Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Starting an 8 port.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 10:48 AM
kennebell50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting an 8 port.

I recently put an Ofna 8 Port on my Savage. Broke the plastic housing on the original pullstart. No problem though I thaught because I had a rotostart and 2 new oneways. Wrong. Burned up the oneways by the end of break-in. Just got 2 new pullstarts yesterday, first the spring SNAPPED. I got furious and almost through the damn truck across the road. Pulled out the second one and installed it and on the first pull the rope stayed extended out. I'm very very very pissed about this whole thing. Am I doing something wrong? In the process of break-in I've lost 2 oneways at $13 each and 3 pullstarts at $21 each. I'm about $100 into trying just break-in this P.O.S.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:02 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Starting an 8 port.

are you heating it up for 2-3 minutes with a hiar dryer before you attempt starting it (it sounds like its still in break in). I know Scott gets his started easily with a pullstart on his hyper 8 port.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:13 AM
kennebell50

I don't heat it up and its already broke-in. I don't want the engine if I have to heat it up everytime. I've never done that on my other engines; why start now. My Kanai 2 has mega torque and it starts easy.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:16 AM
caseyddr

if you have a kanai II why are you using a pullstart...I'm jus telling you what sounds obvious. If you dont want help dont ask for it.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:18 AM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

dude if you read, he has it in his savage. but what you can do, is drop that motor into the buggy, and run a few tanks on it, using the starter box if you have..... if not... i have a Hyper 8 port in my savage, and i got a JUNK carb with mine, after i replaced it with one from my OS RZ, it ran great, i have 1 way troubles with mine.... just after breakin finished.... my one way is slipping.... so i have to look into that... a little wd-40 or nitro cleaner and i should be ok..... it should get better, people find that they break a few pullstarts when breaking in, but shortly there after you should be ok.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:21 AM
chris-fla
My Feedback: (2)

If you have to use the rotostart; the engine is not tuned properly. Try leaning out the low end and unscrewing the glow plug 1 full turn. Leaning out the low end will allow less fuel in the combustion chamber and loosening the glow plug when you start it will lower the compression. Once the engine is running and idling, take your glow plug wrench and tighten the glow plug. When my old 4 port hyper was new that was what I did. Another thing to try is to only have a 1/2 tank when you start the engine as the engine runs richer with a full tank do to the fuel level.

Chris
Old 11-07-2003, 11:22 AM
caseyddr

hehe my bad anyways still it sounds like it isnt fully broken in, because 8ports are known to be very hard to break in (as dagass AND his brother have told me, both have them in there hyper pbs) I also had to do the same thing with my EPIC .18 to get it to break in properly. Jus doesnt sound like he let it idle the tanks it needed to loosen up.. sounds like an improper breakin
Old 11-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

I'm about $100 into trying just break-in this P.O.S.
I don't heat it up and its already broke-in.
Make up your mind, most of the time at least 5-6 tanks the Hyper will be almost fully broken-in and until then heat up the crankcase with a blow dryer or heat gun to bring the sleeve up to 240~ F degrees so it'll start easier. once it's broken in the pinch won't be as extreme and should be easier to start. You could also add an extra head shim to decrease compression which should help on starting the engine up until it loosens over usage then take that extra shim out.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:39 AM
dagass

There's a couple things that may mike your life a little easier. As everybody has mentioned, using a hairdryer to warm up the crankcase is an absolute must during break in. Second is to be sure to rotate the piston to the bottom of the stroke before you yank on the pullstart. That gives it a chance to build up some momentum before it reaches the sop of the sleeve. If your piston is locked at TDC and you start pulling on the cord, you will go through pullstarts like a warm knife through butter. Another thing to be careful of is not to over prime the engine. If you have too much fuel in the chamber, you'll hydrolock and your engine will never start.

When I broke in my 8 port, it was 2 days of sheer agony, but I learned from my mistakes and when it came time to break in RollinRush's 8 port, I had it started in 5 minutes and ran 3 tanks through it in the first hour. With a little patience and following a few simple steps, you'll be rewarded with more power than you know what to do with.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:16 PM
miserynitro

see i have broke in MANY motors, and i had no trouble at all breaking in this motor... just that i had a garbage carb, but i had about 7 tanks of fuel at so rich it was spilling fuel on the ground, then i swapped the carbs, and Off i went , leaned it out gradually and now, i can start it with NO problem.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:41 PM
kennebell50

