Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

GS Storm Unlimited Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:26 PM
k-carboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Storm Unlimited Truggy

i picked up the new storm truggy last night after a lot of looking around. i was intending on getting one of the xtm's or a savage ss, but after looking at the gs for a long time (about two minutes) i decided i would be the guinea pig and give it a shot.
i spent some time this afternoon replacing the electronics even though the stock stuff aint half bad. i dropped in my usual set-up; hitec 925 for throttle/brake, airtronics 94359 for the steering and the jr synthesized rx for the xs3 tx. the steering servo was overkill (big time!!!). all i have done thus far is start the break-in process. two more runs tomorrow and ill tune it and let ya know how it does. so far it has whooped up on my freinds savage 25 (we are breaking them in together).

i started my 8th scale racing with a storm so that helped my decision in this purchase. i always had good luck with gs and sometimes wonder why i strayed from them. as with any rtr dont forget to check the entire vehicle over. on this one i noticed that gs had already thread-locked most things, but im glad i checked anyway because there were a couple things they missed.

i will take this thing out new years day so if anyone is interested in details or has any questions put 'em here and ill post again after some run time. as for right now i will have to say this thing rocks!
Old 12-31-2003, 08:54 AM
scottm

Default RE: GS Storm Unlimited Truggy

It must work well, according to the www.gs-racing.com web site, the Storm won the Unlimited class championship in Florida recently.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:08 AM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

I read the article at RCNT about the GS Truggy and it looked simple and nice, I personally think there should be a class created just for truggies (converted buggies or trucks like MP Pirate) because the truggies are as quick as buggies are and have better ground clearance.

So your truggy is sounding good, hope I can get my converted HODR going soon.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:43 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: scottm

It must work well, according to the www.gs-racing.com web site, the Storm won the Unlimited class championship in Florida recently.
I don't know where you read the above, but the link you provided is to a motorcycle racing page. I checked the GS home page and there is no mention of it there either. Before you get your panties in a wad, I recently attended the ROAR region 4 nitro championship race in Tampa FL and the SUT did in fact win the MT class, but it was not an unlimited class win as MT's of all stripes were thrown into a single class. That was the second time I've seen that same truck run and it's one more bad actor. If it can hold up, it will be a big player in the unlimited truck class this season. As a former Storm Pro buggy owner, my concerns regarding the SUT are how well the diffs will hold up over time and the iffy lower arm mounting employed by GS. I was able to reduce the arm mounting block bolt shear problem by using long grade 12.9 screws topped with 4 mm flanged lock nuts, but that was on the buggy with much smaller tires and no drive extensions.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:53 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: k-carboy

i picked up the new storm truggy last night. as for right now i will have to say this thing rocks!
I've seen a pre release SUT race twice in Florida and it's a bad motor scooter. I'm very interested in your impressions of the production RTR. My experience with both the RTR and Pro versions of the GS buggy was that the Pro is a much more durable car than the RTR, so I've been holding out for the conversion kit with plans to get a current Pro buggy kit and convert it. If the RTR proves to be durable enough I'll just get it and refit it for racing. Please keep us updated with any issues and impressions.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:44 PM
scottm

sorry, my mistake, heres the link, and the race was in Cal

http://www.gsracing.com/gsracing/page.asp?pg=news&id=23
Old 12-31-2003, 11:03 PM
k-carboy

well i tuned it tonight and bashed around the house. my first impression is pretty good, but the thing needs more low end, but i am used to competitive 8th scale racing. this may be due to my personal preference, and i know we all have different likes/dislikes. from the midrange and up the thing flat out screams. very stable and predictable with lots of fun on hand.

i have only heard of diff problems with the storm rtr and pro. i have never had any problems with the diff's and only once did i break an a arm hinge pin holder screw(nosed into the landing on a big triple 10 minutes into a half hour main) but still finished first place at that.

