azrctruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diferential oil

how does thicker and tinner oil affect diferential performance
Old 12-01-2003, 12:56 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: diferential oil

Heavier oil in the front tends to pull, heavier oil in the rear tends to push in turns. Think of it this way. The heavier oil, or grease you use, the closer you are to having a locker, or spool type differential. Wide turns with heavy oil. If you are racing, id use a 3k front and rear, its a good starting point. Im assuming you have a savage, since maxx diffs arent sealed. If you have 8th scale buggies, then id be glad to give you some nice setups for that too.

Matt
Old 12-01-2003, 05:08 PM
**MilkMachine**

ThermalRD-WOW I have no idea what your talking about! your confusing me! well in simple terms. the higher the weight of oil the thicker the oil is the thicker the oil is the harder, and slower the shox bottom out. If you get a lighter oil like some 40weight oil you will have soft suspention
Old 12-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Nitro7-inactive

uh dude.... he said differential?????? LOL
Old 12-01-2003, 05:39 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

lol...

Changing the wt.. mainly affects the "rate" or "point" at which the differential transfers power.

We all use open differentials in our R/C (and normal 1:1) cars for the most part (most...)

With this, what happens is when one wheel gets cought up, the OTHER side of the differential (if there is one) gets the power.
I think a torsen/limited slip differential is far better, but an you'd have to be a pro driver and you'd have to have some serious cash to afford that stuff.

Anyway.. for our purposes, the diff oil you put in changes the "shift point" if you will.. If you put in really thick grease, the differential wont "differentiate" much. Thats called "locking a diff"

Theres so much I'd like to say but I gotta run. Sorry if this is confusing! DO A SEARCH ON THE INTERNET for "open differentals" and you'll learn a lot

Ram
Old 12-01-2003, 06:24 PM
**MilkMachine**

opsssssssssssssss
Sorry about that! No wonder I was confused!! hehehehe