RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Monster truck purchase.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:16 AM
neon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster truck purchase.

Which is the best?
OFNA, EK-4, Savage or TMax?
I don't want to be disappointed buying my first nitro monster truck.
Unlimited money.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:24 AM
TheMachine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monster truck purchase.

Unlimited money !!!!! Buy one of each !!!

But if you want the BEST MT get the .26 picco Savage with all the fruit, Radio Models Supplies(www.radiomodels.com.au) can get a you a .26 Savage for around $1000AUD.

TM
Old 11-13-2003, 08:00 AM
mecky33

Why not buy a Cen Fun Factor? less than three hundred bucks and it has the power and quality to run with or faster than the trucks you named. Its only downfall is the radio, and fifty bucks can get you a new one. It is also a very forgiving rig for a beginner, so you wont be buying ton's of replacement parts just to drive it.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Plum Crazy
My Feedback: (5)

Get the Savage it's the toughest of the bunch.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:15 AM
neon

thanks guys.

[link=http://www.ozshops.com/cgi-bin/RT_Resp.cgi?1.IL&mt=na&re=h&nt=dynamic&ta=hpi846_detail::hpi,d:hpi846.txt,p:,s:,i:hpi846. jpg,t:th_hpi846.gif&ip={mt=da&it=n&ap=radio&co=prdetail&us=1068728266-12&kn=pr.pr-land-204-7-311-001&}]http://www.ozshops.com/cgi-bin/RT_Resp.cgi?1.IL&mt=na&re=h&nt=dynamic&ta=hpi846_detail::hpi,d:hpi846.txt,p:,s:,i:hpi846. jpg,t:th_hpi846.gif&ip={mt=da&it=n&ap=radio&co=prdetail&us=1068728266-12&kn=pr.pr-land-204-7-311-001&}[/link]

Is that the package TheMachine?

I couldn't find Cen products mecky33.
Do you think that the Savage will break that easily?
Why is the Cen car any different?
Old 11-13-2003, 08:37 AM
TheMachine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah thats the one all right .....they had that kit for $998AUD about 2 weeks back !, the special was running for about 6 weeks. I lucked out because I bought a Savage from HK days before it !, if that deal was there I would have got that ...but anyway I gotta pretty good deal in the end(probally better money/value wise than that !), Savage.21, MX3 Radio, SX126T(10kg .09sec) and SX112 servo`s, shipped to my door in 3 days..for... $940AUD !!!(no GST, no import duty, no clearing charge ) Whoa !

Its a tough choice !, but a fun one !

TM

PS: The Savage is pretty tough...depends how crazy your are as to how much damage you will do !... its tougher than any of the other mt`s for sure.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:54 AM
ThermalRD

I would say to get the savage or the maxx. Savage in my experience has been more reliable. However the maxx is lighter, and can move just as well with a small block. You cant lose with either one. The drivetrain is your flaw in the maxx, if you ever decide to go big block. The EK is a nice truck, and there are companies that offer hop ups now. Like TripleH, and MSJ. The version 2 has apparently fixed the issues the first run had. Ofna, i feel makes good vehicles, but their customer service is a little slow, and well behind the other mentioned companies. With ofna, for some reason they dont get the aftermarket support. They are good kits though. But you'll be left in the dark if theres anything on the kit you dont like.

Savage 25 RTR
or 2.5 Maxx, thats my thoughts.

Matt
Old 11-13-2003, 09:29 AM
Addicted to Nitro

From what I have heard the Savage is more durable....I have a tmaxx and and it starts up right away and keeps running until you are done.....Its fast its fun and its very easy to control. Im not sure about the savage and the other rc's that you have listed becaues i have never driven them but I am kinda new to nitro....and the tmaxx does me just fine.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:23 AM
mecky33

Thanks Thermal, I feel that some of you guys pushing the other trucks are running around with blinders on. You only see that the most expensive truck is the best. The Fun Factor is lighter, faster and more durable than the maxx. the Savage is a 1/8th scale truck, so it really shouldnt be compared to the maxx or MT2. But for the sake of this thread, the MT2 is faster than the Savage to. It may be true that the savage is the best bashing rig. but it is one of the more expensive as well. And why should we Cen guys give it a rest? You wont. You run around bashing Cen, and I would bet that you haven't even seen a Fun Factor run. I just talked to a guy the other day who owns a LHS and all he will run is the Cen. all his buddys run the Savage, the T-maxx, and what other name brand trucks there are, and he stomps them every time. Plus, people need to know about another choice besides the over priced under engineered trucks that are available. I have seen so many threads on here about people with broken name brand trucks, and they say they are always broken. The guy I bought my truck from, had two broken T-maxx's and a broken savage. He said that of the four trucks, the Cen was the toughest and most reliable. God knows why he sold it. Neon didn't even know the MT2 existed, so now I have given him another choice. And, I am going to see if I can find it available where he is. So he can really compare it to the rest, and have some real choice. So get off your high horse and realize that there are more brands of truck than yours, and that people may want to buy something besides what you want them to buy. Sorry all for going off, but I don't really like being called a chearleader.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:24 AM
mecky33

Can you not find them online, or in your area. Let me know and I will give you some links and try to help you out with it.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:31 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

id rather get the genesis by cen ....but it would take awhile for u to wait cuz its not out yet...anyway my vote goes to the savage
it really is a the best...the mt2 for me looks weak u dont wann even try to jump it cuz it might break
Old 11-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Nitroaddict

neon - one thing to note.....there is no best monster truck. They are all good in their own rights. It really just comes down to personal preference. If you notice - everyone who says this is best, or that is best, usually owns that one. Most of it is just pride in what they have. So what does that tell you? It tells u that the savage guys think the savage is best, the tmaxx guys think the tmaxx is best....and so on, and so on. What that shows is that everyone who purchases a monster truck is happy. Get the one that you want, and it will work for you.

