back in the states, at the track i saw a lot of people taking off the wire and using the ignitor for the same reason.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Pkvillager

I used both the EZstart and an ignitor. There was NO diference in starting. Why carry around an ignitor, isnt the ezstart heavy enough?

There are a bunch of things I didnt like about my maxx but the EZstart was awesome and worked flawlessly.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:51 PM
flatlander_14

i use a dynamite metered rechargable glow igniter to heat the plug and the ez start2 thing to spin the engine. it works quite well. i can go 3 days without recharging anything before they noticably get weaker and have trouble starting. the ez start loses power really fast when using the blue wire.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:31 AM
j-maxx

dean i liked it to till i fliped and ruined my blue wire i had to wait bout 2 weeks till i got another one and when that broke i just got the igniter trust me, when I say its worth it . its not bulky at all u can put it in ur pocket and u dont have to charge ur 7.2 volt batt foir the ezstart as much .
Old 10-04-2003, 10:07 AM
nodolarsnosense
Banned

i dont own one of these systems but if you always pull out the wire why not thread it between two of the heat sink fins instead of straight out the top where youd plug an ignighter, then take it downwards, hence it would not stick out the top or hang loose at all.