i have considered converting this to a pro but until i find any problems i think ill just leave it the way it is. tomorrow looks to be a big day so if anything breaks you will be the first to know.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:43 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: k-carboy

my first impression is pretty good, but the thing needs more low end
This has been the most common complaint with all manner of truggies save the Bergonzoni. Most folks try to get around it by motoring up with some insane engine and wind up breaking their ride more than driving it. What size is the main drive gear in the SUT?
Old 01-02-2004, 02:37 PM
dagass

Here's a link to the Storm Unlimited:

http://www.gs-europe.com/default_zon.../page-190.html

Looks like a pretty sweet ride to me. I've given it the once over at my LHS and it looks to be pretty simple.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:39 PM
k-carboy

ok its got more low end now. i started having problems getting the thing to run so i broke out the 30%. this made a little difference in power but its running more consistantly which is what i was shooting for.

i got the k2 out just to keep it from sitting around and OMG it seemed so fast. its amazing what a person can get used to. the reason i stopped racing monster trucks is because of the huge difference handling. once i get used to a truck the 8th scale seems too twitchy and fast. looks like this gs is just going to be used for the occasional bash session.

oh yeah, y'all might also like to know that this gs sut has been whoopin up on a savage .25 (off the line and on top) but im wodering if its just the tune of the savage. the trucks were a good distance from us (coming at us at that) so he may have had me for the first 10 feet or so, but thats not enough make much difference.
no breaks yet!
Old 01-03-2004, 07:36 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

try using a 3 or 4 shoe clutch with some stiffer springs and gear down in your CB if you still want more low end.

i personally like just about as much low end as possible with out sacrificing the top

bubbafien
Old 01-03-2004, 11:50 PM
k-carboy

im a step ahead of ya. already went down and got a smaller clutch bell and i may steal the turbo slider clutch off the p5 in my k2. that has got to be the best clutch i have ever used! even though i havent installed it yet; i think the spur gear could loose a few teeth and still have room to play with clutch set-up to dial in the low end.
anyway, ill change out the clutch and all in the next few days and see what happens. the lhs owner drove it today and said he felt it would be a really good 'track truck' but had limited use for bashing (my sentiments exactly). lol
Old 01-04-2004, 01:57 AM
fhm101

We tried some rally engines in the Bergonzoni trucks last summer and they were out to lunch, but we had trouble keeping clutchbell bearings in them. Using a 12T OFNA CB forced us to use 5 x 8 mm flanged bearings and if we only used the 2 supplied with the bell they would last a couple of 5 minute heats before they were done. We wound up running 2 extra non flanged between the 2 outside bearings and the record for life was 6 heats and almost finishing a 20 minute main. We went up to a 13T bell so we could use 5 x 10's and that made a major difference in bearing life. Also, the berg trucks worked best with an OFNA 4 shoe clutch running black shoes and gold springs. Another nice MT clutch is the Berg 4 shoe rally clutch with adjustable stall. On slick surfaces this clutch was king, but it would not hold up to high traction surfaces with the MT tires.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:19 PM
rx7cblink

hey guys im a little new to this so here goes i went out with a buddy of mine wich is sick with rc vehicles after a little while at store i picked up storm unlimited truck this thing is out of control i got bit by the bug (lol) JUST WANTED TO SAY I NEED ANY STES FOR MODS if any body knows any the shop were i got truck doesnt have any hop up for but it seems like it might not need any hehe i saw a sight in europe that had some kind of turbo wiring harness havent seen this with any of sites i have been in here in usa nj to be axact any info greatly appreciated ,.thanks guys ......................
Old 01-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: rx7cblink

hey guys im a little new to this so here goes i went out with a buddy of mine wich is sick with rc vehicles after a little while at store i picked up storm unlimited truck this thing is out of control i got bit by the bug (lol) JUST WANTED TO SAY I NEED ANY STES FOR MODS if any body knows any the shop were i got truck doesnt have any hop up for but it seems like it might not need any hehe i saw a sight in europe that had some kind of turbo wiring harness havent seen this with any of sites i have been in here in usa nj to be axact any info greatly appreciated ,.thanks guys ......................
Welcome to the forum... This type of grammar is hard to follow and help you. Please take a little more time and use punctuation and check the spelling... I am sorry, but I read this and get frustrated and I don't want to help you.

