Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Fantom .18 info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 01:14 PM
studysession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fantom .18 info Needed

Can anyone please provide me a link with info on the Fantom .18 for the TMaxx???? It is supposed to be direct drop in for the EZ start and all.

I want to know BHP @ what RPM. I can not find this info. Pleas eprovide me a link or something to help.

Trying to devide to get the Fantom or Sirio for my wife's TMaxx2.5

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:07 PM
flatlander_14

Default RE: Fantom .18 info Needed

hey, i have the fantom fr18 and about 1-1/4 gallons through it so far. it is rated at 1.95hp at i think 41,250rpms. it is really reliable, super fast, wheelies like crazy. the only problems i have had with it is that i stripped out the nut/bolt thing that lock the carbuerator in place. that was from user error/stupidity lol. i have a bad habit of stripping everything out also, i didnt have this problem, but i have heard a few cases of the head screws coming loose, so i suggest you just take them out one at a time and use some good thread locking compound and put them back in until they are all secure. i did this as a precaution as soon as i heard this just incase.

i highly recommend this engine!

[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-21-2003, 04:10 PM
studysession

Good to hear - hopefully more people that have experience with this engine will psot replies also.

I have been toss it between this one and the Sirio.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:18 PM
flatlander_14

on the traxxas boards ::sigh:: lol i have seen a lot of troubles recently with sirio engines popping up. everythign from carb leaks to improper sleeve and piston sizing. i would rather save money too and buy a fantom. i highly suggest the sirio big bore pipe with it too. sounds killer, and drives even cooler than it sounds
Old 10-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

I have been toss it between this one and the Sirio.
Just wonderin'....

...why aren't you interested in the new Picco .21??

I'd think more power/few mods would be a pretty unbeatable combo, especially as you are already resigned to getting new drivetrain stuff.

Dean
Old 10-21-2003, 04:21 PM
studysession

If money is tight - would the TMaxx stock pipe work until I have the money for a new pipe?
Old 10-21-2003, 04:25 PM
flatlander_14

the pipe + the fantom would be the same as if you bought the sirio. lol. i suppose you could use the stock pipe, but it would really restrict power and make it suck lol. i think you need to drill out the pipe to make it work decently. on a side note:

if you plan on hopping up one tmaxx, what if you sold both of your wife's maxxes and bought my hopped up fantom maxx w/ sirio pipe for about $500 or so? i am searching for a savage because i am more into jumps and stuff now. i hate to turn this intoa BSt thread, but it could help both of us out... ill find a parts list/photos to show you. i have well over $1000 into it so you would be damn near halfway through bombproofing it.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:29 PM
studysession

She was going to sell both then she asked me to hop up one of them.

I think she will like it when it is done - but I bet you by next summer she will ask me to sell it and buy something different. After I already bought the Dominator - she has been asking about the Twin engine Titan.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
flatlander_14

there it is without the body off. tons of upgrades.

i installed this to keep the bellcranks from snapping over and locking at WOT. it is a horrible sound. thank god it was headed for a ramp and landed on the roof that one time. it helps tremendously. i can opent he throttle all the way without it locking.

i lost the heat shield so i try to avoid the engine head lol. you can reconfigure the fuel line if you like. ill go buy about $5 of fuel tubing so you can do whatever you need to.

i made this wfrom some old nuts and bolts, zipties, and a spare stock a arm. it works quite well. i adopted this from a similar idea from someone, but he had it flipped upside down from my way and wasnt bolted. i like this way much more.

newly painted body. i like it. mmmmm

cooling holes.

gotta love that color that is what it is close to in real life...

check out that fine ass

-upgrades-
-fantom FR18 engine
-sirio big bore pipe
-gs exhaust coupler
-gs air filter adapter
-motorsaver air filter
-rpm front a arms(rears will get on when/if i break a rear a arm)
-rpm skid plates
-proline crowd pleazer body
-venom temperature monitor*
-hitec hs645mg steering servo
-team associated shocks (w/ team trinity black springs on the outside corners of the truck, and stock red springs on the insides, losi 45wt oil all around, #2 pistons in front, #3 in rear)
-traxxas foward only conversion
-racer's edge hex head screw kit
-kimbrough servo saver

-custom modifications-
-i have the spring on the throttle linkage to keep the bellcranks from snapping over and locking at full throttle
-the stock tires are slotted to allow them to flex more and it works really well
-i have the home made wheelie bar out of an old a arm
-got my mom to use her sewing skills to help make me some shock socks and it only cost 79 cents, instead of $20 lol
-i dont really consider this a mod but i rerouted the fuel line since i lost the heat shield to avoid the intake line from touching the head lol
-the red wire for the ez start is only being help on by a ziptie because the end cracked and fell off when bashing in the middle of a field, bleh... of course
-i took some bearings from the reverse module when i took it out and used them to replace two of the bushings in the steering bellcranks. only 2 of the 4 were exhanged for bearings and it makes a good deal of a difference

-regular use stuff-
-the engine runs on blue thunder 20% race formula*
-ive been using OS #8 glowplugs with great success(ill provide the one in the engine as of now and one extra too)
-motorsaver filter oil is used for the foam element
-prather afterrun oil is used to keep the engine in top shape*

* means it wont/probably wont be included.

if you give me some time, i need to buy the new thingy that locks the carb down. i think ill have it around friday. ill have you know the turnbuckles are a bit bent, but can easily be bent back/replaced for ti. ones.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:41 PM
studysession

I do have a CVEC Rear exhaust I could try and put back on.

