RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Sirio .18 worst motor ever?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 06:34 PM
chris-fla
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirio .18 worst motor ever?

I have the Sirio .18 slide carb motor in my TMAXX and it is the worst engine that I have ever owned. I have owned countless Nova Rossi, RB, OS, and Saito engines in cars, planes, and boats and have never had a problem tuning them. I email Trinity and they are so clueless as they give conflicting info, one tech says to use a MC-9 plug, another says that won't work and that I should use a MC-59 plug. I finally said, what do you recommened for optimum performance, they said Trinity Power 20% and a Nova Rossi 6, 7, or 8 plug, could you be more vague and clueless! The website says to have the high speed 5.5 turns out, but the techs indicate that 7.5 is the correct setting. When I finally get it running correctly, it runs at 280degrees! I am using the big bore pipe and my LHS says this could be the problem. Does anyone have any clue how to get this engine to run right before I throw it away and buy and OS or try a fantom?

Frustrated in FLA!!!

Chris
Old 10-14-2003, 06:57 PM
dagass

Default RE: Sirio .18 worst motor ever?

Dont toss the Sirio yet! Lynx_the_great has that engine in his T-maxx and it moves pretty good. It started easy and produced some good power. He got his up and running pretty quickly. Maybe he can give you some pointers with it.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:08 PM
crzy-svg-usr

i will take the sirio off ur hands i wanna wheelie my maxx is justs itting now no motor
Old 10-14-2003, 07:24 PM
lynx the great
My Feedback: (1)

hey man ive got a motor i can sell ya!
Old 10-14-2003, 07:25 PM
crzy-svg-usr

how much ya askin? and what kind?
Old 10-14-2003, 07:25 PM
chris-fla

I have put a 1/2 gallon of trinity 20% power fuel, how much would you give me for the engine? I am open for some suggestions before I look elsewhere, most likely a OS CV-RX.

Chris
Old 10-14-2003, 07:28 PM
crzy-svg-usr

ummmmm 30 bucks
Old 10-14-2003, 07:29 PM
chris-fla

multiply your offer by 4 and I would consider it.

Chris
Old 10-14-2003, 07:35 PM
crzy-svg-usr

120 its use dfo rone ,breakin couldas whent wrong, doesnt stay running, mighta been overheated all those times, and coulda had wrong type of fuel through it
Old 10-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Jarc-RCU

Fuel he used should be fine....

The # of turns out though is questionable..... So it could have been ran a tad hot.

Hows the compression cold and hot? 280 aint bad.... thats about the maxx Id like to see my own motors run... but aint bad. 285+ your pushing the envelope hard.
290 you got a prob somewhere...300 TOASTING MARSHMALLOWS and ordering a new piston/sleeve and possible corod shortly.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:50 PM
chris-fla

What could be the problem? I have replaced all of the fuel lines and made sure that the fuel tank did not have an airleak. How many turns do you recommend starting out with? I am using the fuel that Trinity recommends. Even when the engine is hot, there still is a pinch at the top of the stroke, I always shut it right down when it kisses 280 degrees as I know that spells death for an engine. Heck I run my OS .21 v01b at 210 degrees in my inferno without any power problems.

Chris
Old 10-14-2003, 09:02 PM
chris-fla

lynx the great:

What are your secrets to getting this engine running well? What needle settings do you use, fuel, and glow plugs?

Chris
Old 10-14-2003, 11:02 PM
lynx the great

ok

fuel---- elimiator

plug---- any O.S.

settings---- high 7.5 turns out
low 2.5 turns out
dont screw with the mid

and also it sounds like you might have a air leak make sure your back plate is seald and put a bead of silocon around the mid screw...

if none of these work pm me

pat
Old 10-25-2003, 03:09 AM
nsyzek

Hey

I have a sirio too... I keeps cutting out at full throttle - I have tried a number of adjustments with the idle setting from 41/2 to 71/2 turns out, but I can't seem to get it running smoothly. Any suggestions? Could it be a bad plug?[:-]
Old 10-25-2003, 08:05 AM
j-maxx

yea lots of ppl have had trouble with siros thats y i got a fantom .18 instead .mine dosent any problems at all
Old 10-25-2003, 10:38 AM
chris-fla

Yeah, if you high end is too lean it will cut out and bog at high rpm. Try the following: 7.5 turns on the high end, 2.5 turns on the low end with a nova rossi 7 glow plug and trinity 20% power fuel. With this combination the engine will run all day long at 260-280 degrees. That is why I sold mine and bought a os .15 cv-rx. Don't believe what people say about airleaks, there aren't any in this engine except is the porting and it just runs really hot. I had some idiot tell me at my local track that I had airleaks and that is why it was not running right and running at 260 degrees. I promptly took my temp gun up to 2 of his "properly sealed" engines and guess what, 270 degrees and 280 degrees. This engine is not very good.

