Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

The official MT newbie guide!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

The official MT newbie guide!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Rex2342

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The official MT newbie guide!!!!!!!

With all the new releases on the market I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread about all the different MT's available.HOWEVER I DO NOT WANT THIS TO TURN INTO A BASHING THREAD!!!! If it turns into a bashing thread I will ask the mods to remove it!!!!

I want FACTS on whatever MT you guys have or have had and add in some good tips and tricks for the new guys.Opinions will do but only if they can be backed up with some kind of professional input or experience.I don't want to hear this "MT sucks" because because it broke or that "MT sucks" because it is slow.I just thought it would be good to hear about ALL the different Setups,Hop ups,Engines,and Bashing stories you all have with your MT's.But who ever said I was capable of abstract thought
Post any reveiws of new and upcoming projects you find too!
Hopefully we can keep this civilized and give the newbies some good info about what to buy and what not to buy for their MT's.Since the Savage21 (my truck)has been updated to the Savage25 I cannot comment on the new setup without owning it myself.What I CAN do is help with some good hop up parts and help you all steer clear of the not so good ones witch i've unfortunately discovered the hard/expensive way

Things to steer clear of for the Savage:

1: Hot Bodies Threaded Shock set.They look good but looks can be deceiving.The shock shafts and rod ends are weak and bend and brake easily.The Shock Body itself is flawed and allows the shock shaft to move back and forth witch is what cause's the damage to the shafts and rod ends.Also the threaded collars do not have an O-ring in them and they tend to not hold their settings.It's easy enough to fix with a shock spacer but it defeats the purpose of paying extra for threaded shocks.I've had to use most of my STOCK shock parts just to make them work semi-acceptable.

2:Proline Velocity 6 40 series rms.They strip out very easily.Lucky for me Proline has excellent customer service and replaced both sets(8 total) of mine for free!!!! A+++ for Proline!!! But if you don't want to go through the hassle of spending the cash and then stripping the hex's out,and waiting for Proline to ship you new ones steer clear of them.

3:Now this isn't really an item to stay away from it's more like a usefull tip.The Big Joes 40 series tires.They are the heaviest 40 series MT tire and slowed my Savage down quite a bit after I installed them.However I am very pleased with the performance of the tire.Great traction on most surface's and have proven to be very durable (since i'm now on my 3rd set of rims with the same set of tires)But like I said they are a little heavy and will slow you down.

4: GPM alloy brake hub.Mine is rounding itself out(after 2 gallons)and the brake disc is no longer snug on the hub.Integy makes a brake hub also.I plan on buying one soon to replace my worn GPM one.When I get it I will let you know how well it works!

Thats all i'm going to comment on at the moment.I'm sure their are other parts but I can't think of them at the moment.After I get some sleep(been awake for 22 hours) i'll post some of the better parts and give you guys some nice links to some good mods.Remeber these little reveiws are based on my own personal experience.I'm just trying to help out and save some of you the headache of finding this info out like I did.I'm in no way telling any of you what to do I'm just sharing my experience.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Rex2342

Default RE: The official MT newbie guide!!!!!!!

I'm sure you've all read this already but here it is anyway straight from HPI's webpage:

ENGINE BACKPLATE SCREW UPDATE

We have had reports of some problems with the backplate of the S-25 engine vibrating loose, which can cause the engine to not run properly and possibly damage the engine. Upon inspecting some of the engines, we determined that the torque setting for the screws that hold on the backplate were not tight enough from the manufacturer. Only one week's worth of Savage 25 RTR's were affected, but it is a good idea to check these as preventative maintenance.

To correct the problem you can either follow the instructions below, or send us the engine and we will update it for you. See the "Contact HPI" section for information on where and how to send in the engine.

Here are the instructions on how to secure the backplate screws:

Reinstall engine in reverse order of the disassembly process, set gear mesh so that there is a small amount of play between the clutchbell and spur gear. This is a relatively easy update, the entire process should take less than 10 minutes.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:15 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Thanks for the info dawg

ram
Old 10-13-2003, 10:31 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Terra Crusher Tips:

1. Make sure the Exaust header is on tight, mine was slightly unscrewed when brand new, didn't notice until i saw the black wire out of place which gives the negative charge to the electric starter.

2. Re-attach the airfilter with a zip tie, best bet though is to totally replace it ASAP.

3. Locktite everything, this truck does not come predone.

4. Have fun, because this truck will NOT break on you in hard crashes!

Emaxx Tips:

1. readjust the slipper before first run, way to tight (at least mine was).

2. DO NOT try to climb like you would with a nitro vehicle, like running over curbs and such, the a-arms will snap very easily. It may be a good power horse for climbing, but the chassis can't take the ruggedness of the task.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:50 AM
Rex2342

Heres a few links to some highly recmmended hop ups/mods.

This one is not really needed anymore due to the new fuel tank design but it's still good info

Fuel tank mod: http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic3265.html

This one is nice if your tired of stripped out wheels hex's.I have it on my Savage

Rim/Tire upgrade: http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic758.html

I have this mod too!!! It's a much better setup for the throttle/brake linkage.It requires alittle modifying but it's very easy.

Linkage mod: http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic2179.html

I haven't tried this one yet myself but it is supposed to be a very good steering mod.

MP servo saver mod: http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic2361.html

This one is highly recommended!

Diff mod: http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic2200.html

Wish I would have read this before I bought my shocks

HB threaded shock problems fix: http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic1423.html

I have this mod too.Serious braking power!!!!

Dual disc mod: http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic302.html

I gotta give alot of props to the guys over at Savage Central.They really know their stuff and i've learned alot from these guys.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:19 PM
MrSavage

aight i got a question and i might by a savage 25 in a couple weeks (decided to do that rather than hop up my gt)... i've heard the sav 25 doesn't hace the stripping problem like the old 21...does that just mean it comes with unstripable rims or the axles actually prevent stripping of any wheel?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:00 PM
Rex2342

The wheels hex's have been changed on the newer Savage25 and the SS version.The wheels hexs now have several raised lines on the face of the hex.Now instead of the hex having a smooth face and stripping the wheels it has something to 'grab' on to.I'm not sure how well it is working but I haven't heard any complaints so far.