Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

j-b weld?

Old 10-01-2003, 05:25 PM
lynx the great
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default j-b weld?

i was wondring if their is a j-b weld or somthng els that will work on really hot places_______i need it to put a nipple on my exaust.. mip pipe so its metel???

thx
pat
Old 10-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Mr. RCGuy

Default RE: j-b weld?

Lynx I've used JB on forklift raditors and many other applications never has failed, I use the quick setting JB. But you might get away with just drilling and tap the hole. Just go with the gut feeling. have fun
Old 10-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Jarc-RCU

JB weld just aint for cold metal anymore mom.

The Pipe wont get as hot as you think.

I've had guys bring cars into the shop for repairs with JB weld on the manifold... NO LIES! IT WORKS.... But for how long is the question. Most repairs like this are a temp fix. Just to get ya by untill you see a LHS or however you get parts.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:02 PM
XDestroymotorsX

you can tig, mig, and solder. for that small of an application i would go with soldering it.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:06 PM
lynx the great

wont solder melt at 200 degrees
Old 10-01-2003, 06:22 PM
XDestroymotorsX

180-200 celeius not F. there is a good company that i use for small application called http://www.durafix.com/ there soldering rods will hold all and work on all.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:16 PM
psykosavage

Dang it, now you let out the secret ... Durafix is a great product ... I have been using it to repair automotive parts like intake manifolds and such. The bes part is all you need is a propane torch to do it, just make sure there isnt that much wind blowing.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Justintoxicated

I would not use JB quick on aything that gets hot, use the weld not the quick stuff, My luck with it is so-so sometimes ti works sometimes it does not.

I patched a hole in my header tank and after the next bash the JB weld had fallen off..I even sanded the tank so it would stick...SOmetimes though it works wonders
Old 10-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Mr. RCGuy

Default XDestroymotorsX or psykosavage

Do you two have any futher info on durafix? I'm planning on purchasing this product, so I called the 800 # and the Rep had no idea how this stuff worked and instantly asked me for a CC# for the purchase. Anyways this is my project: I'm making a triple roll bar for the MAXX and am wondering if Durafix will work to tack the individual bars together? thanks
Old 10-22-2003, 07:33 AM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: XDestroymotorsX or psykosavage

hey guys... i know from a fact, becasue i Solder every day... solder melts at 600-800 degrees F. Now if your motor gets that hot i think you have other problems.... what you want to use is an acid core flux type solder because it will stick to anything.. also you might want to use "Silver Solder" since it is one of the strongest things out there!! and is CHEAP!!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Plum Crazy
My Feedback: (5)

I have jb weld on three pipe nipples and it's holding very well after at least a year. Kevin at Ace Hardware Hobbies told me to use it and he seems to have alot of experiance. I cleaned each pipe inside and out with brake clean and then roughed up around the area and it seems to self level or smooth out so it looks decent.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:08 AM
TheMachine

JB weld would work just fine, I`ve used simular to repair exhaust systems on MX bikes and R/C`s.

As for your roll cage... What kind of rod ?.. if its steel a MIG weld would be best...but silver solder would also work very well, I`ve found you need to get the metal cherry red for proper bond...don`t be afraid of too much heat !

TM
Old 10-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Deandome

Do pipes even get all that hot?

My stock composite pipe on my Maxx barely gets warm, and though I'd imagine a metal pipe would certainly get warmer, I doubt it would ever reach 175 deg. or so (F).

I guess a lot would depend on WHERE on the pipe you're talking about, the skinnny part nearest the engine (hotter) or at the end, near the main exhaust is.

Dean
Old 11-17-2003, 04:01 AM
parabellum

is durafix only thing that will braze (that seems to be the correct term, not welding or soldering) aluminum?

I guess tig or mig welding would be the best (I have no idea what tig or mig means),
but in order to do that you need expensive equipment.

how is brazing different from soldering anyway?
Old 12-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Goku
My Feedback: (3)

Has anyone else ever used some great stuff called Belzona?
Sort of like a JB weld, but for a wider range of applications...
nice... very very nice...
Old 12-19-2003, 08:10 AM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

well i use this stuff called "Cold Weld" it is an Epoxy based material, with when set, is supposed to be as tuff as steel. so the package says.... so i tested it... i took a sheet of glass... and put a puddle of this stuff on there... waited for it to harden... once it did... it wouldn't snap.... also i was able to drill holes in it.. and tap the holes... and they would actually hold the threads... impressed me... plus it is cheap, and will go a VERY long way!!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:28 AM
vtl1180ny

I used JB weld on a water neck on my F-150 back in 92, it's still holding...
Old 12-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Kuma

When I had my OFNA Ultra MBX, the nipple on the tuned pipe was coming loose so I put JB weld on it and it holds, the pipe doesn't get that hot to melt it so it should be fine.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:04 AM
Rex2342

My friend tryed JB weld on the nipple on his pipe and it only works for a little while.He also tried it to patch a hole in his tank and again it only held for a little while.I don't think it likes the Nitro personally.It was holding great on the tank for a while but then one day it just fell off into little peices same with the pipe.I had the same experience with my MIP pipe for my RS4 3 SS.Maybe the nitro weakens the stuff or something but it will only hold for a short time before it disintegrates.