I've got 10 tanks through it and I leaned it some about 4 tanks ago. The thing is that it isn't catching that hard. The compression is no longer all that bad, its that the replacement pullstarts are trash. I can turn the crank at the flywheel with my fingers now so its now that tight anymore. I would really like to do away with the pullstarts and start it off a drill like the MGT. That would make it so much better as lond as the torque of the drill didn't snap the crank.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:29 PM
miserynitro

the torque of the drill would never snap the crank, but it would snap the Piston rod...... but i LOVE pull starts due to the fact that you can tell by feel what the motor is doing..... when using a drill you don't know if the motor is hydro locked or not, and you are forcing it to go with the drill.... just my 2 cents.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:32 PM
popa71

For once on these forums I agree with Casey the engine isnt fully boken in. Once that thing is broken in it will be a breeze to start. But the break in is very difficult because of the compression of the engine. I did not use a hair dryer but I was very careful when pulling that pull start during break in. I made sure it was never pulled more that have way out the housing and when it locked a turned the fly wheel with a flathead screwdriver to free it up. You will also need to loosen the glow plug up a little to start it then retighten once it is fired up. my engine took 5 tanks to loosen up but my buddys engine took close to a half gallon!!!! Once its boken in you will be happy with it in the Savage. Its a good engine for the cost.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:40 PM
badboy2

the 8port needs to warm up for like 1to2minutes before u get the acceleration u want so when ustart it let it sit for a while then ull see the difference ..it always starts sluggish but if u let it sit for a minute its fine..mine starts in 2-3pulls
Old 11-07-2003, 02:43 PM
dagass

If you can turn over an 8 port with your fingers, one of two things is happening. Either you're Superman, or the engine is sufficiently broken in. I'd be more curious to know how far you're pulling the pullstarter out of the housing. If you pull it all the way out till it won't pull any farther (which is easy to do with an 8 port) then of course you're going to break it. Fortunately for us all, Ofna should be releasing a Roto start for the 8 port reasonably soon.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:50 PM
popa71

Get ready to buy a tool box full of one waybearings I hpe they will release a titanium one way bearing with the roto start for the 8 port. There is no way a one way will hold though the the abuse of break in on 8 port with a roto start.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:53 PM
dagass

You ain't kiddin'
Old 11-08-2003, 04:28 PM
kennebell50

I made one last effort with the 2 pullstarts that I got from Tower, and hey what do you know before the truck even started the return spring snapped again(with the engine heated up and the glow plug half un threaded)on both of them. Its also no secret that the oneways from the rotostart are sh*t as well. So I made my roto-start adapt to my 8 port and totally did away with the oneways and go direct off of the crank itself. It took about 2 hours to make but I will never waist time or money again on oneways or pullstarts. And for those of you who think this may cause engine damage I'll prove you wrong and burn up the engine before the crank or rod snaps from no oneway. I swear I will never ever buy another Ofna product again, my next engine will be a Sirio .27.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:35 PM
caseyddr

if you know what your doing all engines should have no problem breaking in.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:46 PM
dagass

Some engines are tougher than others and each one presents it own unique problem. I can't even begin to imagine why you're having such a hard time with the pullstarts. It's entirely possible that there is just something about that particular engine that doesn't treat pullstarts too kindly. Every bunch usually produces a bad apple. I can tell you this though, the problem you're experiencing is not indicative of Ofna products. Personally, my experience with Ofna and the quality of their products has been nothing but pleasurable.

I have 2 gallons through my 8 port and I've had zero problems with it. It always starts and is reliable as heck. Heli, if and when you find out what it is thats tearing up your pullstarts, let us know. I'm more than a little curious. Good luck with the rotostart!
Old 11-08-2003, 05:01 PM
kennebell50

Ok, I just ran it but I'm having problems tuning it in. My starting method works great. The book says 5 turns out on the high and 3.5 on the low. It runs rich as hell on this, so turned one turn clockwise on the low and almost 2 on the high. It ran harder but it did it on its own, it didn't much respond to the throttle when applied? What is with this thing? I want to get it running and make a vid to post here. And as for Casey, once again you have managed to get under my skin like so many times before. I have ran and maintained more nitro cars than you by far so go ahead and crawl back into moms lap and keep your trap shut kid.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:05 PM
dagass

Heli,

The 8 port is "very" sensitive to needle changes. Start with the HSN. Tune for the best top speed without being too hot. Then, Go back to the LSN and lean it till you get tht throttle response you want. An 1/8 of a turn is the difference between success and failure with this engine. Once you find the sweet spot, you'll forget all about your problems.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:06 PM
caseyddr

glad you added nitro in that sentence cuz ive been running RC for over 10 years jus started nitro though, yet ive broken in quite a few engines and never had a problem :O
Old 11-08-2003, 06:35 PM
miserynitro

i would call ofna, because they knew they had a problem with some of their Hyper 8 port Pullstarts.... call them and see, you might be able to send it in and they will replace both of them free of charge!!!! CALL THEM, don't just freak!! Let them here your problems... they are pretty good at customer service...