Chris
Old 10-25-2003, 11:56 AM
diirtbag
My Feedback: (3)

a few people I know have the sirio it wasent very impressive until they put the sirio pipe on it made a huge difference the sirio is a racing engine as well meaning it needs rather steady attention on the tuning you cant just set it and leave it .I have not seen a more impressive engine the sirio smokes any .21 -.26 I have seen. if you get rid of it one day youre going to see one running properly and kick youreself.I have an cvrx and that sirio kills it
Old 10-25-2003, 12:30 PM
j-maxx

ZAD have u every seen a maxx with a picco .26 in it cause i have and i know for a maxx with a sirio and the siro pipe still cant beat it .
Old 10-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a Sirio in my bro's Tmaxx and I cant say enough about it. Its one of the best engines I've ever seen. The quality of the machining and parts is excellent. It broke in like a charm and runs hard and steady. It hardly needs any baby sitting and will hold a tune all day. I personally HATE the Tmaxx but the Sirio gave it alot more fun. I still whoop it with my Force rngine Savage. On a real long straight he will start to run me down but at that point its time to turn around anyway. there is NO way a Sirio maxx will beat a Picco big block maxx, its just impossible.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:14 PM
jeeptuff

Funny thing about this is my Sirio is the bomb, been real good to me, had to do the first rebuild after just over 5 gallons of fuel.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:18 AM
Yacoltster

Default RE: <span class=

I have seen several sirios run at my local hobby shop, even a .21 converted maxx is no match. So I bought one! So far the first 5 tanks went great. The last three have been quite a challenge. Either too hot or too cold. Lots of power or no power. Talked to a friend of mine who has been tuning RC stuff for over 10 years. He had just been working on a sirio this morning and found the following.
Be sure the allen cap on the side of the carb is tight. He discovered a motor in which the cap was loose, not allowing the lowend needle to seat properly making the bottom end a nightmare to tune. Be sure the lowend needle and seat are full seated when the throttle is shut down.

(Turn the lowend needle in all the way. Close the throttle and blow through the fuel infeed nipple. If air is blowing by the lowend needle it is defective. Needle should be fully seated closing off all fuel supply.)

The pinch bolt securing the carberator was discovered to have an air leak on the opposite end of the nut. A little dab of silicone on the smooth end of the pinch bolt fixed that leak. My sirio runs between 245--265. Wheelies on demand! And the last tank..........well, tuning was a breeze.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:49 PM
rcmtdriver2000

Default RE: <span class=

Chris I live in fla as well. these motors don't like the humidity at all.That's why all the trucks come out for the winterchamps around november on. You might want to try using a rich low speed setting and start with a good idle. From there go from high speed needle to low speed needle as you tune it.I've noticed I have to run a rich low speed setting to keep the motors running because I run on maybe 4 feet above sea level.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:38 AM
iotech

Default RE: ANYONE GOT SIRIO .18TX FROM UK

Hi im running a sirio .18tx (3.0) slide carb,blackheader,blue backplate.

hsn 4.5 from default settings
lsn 2.5 from default settings.
fuel model technics 20%
mc9 plug.

just ran five tanks to break it in,but i have noticed that when i come to give full throttle is has a serious bog problem. but it is running rather rich, fuel spittint out onto rear wheel, lots of blue smoke. runs ok on low rpm 1/4 throttle.after that bogs out. but all the posts say to run hsn 7.5 ....very confused as to why i should have to richen out.

starting to do my head in..any help will be really helpfull.

emailed trinity ( they said to contact www.star-motor.com as its not one of their engines)
emailed star-motor they dont even reply.lol
Old 04-26-2004, 01:17 PM
chetscc

Default RE: ANYONE GOT SIRIO .18TX FROM UK

Hi,
I am new to nirtro engines and this may seem to be a dumb question, but when you say 5.5 turns do you mean. Turn it all the way clockwise until it is tight then turn it 5 full 360 degree turns counter clockwise and then 1-180 degree turn counter clockwise.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon
Old 04-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Running_On_E

Yes Brandon, that what they mean, now to the original post!, I just put a Sirio 18 in my bro's T-Maxx, and yes it runs hot, but A. forget the break-in fuel, B. You realy need to RTV the Carb and Carb Bolt, Both sides, what i mean is place some RTV around the out side of the carb before you slide it all the way in, ( DO NOT GET IT INSIDE THE CARB ) Also, the engine doesnt start running right intill after 1 Gallon, Ive had alot of trouble with this engine to.. but it seems like its starting to work right,, also your right about it running hot,, the manual said from 200 to 220 is the ideal temp,? on what planet, does anyone have a Sirio that actual runs at this temp, consistantly>? Also make sure you dont over tighten the idle screw and make the slide carb stick!
Odonelds 20% - Stock t-maxx air filter, - Big Bore Pipe - OS 8 spark plug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.