Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

A little lost

Old 01-26-2004, 05:58 PM
varsitypride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little lost

I'm new to R/C trucks, not new to forums, so I searched quite a while but wasn't able to find much information... so I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out.

For my first truck, I bought myself a thunder tiger ssk 1/10 4wd nitro monster truck. Maybe not the best out there, but it was a good price and a good beginner car, I think.

I already broke and replaced a few things... so I know a little about the truck, but I'm still relatively new.

Anyways, the problem i'm currently having is getting the damn thing started. I can get it going for some time if the wheels have no load on them but sooner or later it dies when trying to adjust the carburator. I was running it yesterday unable to find a correct mix (cloudy cold day) but at least I was able to get it working just fine.

Now, I have a bit of an inkling of the problem. When I pull on the starter... the wheels turn. I dont recall the truck doing this before. When I would be trying to get it started before, It would sit still and when I'd get the engine going, it would take a little bit of work but I could get it to idle sitting still. Now the wheels turn when I try to pull the string, so when the truck is on the ground and i'm trying to get it to go, the car moves forward on every pull. When I do get it going (with no load on the wheels, basically suspended in the air) the wheels will turn, i'll get it to slow down by adjusting the throttle and when i put it on the ground it dies instantly.

I think maybe my clutch is stuck? It wont disengage and let the car idle without the wheels turning. Maybe this is a terrible guess but I'm hoping you guys can lead me the way. Thanks for the help in advance

-Cris
Old 01-26-2004, 05:59 PM
mecky33

Default RE: A little lost

Sounds like you broke a clutch spring or melted the clutch to the bell.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:05 PM
ThermalRD

Is that the NEW!!! SSK you are talkin about??? If it is, i want some pics!!! And since when did that truck become available? Sorry, i had to ask those Q's. Now, back on topic. Yes, your clutch shoes are hung up for some reason. Could be many things. Take the motor out, and get that clutch bell off. That is the only way you will get to the bottom of this problem.

Matt
Old 01-26-2004, 06:08 PM
varsitypride

anything that'll help you guys help me out, I'll post

those were after it was new.

as for the clutch, I had a good idea that was it. I guess I'll have to take it out and look at it. I'll take some pics and you guys can tell me if you see anything.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:14 PM
ThermalRD

Man, that is the new TTR truck...WTH!! I want one now. Man, get us pics of the chassis setup, the suspension setup, top view, bottom view, side view, oh and the view of the clutch shoes too. That way we can better understand the problem. If ya dont mind me asking, how much was that truck???

Matt
Old 01-26-2004, 06:16 PM
varsitypride

the whole setup cost 360 up front with gas, and all other things. Since then, I broke a starter and a body mount, so I replaced those... and now it looks like the clutch is out... so I'ma have to replace that too. I'll take the truck out as soon as I have time and take pics of everything for you guys.. promise.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:28 PM
d71889b
My Feedback: (4)

yea sounds like the clutch is stuck.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:41 PM
sdarviavgeer1521

i had the same problem with my evader. something is messed up with the clutch.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:27 PM
varsitypride

okay, here's a shot of the engine. I am new to this, so I'm guessing the clutch is the black portion directly under the filter, rite? What should I do? Should I even try it myself?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:13 PM
ThermalRD

Ok, the clutch is underneath the clutch bell. The clutch bell is the gear on that motor. If you look at the end of that shaft, you will see its either held on by a washer, and bolt into the shaft, OR it has a clip on the end. Regardless of which one it is, remove it. Then slide the clutch bell off the shaft. That may be a little snug, since thats where the problem is behind there. Once you get that removed, you should see the problem. You can take a pic, and i'll gladly help you fix this. And to answer your question! Yes, you should do this. They are not really that hard, and you will build confidence, and experience by doing so. I am confident you can do this without messing anything up.

Matt
Old 01-26-2004, 11:22 PM
ThermalRD

This might help...Remove the clutch bell, and your shoes will be attached to the flywheel on pins.

Matt
Old 01-27-2004, 12:31 PM
varsitypride

You're awesome Matt, thanks a lot.

I'ma try to fix this on my own as soon as I find the time. After I do so, I'll go ahead and clean it up and post pictures of anything you wanna see. If you have any questions, since you seem interested, just lemme know... I apreciate you helping me out.

-Cris
Old 01-27-2004, 12:45 PM
mecky33

Make sure when you put that clutch bell on you loktite the screw. I have had problems on my truck with the screw coming loose if you don't.

