Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

HPI Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 04:06 AM
bob4432

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Quality?

i have been in and out of the r/c hobby for over 15 years, have built/operated electric/nitro cars/trucks (1/10), electric scale/sail boats, built/flown gas planes and no power sailplanes.

i am looking to get back into the hobby and was looking at the HPI Savage 25 RTR as fun truck, with not much build time required. the truck will be used to have fun, take on camping trips, tear up the local schools and deserts, but not race. also, this will be my first 4wd vehicle, is there anything i need to worry about?

i am more than capable of building and tuning but i don't have the time available that i use to. also, i have never owned/ran a hpi product, my choices in the past for vehicles were tamiya, losi and associated.

my main concern is strength, reasonable strength. i know how to drive and feel i am atleast average to above average and don't abuse the equipment. my last two rc10gts broke religiously which got to be very annoying, it wasn't so much the money but the time and it got to the point that i didn't even want to drive them because every time i would go out i would break something. they only had about 1 gallon through them and i sold them, too much headache. if there are parts failures do to my stupidity or really pushing it, that is okay, i just don't want things breaking when i am taking it easy.

from my reviews the savage 25 rtr looks like a good vehicle that is and excellent deal, but that is on paper. i would like to hear from people that have had a couple of vehicles and own a hpi product and see how it really stacks up in the dirt.

thanks in advance for your time
Old 12-09-2003, 07:14 AM
SH ByA

Default RE: HPI Quality?

I have the Savage .21 (Well it used to be) and its been a great truck. The Savage .25 has all the upgrades that mine should have had. Its a good truck, and very durable now. Much better than the .21 I think you would like it.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:32 PM
popa71

The Savage 25 will be great, I think you are already on the right track. Now all you have to do is order it!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 01:48 PM
smitty70
My Feedback: (5)

I just received my Savage SS and am about finished putting it together. The fit and finish was top notch and every part seems very beefy and durable. This truck is very refined and is an awsome kit. I can wait to run it.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Savage_Dias

Without a doubt, the Savage is a tough truck! I clear 20 ft x 6 ft jumps one after another & at most it tumbles & cartwheels many times while I run over to it to put it back on it's wheels. To date, I've chewed one front differential (doing MANY endos with a TIGHT brake), one brake pad (lol), cracked tank, one center dogbone (twisted to almost 90 degrees before it broke), worn spur gear, & one catch pin spring on the pull start (pull start loosened after 2 gallons). Except for the spring not allowing me to start it, I still ran it until it was out of gas when anything broke. My only complaint comes with the stock rims being easy to strip. I've ran my engine with it over 300 degrees several times & it still starts & runs like a champ! It's tougher than any other truck I've had & I would definitely rank it VERY close to my Ofna MBX in durability. My MBX didn't break until I hit a tree limb & flipped in more directions than I could count while it fell a good 20 feet.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:03 AM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

very durable truck. The only thing you should get is some nice dogbones. That's pretty much it! I hit my friend's buggy by accident. I broke his c joint, bent his 4 mm Shock tower, and bent a shock shaft and broke a bulk head. All because I hit his tire with my bumper. My truck didn't have a single thing wrong with it.

4mm is VERY THICK! The truck takes MAJOR abuse.

Jack
Old 12-10-2003, 04:10 AM
bob4432

ORIGINAL: otterball21

very durable truck. The only thing you should get is some nice dogbones. That's pretty much it! I hit my friend's buggy by accident. I broke his c joint, bent his 4 mm Shock tower, and bent a shock shaft and broke a bulk head. All because I hit his tire with my bumper. My truck didn't have a single thing wrong with it.

4mm is VERY THICK! The truck takes MAJOR abuse.

Jack
when you say some nice dogbones, what do you all recommend?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:44 AM
crzy-svg-usr

savage 25 comes with hd bones theyr plenty strong my wasp .26 cant bend em and u should get the savage i got one as a newbie the 21 version with not ne tuning experience or reallyu experiance at all but u catch on and its easy one fryed engine later and i can tune [:@]
Old 12-10-2003, 03:35 PM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

The SS comes with the heavy duty dogbones from HPI, I wouldn't get it until you break some. I torqued out one and snapped one. Then I upgraded to the heavy duty ones. They are 15 for two. which is really cheap. Works good there is nothing really wrong with the truck when it comes stock