On a side note - since you mentioned that this will be ur first one - its usually good to make sure that the Local Hobby Shop nearby stocks parts for it, since it will enevitably break. Check out what they have, most places stock alot of savage and tmaxx parts, so these should be on the top of your list. The EK4 is a beast - but might be a lil much for a first timer, and parts are hard to come by. The ofna trucks are also great, but pricey, and like someone mentioned before - hard to find aftermarket support.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:54 AM
ShOzz

the other day i was driving a savage SS and i saw what looked to be grass angled into a jump near a side walk, so i wnet full throttle at it to get some serious air.
i came up to the sidewalk and "BOOM" it stopped dead in it's tracks.
turns out it was just fluffy grass right near a 3 inch edge of a sidewalk, no jump at all. i slowly walked over thinking damn, there go the arms and shocks and who knows what else i was going to have to replace. i mean it went full throttle into a 3 inch wall basically.

so i get over there and give it a look over.

Nothing broken, a couple scratches on the arms from impact.

nothing else.

now that is durable.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Clod
My Feedback: (-1)

GET THE CEN THE BEST OF THE BUNCH IT KICKS ASS AT ONLY $300 and if you vist rcmodels.com you can get it for $200 better quality than savage etc this truck rules the rule book
Old 11-13-2003, 02:49 PM
ThermalRD

Post deleted
Old 11-13-2003, 03:05 PM
mecky33

Post deleted
Old 11-13-2003, 04:22 PM
ThermalRD

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Post deleted

Ya know, i certainly dont remember typing anything bad in that last post. Surely nothing worthy of being deleted. Could you atleast notify me what i did wrong?

Thanks, Matt
Old 11-13-2003, 05:14 PM
neon

ok.
Now remember that I didn't want to be disappointed with my first truck.

Savage and Tmax have parts and aftermarket support.

OFNA and EK4 and CEN don't.

But the latter group are faster??

I want to race at a local track, and have fun.
But I don't want to be upgrading my new truck.

The EK-4 I can get for A$1140 with controller (A$944 w/o)
The Savage picco 26 is A$1125.

I will undoubtedly need repairs at some stage, so the Savage SS 26 looks like the one for me ATM.

Should I bother looking into 1/10 scale trucks?

Why do you say the EK-4 is a beast, but not for beginners, if it's cheaper?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Nitroaddict

the EK4 uses a helicopter engine, not a car engine. its top speed is really good, but not equal to the savage. the EK4 shines in low end torque, since it revs to only about 7,000rpms while the savage picco will run up to about 32,000rpm

the EK4 is a great truck, but such an different setup, i just think u would be happier with a more mainstream product. that picco savage is supposed to be just awesome
Old 11-13-2003, 07:19 PM
neon

Thanks man.
I'll talk to my local hobby stores to see if they can get it in.

Or get it from US ('cause the Aussie$ is strong).
Old 11-13-2003, 11:22 PM
ShOzz

you get one that comes with the picco 26, use an 18 tooth clutch bell and your top speed will be up there with the 1/8 scale buggies if you get it tuned right.

my bud has one and it screams with that 26 in there.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:07 AM
irishuwish

[quote]ORIGINAL: ShOzz

you get one that comes with the picco 26, use an 18 tooth clutch bell and your top speed will be up there with the 1/8 scale buggies if you get it tuned right.

my bud has one and it screams with that 26 in there. is the "picco" savage an aftermarket hop-up?or is that an option through HPi?
Old 11-14-2003, 12:09 AM
irishuwish

man! i messed up that reply........
Old 11-14-2003, 12:54 AM
mecky33

As you said, you dont want to have to upgrade your truck and you want to race and have fun. the Cen is a good beginner truck, and they have awesome tech support if you have problems. Just because you can't find upgrades out the ***** for the Cen doesn't make it a bad truck. You want shocks? go with entigy. you want a few odds and ends to stiffen it up? go with new era. I cant remember the name of the company, but they are coming out with a full upgrade kit that includes a new frame shock towers and two braces for the Cen, not that they are needed. Plus with the cost of the Cen, you get in to the hobby with some money left over to get extra parts. Also, back to after market support, Go to cenracing.com. they have quite a few aftermarket upgrades that you can get. some are cosmetic, and some are functional and where created to increase the rigidity of the frame. Ultimately its your decision, and your money. What ever you get, I personally hope that you enjoy this hobby as much as I have in the short time I have been at it.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:11 AM
neon

ORIGINAL: ShOzz

my bud has one and it screams with that 26 in there.
Can I change between the standard bell and an 18 tooth clutch bell?
Will this affect the acceleration from a stopped start?
What speeds are you talking about?
What speeds is this truck capable of with the standard bell?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.