Matt, thanks for helping him out. I couldn't post last night, I was busy.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:45 PM
ThermalRD

No problem man. Im always glad to help. And yes, i am interested in that SSK truck. Looks like a fun truck. Feel free to post more pics, and questions. I'll gladly photo chop them into some nice online instructions.

Matt
ORIGINAL: varsitypride

You're awesome Matt, thanks a lot.

I'ma try to fix this on my own as soon as I find the time. After I do so, I'll go ahead and clean it up and post pictures of anything you wanna see. If you have any questions, since you seem interested, just lemme know... I apreciate you helping me out.

-Cris
Old 01-28-2004, 02:34 PM
varsitypride

okay, this is what I got today when opening things up.

This is just a closeup shot.

This is the bell off. The little bar to the right fell out of somewhere... I'm thinking that's the problem now, but I can't find where it would go.

This is with the bell off... nothing seems to be off.

This is a side shot. Hmm..

So here's what I've got so far. If anyone can spot anything please lemme know. If anyone needs any other shots, lemme know and I'll get them up here asap. Thanks for the help!

-Cris
Old 01-28-2004, 02:44 PM
varsitypride

alrite... upon further analysis, I found where that little bar goes.

right in there. So.... i dont see anything broken yet.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:09 PM
varsitypride

well it looks like i answered my own question.

I opened up the clutch bell and found that these cylindral bearings were melted into the plastic... so I took them out and the whole thing is destroyed. I already ordered a new clutch bell from my hobby store... there goes more money
Old 01-28-2004, 03:34 PM
mecky33

Thats crappy, but don't feel bad. I blew a set of sealed bearings last week. All I found where the casings for both bearings, some metal rings (the seals I think), and one bearing retainer. I would advise getting an extra bell or try to get just the bearings to have on hand in case this happens again.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:51 PM
SH ByA

Is your clutchbell plastic? I guess I'm just a little confused, I am trying to figure out what is plastic in that setup. It's just that I have never seen a plastic setup where the clutch is concerned. []
Old 01-28-2004, 08:15 PM
mecky33

The bearings sit in a plastic housing. and the housing slides into the center of the clutch bell.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:17 PM
varsitypride

ORIGINAL: mecky33

The bearings sit in a plastic housing. and the housing slides into the center of the clutch bell.
good eye. That's it.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:32 PM
mecky33

Varsity, have you looked to see if you can buy just the bearings instead of buying a whole new bell? and you may want to find out what kind of preventative maintenance you need to do to keep those bearings working. I would say some oil or grease would be all it takes but I don't know for sure. Also, you may want to check in to a conversion to switch to sealed bearings instead of the cylindricals. Good luck with it.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:27 PM
varsitypride

ORIGINAL: mecky33

Varsity, have you looked to see if you can buy just the bearings instead of buying a whole new bell? and you may want to find out what kind of preventative maintenance you need to do to keep those bearings working. I would say some oil or grease would be all it takes but I don't know for sure. Also, you may want to check in to a conversion to switch to sealed bearings instead of the cylindricals. Good luck with it.
I spoke to someone at my hobby shop. Unfortunately I got the truck from a place that focuses much more on airplanes and helicopters. Not many of them know much about trucks. The guy I spoke to and the truck's manual has the clutchbell all together, but I'm going to see if I can either A) buy them alone and or get sealed bearings to avoid this. It looks like this is a big weak link in the design. Thanks for the advice.

-Cris
Old 01-29-2004, 07:49 PM
ThermalRD

Holy *****...That clutch bell uses a needle bearing. Also known as a one way bearing! Why would they do that? Do yourself a favor. Find some rubber sealed bearings for that, or get a clutch bell thats compatible with that trucks spur, and use standard bearings. That needle bearing should never be used there. Bad design, but an easy fix. Is that a 32 pitch gear setup? or is it 1mod (like an 8th scale)?

Matt
Old 01-30-2004, 01:37 AM
varsitypride

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Holy *****...That clutch bell uses a needle bearing. Also known as a one way bearing! Why would they do that? Do yourself a favor. Find some rubber sealed bearings for that, or get a clutch bell thats compatible with that trucks spur, and use standard bearings. That needle bearing should never be used there. Bad design, but an easy fix. Is that a 32 pitch gear setup? or is it 1mod (like an 8th scale)?

Matt
I'm a little lost Matt. Maybe you can slow it down to new person level? I'm not stupid, Just new