Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

being a young hobbiest sucks!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

being a young hobbiest sucks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 09:53 PM
R/C car guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default being a young hobbiest sucks!!!!

i am only 14 years old and i am getting into the r/c car hobby. the only problem is my mom. she won't let me buy a r/c car until my progress report comes out from my school. she says i have to have good grades to be allowed to get the car. i hate it!! i'm going crazy waiting to buy my savage!!!

at first she wasn't even going to let me buy the savage because it was too much money(keep in mind that i would be buying it with MY money). but after almost a week of bugging her i was able to convince her to let me buy it. but then she decided to take advantage of me wanting something and said i have to do good in school to buy it.

you older guys are lucky. you can buy anything you want and you have jobs so you have basically as much money as you would want to spend. it took me forever to save my money and finally i have enough money to buy what i want and my mom won't let me buy it.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:59 PM
crzy-svg-usr

Default RE: being a young hobbiest sucks!!!!

i hera ya im 14 also and when my progress report comes oout by bye savage and supernitro wich bot i bought wiht ym own money but yeah they take em away if i get one c which i have i think and it isnt veen the ned of the marking period
Old 10-04-2003, 10:04 PM
frambo

Hey R/C car guy! Being young sucks. Not just being a young hobbiest.

Try not to let it get you down. Remember that us "older" guys can only buy what we want because we did well in school and landed good paying jobs! Before you know it, you will be "older" like me (31) and you will be telling some other "young" guy the same thing.

Good for you on saving your own money to get what you want. I am sure your mom will let you get what you want....you earned it! I always had good luck being REALLY nice to my parents. It seemed to work better than getting ticked off.

For what it's worth...... Welcome to the world of RC!!!
Old 10-04-2003, 10:06 PM
R/C car guy

luckily my father understands that its my money and i should be able to do with it what i want but my mom sees it as just a radio controlled car and doesn't get that it is more than a radio controlled car, but a hobby too.

so i at least have my father on my side and only have to argue about getting the car with my mom.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:10 PM
frambo

He he! Guess what? It might be a woman thing? My wife sounds like your mom. She just doesn't understand!!!!!!

I tell her that I am going to buy another RC truck and she says "You already have a bunch of them".....DUH!!!! Of course I do. I want more

I am glad that your dad is on your side. I bet he will get into the truck once you get it. Then you will have a strong allied force.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:26 PM
89jettawolfs

don't try to rush to grow up. If you have enough money to buy a savage and you're only 14 you've got it pretty good. I'm 21 and already have a family to support and a full time job. believe me i couldn't wait to get out of school, but it was alot more fun when i look back on it. and i agree about the woman thing my fionce isn't wild about the price of this hobby, but it's still cheaper then my other hobby. My real car. i got 20 times the money into that then rc's. and i do this at home not at the shop. so my advice enjoy being young while you can. it doesn't last all that long.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:37 PM
lynx the great
My Feedback: (1)

let's see your real car...

old ultima

pat
Old 10-05-2003, 12:03 AM
nodolarsnosense
Banned

it seems when your young you want to grow up to get more money

when your older you you spend money to get mor youth

im 18 and cant afford a savage or anything new you just need to wait (some years) and work hard. "if its worth getting its worth waiting for" is that the saying
Old 10-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: R/C car guy

i am only 14 years old and i am getting into the r/c car hobby. the only problem is my mom. she won't let me buy a r/c car until my progress report comes out from my school. she says i have to have good grades to be allowed to get the car. i hate it!! i'm going crazy waiting to buy my savage!!!

at first she wasn't even going to let me buy the savage because it was too much money(keep in mind that i would be buying it with MY money). but after almost a week of bugging her i was able to convince her to let me buy it. but then she decided to take advantage of me wanting something and said i have to do good in school to buy it.

you older guys are lucky. you can buy anything you want and you have jobs so you have basically as much money as you would want to spend. it took me forever to save my money and finally i have enough money to buy what i want and my mom won't let me buy it.
It sounds to me like your mom is being a sensible woman. After all, she is only requiring that you keep your grades up—she is not asking you to pay for your food, pay rent, pay utilities, television, phone and so on. She probably has not even asked you to pay the difference in the vehicle insurance when you reach driving age or help pay for medical insurance. Those are just a few of the things most “lucky†adults pay. Then there are those adults who aren’t even employed.

The “bottom line†is that luck really has nothing to do with it. If you want a Savage, make it happen. Keep or get your grades up. Real life is no different because instead of grades, you still compete with the person next to you unless you never want to move up or get a raise.

Myself, I wish I was as smart as Warren Buffet or at least followed in his footsteps. Do you know who he is? If not, he is CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, he is the second wealthiest man in the world, and Arnold Schwarzenegger recently picked him as his economic advisor. My point is that when he was your age, he spent his money to purchase some land which he leased out while he was still in high school. He later went to college and graduate school. Now you and your family probably purchase some of the products or services from entities owned by Berkshire Hathaway.