On the subject, I am about a hairline away from buying the Storm Truggy... It is right there in front of me and I have money burning a hole in my pocket... Trouble is, I know the money can go to better things.

I need a sign from above.

It does look good though! I was running my Maxx with a few Dominators, and those things ate me up in every aspect the other day.

I agree it isn't a fair race to pit truggies against true MT's... Complete advantage.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:25 PM
StrechM

I wanted to join in and say that I ordered the Storm Unlimited from my lhs last night. I'm looking forward to it's arrival. Some of my thoughts are to replace the power-plant, electronics and servos. There are not many places to get feedback or share info yet on this one. The only mods that I've seen so far are the Storm Pro upgrades.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Rcinit

StrechM
Have you found any place that has feedback? There is not much here. Hoping to find out more info on this truck from people who have been running/racing it.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:32 PM
StrechM

The truck is to new for a lot of feedback. I did get mine 2 days ago.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:11 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one sweet lookin truggy.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:52 AM
StrechM

k-carboy
Any updates on performance or any tips you care to share at this time?

Mine has yet to be started and probably won't be until it dries out a bit. More rain on the way. I did pick up a 645mg for the steering and haven't decided what to do about the throttle/brake yet. 133 oz @ 6volts should do the trick. I figured any more may be overkill. Some of the pro and option upgrades look as if they may add some value to the performance.

You mentioned that it didn't seem to have much in the way of bottom end. Did you swap out the sliding clutch and if so did it make difference? I have a couple of other mills I'm giving some thought to, a Picco .26 and a Sirio .27. The reason I'm asking is I would like to sell the .25 before firing it if it lacks real performance. Any thoughts??

Enough rambling on my part and you asked for it. lol...

Thanks for the compliment jefx. It won't be pretty for long.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:01 AM
Rcinit

What type of 5 cell pack works in this truck? 3x2, 4x1 or a flat pack? I'd like to buy a new pack so when my Trucks here I'll be ready. Already have a 358 and 157 standing by to do the honors in the servo department.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:30 AM
fhm101

For rec packs a 3 x 2 hump is the best bet. With that you will have little enough room for a receiver. I've had the best luck in my storm buggy (same batt box as the SUT) with the Novak XXL. The Airtronics 3 ch micro fits well too. For a switch i use the Airtronics 3 lead with a GS silicone switch boot. It's a tight fit in the cover, but worth the trouble. It (the switch)holds up very well and the charge lead keeps you from having to unpack the whole thing just to charge your battery.
As for engines in the SUT. The pre production model I saw run was powered by the GS engine and it's no slouch. The first time I saw it run it was having some bad tuning problems, but the next time I saw it they had that ironed out and it was sofa king fast. The guy that had it did say to use a 12T bell on short turny tracks though. He said the 13T was fine for more open races.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:33 AM
Rcinit

THanks fhm101, I have both xxl receivers and the Airtronics mico. Looks like I'll have to but another batt thats no big deal my others are getting kind of old and this gives me an excuse to buy another one. Which Clutchbell comes on the truck? 13 or 12? I have been using the Ofna vented CBs so I hope these work ok but if I have to reshim it to get them to work thats not that big of a deal either. That'll just me the excuse to take the truck apart and mahe sure evreything is loctited.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:41 AM
fhm101

I'm sure the RTR comes with a 13T bell. If you do get a 12T bell, get some extra 5 x 8 flanged and unflanged bearings while you are at it. The OFNA 12T bell comes with 2 flanged bearings, but adding a couple of unflanged between the inside and outside bearings will greatly extend the life of your clutch.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:45 AM
Rcinit

Hey thanks for the tip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.