Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Newby here. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 07:28 PM
C750mech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby here. Need some advice.

I am looking at buying a monster truck. Have experience with r/c aircraft but not trucks. Please before we start no flaming. I was leaning towarda TMAX but I seem to hear a lot about breakage. Although I also here that parts are plentiful and relatively everywhere. I am also looking at the new savage 25. But I hear that there customer service is not very good. And I do not know how easy it is to buy parts. Would you all give me some advice here so I can make a purchase that I will be happy with and get off on the right foot in this hobby.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 08:27 PM
dagass

Default RE: Newby here. Need some advice.

AS you mentioned, the T-maxx seems to have more than it's fair share of parts that break rather easily. Luckily, the T-maxx probably has the most aftermarket support of any RC out there. The new Savage 25 is definitely worth looking at though. I believe most if not all of the Savage parts are universal. The Savage also enjoys an enormous amount of aftermarket support and in my experience, HPI's customer service is on par with everybody elses.

It used to be that the Savage took a back seat to the Maxx because is was nowhere near as fast. HPI has closed the gap in that department (and maybe even passed the T-maxx) with the release of the Savage SS and 25. The suspension on the Savage is also far superior to the suspension on the Maxx. If I were to buy an MT today, I'd be buying the Savage SS. I think HPI builds a little more durability into their kits than Traxxas does. In the end, either truck is still a winner and a ton of fun. Whichever you chose, you can't go wrong!
Old 10-17-2003, 08:39 PM
C750mech

Thanks for your input. I think I will be leaning a little harder toward the savage.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:49 PM
yt35

No! The savage is not faster than the t maxx. Yes the savage is more durable but the t max is more of a race truck and the savage is a basher. just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:53 PM
dagass

The stock T-maxx runs 40-42 mph. The new Savage 25 will also run 40-45 mph. The Savage 21 topped out at around 35 if I remember correctly.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:56 PM
coreyhp
My Feedback: (1)

i would get the savage, best truck out there right now. speed is not a factor when im getting a monster truck, if u want speed get a r-40, suspension and durability are the important things with a monster truck and the savage has all 2 of the key points.

corey
Old 10-17-2003, 09:10 PM
rcanimal

Are you looking for a MT to race or bash? For a racer go with the savage ss, for bashing nothing can compare to Kyosho's madforce. I own a madforce and bash with friends who have savage, tmaxx, dominator and nothing can hold up like the madforce. I continually jump 6 or 8 feet in the air, alot of the times crashing and rolling down hills, without damage. Now don't get me wrong, I do break parts occasionally, but considering what I put it through it holds up extremely well. My friends won't even try to keep up with me as they have all done extensive damage with less extreme bashing. Towerhobbies has decent part support for this truck. The longest I've waited for a part is 3 weeks and that was only once.

Something to think about...