Have fun with the Savage--SS or 25, whichever.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:35 AM
cemeb4dk

when your young you have a mom that complains about the hobby its too expensive etc. then when you get old you have a wife that says pretty much the same thing. so RC guy things really dont change, uts just when you get older the toys get bigger and more expensive.

Good luck on getting the savage and congrats on saving and using your own money. Your gonna love it ....
Old 10-05-2003, 12:39 AM
lynx the great

im 16 it's not to bad. lol

my mom has not bought a thing for this hobby not even a drop of fuel

pat
Old 10-05-2003, 01:01 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

u guys are lucky cuz when i was young never even have the money to buy and my freaking neighbor is so selfish wouldnt even let us touch his toys....youre mom is right i know she doesnt care if u spend money but if this hobby would ruin your education then she have the right to stop u..imo...well just do good in school then thats not hard to do...hobby and school dont mix together so get rid of school ..hheheeh just kidding
Old 10-05-2003, 01:20 AM
lynx the great

you learn alot from this hobby. try and use that agenst her ...ha-ha-ha...

pat
Old 10-05-2003, 06:42 AM
Isphius

dude im only 16 and i have a job, and although low paying, lets me buy all kinds of rc stuff, mostly because i have no bills. just get a job at shoprite or something.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:38 AM
slugbugg

Us older guys are not as "lucky" as you may think yeah we have jobs and can buy lots of goodies (after the bills are paid) but I keep thinking the younger people of today have it pretty good/easy.Back twenty years ago there wasn't anywhere near as many RC items to choose from and everything seemed to cost more than things do now.Plus RC stuff is just easier to get now and there are so many sources, there was no internet "NO INTERNET" for quick info and great deals twenty years ago when I got into RC.

Be patient you will get the Savage, your mom just wants to make sure you keep the grades up and in the long run doing good in school and getting a good paying job will allow you more freedom to do/buy what you want.If you think buying an RC truck is fun just wait untill you walk into a new car dealer and pick out what you want, that is a 100 times more thrilling than a new RC.
Your mom knows it all starts from good grades leading to a good job with good pay to living the good life.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Razoo
My Feedback: (2)

This hobby needs more moms like yours!
Old 10-05-2003, 09:08 AM
R/C car guy

hey you guys that are older with jobs, how much do you spend on r/c stuff in an average month?
Old 10-05-2003, 10:09 AM
89jettawolfs

ORIGINAL: lynx the great

let's see your real car...

old ultima

pat
i triedto post these yeaterday but couldn't access them. alot of engine worktons of suspension stuff interior exterior, just did my stereo install, some custommbody work coming over this winter then paint in the spring. it'll be in north east shows next year.all the work done by me. any questions about mods justvask too many to list.

Old 10-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Unruely

In the average month I may spend $20. I'm 39, with a wife, house payments, doctor bills, taxes, car payments, utilities........ If and when I pay the bills, buy groceries, etc.. I will spend a very small amount of my free money on R/C. I have greater responsibilites first. I think your mother is 100% correct. I imagine in 10 years you might be saying these same things to some other young person..

Martin
Old 10-05-2003, 11:04 AM
creeping death

take my word for it, 20 yrs from now, when u can buy whatever you want, you will wish u were 14 again!
Old 10-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Wild Beat

LOL, I think you just scared all us young'uns....Just work for the truck and have fun man......enjoy. RT.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Rex2342

Just be glad you don't have things like Mortgage,car payments,insurnce,taxes,credit card bills LOL.I'm only 21 with all this responsibility so be glad your still young (well younger than me)and live at home and don't have to deal with this stuff just yet.Take everyones advise and keep doing good in school.I know it seems like a hassle and is unfair but your mom is right.If I would have done better in school I wouldn't be working in a gas station trying to keep myself out of the poor house lol.Luckily I still have options for college and stuff like that.Keep your grades up and get yourself a good job and then you can all the R/C's you want.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:44 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

ur scaring the poor kid! ill tell him what he wants to hear...

::clears throat::

tell the biabia to mind her own buisness, its your money and you should be able to spend it how you want! Tell her it teaches you about basics in mechanics and such, and if she doesnt like it, to bad. go with a friend to buy it then come home with it, she can't make you return it or make you sell it. ITS YOUR PROPERTY NOT HERS. Don't let her give u that "you dont pay the bills" bs, because she is your mom and your 14, she hast o pay them!!
Old 10-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Hey, I am almost 50 and I still have to watch my money and not buy what I want when I want it. It will never get better with time.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:06 PM
69 GTO

Yupp just wait another 20 years then you will wish you were 14 again i know i do. And i completely understand what the guy with the real car he was building is talkin about......i have a (real)69' GTO that i am building a drag car outa' and its been 4 years and its STILL not done!..$$$$$$[:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.