I am going to just upgrade hers. I don't want to buy one alreayd upgraded. I already have some of the parts bought. just need the RPM Skid plates and the Shock towerers, then just get the motor.

Figure get the CVD's after stock ones break. But am planning on replacing them.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:45 PM
Deandome

HEY...
..I just got my Crowd Pleeezer body yesterday (along with a pre"painted" Parma Gravedigger).

It's gonna be my winter project, but it's a shame that I'll now be forced to buy a buncha new tools (airbrush, scissors)

Anyhoo, I haven't opened the ProLine "body-bag", but I notice that cool add-on white spoiler you have on your Pleezer body. Is that a std part that's in the "kit", or is it something you bought or whipped up to make a cool body cooler?

Dean
Old 10-21-2003, 04:48 PM
studysession

I don't think it comes with the kit.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:57 PM
flatlander_14

its molded in right under the rear bumper. you gotta cut it out and drill holes and mount it yourself.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:06 PM
studysession

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Radio Control car action magazine -
Nov 2003 issue -

Fantom 1.95bhp 41,250rpm

I think I will get the fantom.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Razoo
My Feedback: (2)

Last weekend a guy at our track had one in his Tmaxx, he took the temperature and it was 320 degrees! He told me that normal running temp. according to Fantom is 340. When you break it in your supposed to get it up to operating temp as soon as possible.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Deandome

Not to be a pest, you never answered a pretty important question that Maxx engine replacers should address:

I'd think more power/few mods would be a pretty unbeatable combo, especially as you are already resigned to getting new drivetrain stuff.
I called Werks yesterday to get the skinny, and they should be at stores by mid-December & they will street between $175-200. I'm guessing they'll arrive at the same time or EARLIER in the UK, as it's an Italian engine. In case you want to find anything out, your distributor is:

CML Distribution
UNIT 4, PHASE 4, BUNTSFORD HILL INDUSTRIAL ESTATE,
BROMSGROVE, WORCESTERSHIRE, B60 3DX
Telephone +44/(0)1527575349
Fax +44/(0)1527570536
E-mail: [email protected]

Of course, you have to go thru a VENDOR, but they can probably help you find ones near you.

BTW, is there any way for you to avoid that horrendous VAT you have? If you buy thru a US mailhouse like Tower or Stormer, do you still get socked? Would it be quasi-legal for one of us to buy it for you & then send it to you (avoiding a package that looked like it's coming from a reatailer)??

Dean
Old 10-23-2003, 11:24 AM
studysession

I am on a military base. So I have a US & a UK address. I ship US Postal Service or Royal mail.

I could not aford to buy from tower if I had to pay the VAT on everything I bought.... I do a lot of mail order because how expensive things are here. Much less the currency conversion rate changes daily.

Today it is $1.73 american = 1 english pound -- So if something cost a dollar in the US it usually cost a pound over here. But then you have to add in the conversion rate. After paying for shipping from the US it is still cheaper to pay the shipping and everything it is still less for me to buy from the US. It is amazing how many people here do just that. Mail order everything they can ship.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Deandome

Why do you keep avoiding the question? Do you have something against the Italians that you don't want us to know about?

Dean
Old 10-23-2003, 11:33 AM
studysession

I am not going to wait til it comes out. I am going to order something within the next week. I don't want a motor not tested or reviewed either.

I posted same question on other boards and a lot of people have experience with the Fantom and Sirio replied back. I am more impressed with the Fantom from what people posted.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:58 AM
dagass

Hey Study,

Have you seen the drop in pipe that Fantom put out to go along with the Fantom .18? If not, here's a quick pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61035.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	69486  
Old 10-23-2003, 12:03 PM
studysession

Do you know where I can order that online?
Old 10-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Deandome

Of those two, I'd go with the Fantom too. There's been a handfull of unhappy Sirio users I've seen, and not really any serious problems reported by Fantom. Of course, the Fantom has only been out & running for about 2 months now, not nearly enough time to get a read on it's performance/durability/quirks.

I'm a bit leery of the 340 deg. run temp (which IS an "official" rating from Fantom), as it makes it sound like it's more high strung. Kinda like a turbo engine in a car, high operating temps & high revs WILL affect engine life & maintanence, regardless of whatever space age alloys they claim to use.

That's why I'm waiting 'till my 2.5 craps out. By then (spring, probably), there will be more reports on the Fantom's strangths & weaknesses as well as some time for the Picco users to chime in.

Dean
Old 10-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Deandome

Based on the many posts I've read here & elsewhere, probably about 80% of Fantom users opt for the SIRIO big-bore pipe.

Heresy, you say?

Well, the Fantom T-Maxx pipe is $70 for the cool, raw "works" finish, and about $75 for chrome. https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...pl?pn=FAN20020

The Sirio seems to work just as fine, has a cool blue finish, and can be had for $30-40.

Dean
Old 10-23-2003, 12:44 PM
dagass

You can also pick them up at RC Models.

http://www.rcmodels.com/rc-ftm-f038.html

Part # F037 for natural
Part # F038 for chrome
Old 10-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Deandome

You can also pick them up at RC Models.
That would be silly, as I'm sure SS would get the pipe at the same time as the engine, and the engine is $50 more than Stormer at RC Models!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.