Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

reciever packs for T-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Bigcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reciever packs for T-maxx

I am not new to the hobby but I am new to Nitro. I have a T maxx 2.5 and would like to upgrade to a rechargeable receiver pack for more power to my electronics. My questions is this: When I replace the stock 4 aa battery pack with the rechargeable how do I maintain the on/off switch. Also how do I keep from having to open my receiver box after every run to disconnect it? And also how do I charge it. I have a Duratraxx dual charger, can I make an adapter for it? Help a brother out here[>:]
Old 10-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: reciever packs for T-maxx

There are on/off switches that allow you to charge through them which go from the switch itself into the receiver. Then simply add the appropriate connection to your charger set up. I can charge my 1/4 scale and 1/8 scale using the same method. My 1/5 scale will be that way very soon since I plan on replacing the battery set up. For some reason, I never thought about doing that with my T-Maxx. And my charger, a Quasar Pro, was modified right out of the box by cutting the alligator clip connection off and adding deans connections to link three different types of connections (to the alligator clips, the on/off switch connections, and to the batteries themselves). I hope that helps or at least gives you a few ideas.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Bigcat

That helps. But where do I get the on/off switch to accomplish this? Also, I'll need to make an adapter from my charger to my reciever pack. Since the battery pack will only have a reciever adapter, do I make a connector with a reciever adapter to connect to my charger?
Old 10-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my on/off switches and the adapters from my LHS. The on/off switch I wrote about has a second connector (or a Y) which is where the charger would plug into. The charger would need an adapter to be able to plug into the Y connection. That's why my charger has a deans connection which plugs into one of three different connectors--1) alligator clips, 2) Y connection, and 3) directly to the batteries. Please note that my charger has variable settings to account for the various battery types and charging rates.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Jarc-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Not sure WHY you need a special switch when you can do it yourself if you have a soldiering iron and some electrical tape or liquid tape.

Cut the wire leading to the batteries AT the 4 cell holder. Strip back 1/4 inch of the insulation and set aside.

You will need to strip back or remove the insulation on the receiver pack wires about 2 inches from the batts. Only about 1/4 inch should be removed.

Solider the wires together w/ black on black and red on red. Be sure to cover the exposed area with tape or liquid tape. This will allow you to charge the pack while it is in the case. When you re-assemble the case, be sure to hang about 1 inch of the receiver wire out so you can plug the batts into the charger.

Simple and cheep fix....

Charge rate..... MAKE SURE YOU CAN charge the pack at about 1 amp. Anyting more will "cook" the batts and you will be looking for a new pack.

The Duratrax Dual charger has a 3amp and 1 amp setting.. USE THE 1 AMP SETTING ONLY!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:36 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Why don't you just get a NiMH pack that HAS a switch already built in?!?!

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/show...temID=10160.16

This is the best pack for the money ($50), and probably the best overall (of course it is...I bought one) 2700mah is a LOT more than Ballistic Batteries 1650mah version, which is often touted as a great product (it still is http://www.ballisticbatteries.com/Pa...ID=200&Search= ).

Both of these simply bolt in where the stock Traxxas battery box goes-NO SOLDERING (Ballistic actually USES a Traxxas box, but puts in a "better" on/off switch). Both have onboard charging jacks, so you just plug in your charger-no disconnecting the pack from the car, then hooking in the charger.....!! And onlybatterypacks.com even has a 2700mah version that is designed to get strapped on to the shock tower, which helps distribute the weight better & keep the nose down.

Yeah, you can buy a cheaper, 1100-1500mah pack & wire in a switch & a charging jack. But for a LITTLE more $$, you get a tremendous battery in a no-hassle package.

Dean
Old 10-13-2003, 11:59 AM
ITCHYTRIGGER

This may sound really stupid but i can't help to ask this question. what does a battery pack offer that a rechargeable NiMh AA batteries have? this cars are designed to run on AA batteries doesn't it? please explain i need to know. all my bashers are using rechargeable. i noticed that my 1/8 scale mugen and HPI r40 uses packs so there must be difference.. help
Old 10-13-2003, 04:50 PM
Bigcat

Rechargeable packs offer more voltage for the electronics. Thus this gives more juice to the servos and quicker handling response and throttle response. I put a Hi-torque steering servo in my T maxx for better handling but the AA don't offer enough voltage and drain way too quickly.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Bigcat

I bought the 2700 mah pack from Onlybatteries.com yesterday. It is a direct replacement for the stock battery box. This should give me a good boost in voltage and response. I appreciate all the info and help everyone has offered.

Thanks a million