Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

First Nitro...which one?

Old 01-29-2004, 09:03 PM
mrhappyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Nitro...which one?

I am thinking about getting a nitro monster truck (it would be my first nitro) and usually i just run electric pretty hardcore so i don't know what is good vs. bad. T-Maxx? Savage 21? CEN MT2? I can spend about 400 bucks but i don't want to spend to much because i need to have money for fuel.

Also, which is the best jumper of those or other ones? I plan to lunch this thing atleast 8ft in the air because right now im onroad and i want to explore the splender of offroad. I want to be able to give this thing hell and run it in all conditions.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Admins, jump in too.

Thank you

-Mrhappy
Old 01-29-2004, 09:33 PM
sdarviavgeer1521

Default RE: First Nitro...which one?

if you are planning on doing what u just said you were then you definatly need a savage 25. they are the most durable trucks you can get. great for bashing or anythign you want to do. easy to maintain. i have one and i havent had any problems at all.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:39 PM
matt067
Banned

your not worthy of driving a nitro MT
Old 01-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Alteramod

as far as your question goes. The CEN MT has been haveing alot of good news about it lately and you also would have enough money to buy atleast maybe 4 gallons which lasts a summer or longer.
The t-maxx and savage arnt bad either but you said you needed to have some money to spend on fuel so.......
Old 01-29-2004, 10:47 PM
mrhappyman

Well for one...i don't know what ntrospeed's problem is...

For two, that sounds like a valid point and yes i know what you mean about 4 gallons with the saved money. Can the CEN MT2 take a beating like the savage 25? I'll spend more money if that what it takes for durability.

Any other suggestions
Old 01-29-2004, 10:47 PM
mecky33

Happy, As you already know the Cen is a great truck. It will do all that you are wanting to do with it, and you will still have plenty of cash for fuel, spare parts, hop ups.... Get my point? The MT2 is durable and inexpensive. it runs well with the T-maxx and Savage so you wont be left in the dust on the track. Its a great jumper as well. I have a tiny jump at my house that I can get a foot to foot and a half out of and I have yet to land any other way but straight. Its really up to you though. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:49 PM
mecky33

ntrospeed. What is your problem? Why must you bash everyone and their rigs in these forums. I have read some of your posts and you have nothing constructive to say to anyone? If you are going to be rude, please do it elsewhere. RCU is not the place to take out your agressions.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Alteramod

no matter what kinda of truck you are to buy, you will always have to upgrade or replace sooner or later. Unless you baby it and just drive 10mph of course, even then the engine will go some time down the road a few years from now.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:33 PM
mrhappyman

thank you mecky...I think that will be the one i get since it can jump too. I'll continue to explore my options and anyone who wants to still post on this subject please do.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:50 PM
YanLST
Banned

I would go with the .25 Savage!
Yan
Old 01-30-2004, 08:21 AM
SH ByA

I have run both the T-maxx and the Savage and of those two, the one that jumps the best is the Savage by far. its is the best i've seen for jumping. I have flown mine all the way across my yard and it just keeps on going. I dont know much about the MT2 but I do know it looks like a little toy next to the Savage and T-maxx. It may just be me. But I know they have been getting some good reviews and all, but when you put them next to the T-maxx or the Savage they just look like toys. Both the Maxx and Savage are a lot bigger and just look more mean. My LHS just started to cary the CEN trucks, and they just arent as big as the others. and it suprised me. I know they are good trucks, and I'm looking forward to the Genesis, But for a first truck I would definatly go with the Savage. [8D]
Old 01-30-2004, 09:53 AM
mecky33

Sh Bya, why does a truck have to be big to be good? and The Cen is a stiffer framed truck than the T-maxx. The maxx uses a base plate that is shaped the same as a Cen, but the Cen puts a second deck on theirs. That deck works to further stiffen the frame on the Cen truck. Not trying to start a flame war, I am just curious about your reasoning.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:08 AM
YanLST
Banned

OKOKOK!!! We get it! THE CEN IS A GREAT CAR, WHY DON"T WE CHILL OUT ABOUT IT VERSES OTHER RC CARS!?!?!?!?!?!
It looks fine to me but I prefer different stuff, BIG DEAL, who cares whether I like the Savage or the MT2??? Lets all CALM DOWN!
Yan
Old 01-30-2004, 11:12 AM
mecky33

Um, its not a versus. I was merely comparing frame builds on the two trucks and asking why a smaller truck is at a disadvantage to larger trucks. And in case you missed it the first time and this is a quote "Not trying to start a flame war, I am just curious about your reasoning." and I was directing that post to Sh bya, thus his name at the beginning of the post. But thanks for yelling at everyone.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:22 PM
SH ByA

Its not that there is anything wrong with smaller trucks. its just I like the ground clearance, when that is an issue then usualy bigger is better. when I saw a MT2 for the first time i was just shocked at how much smaller it was compaired to my Savage or other T-maxx's. For me I like the bigger trucks. I have enough trouble not driving over other T-maxxes that get in my way, I know I would concider a little MT2 a speed bump. Its just a personal prefferance. I have nothing against the MT2 from what I have read they are good trucks. but it is something to think about when buying a Monster Truck. Monster Trucks are big, and when you put them side by side, the T-maxx is bigger, and the Savage is bigger than the maxx, and it just goes up from there.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:32 PM
azrctruck

Go with the savage the most reliable truck. all bugs have already been work out. cen still has issues parts are hard to get. The savage is very reliable and durable.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:20 PM
mecky33

AZ, have you tried to get parts for a Cen? and do you have any experience with Cen? If not, dont talk about them. Parts are just as easy to get for a Cen as they are for any other truck. You just have to wait for them a little longer to put them on. I would actually say that for me, ordering online is easier for me than going to an LHS. My closest LHS is 12 miles away and traffic always sucks either getting there or getting back.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:45 PM
azrctruck

Non of my local hobby shop stock them I would consider that hard to get.I can go to any local shop and buy replacement parts for my hpi savage.It is also nice when your local hobby shop is familiar with the product you have and can provide onsite support. You can not get that with a CEN in AZ. My local hobbyshop would not even order parts from CEN. As for experience I thinks a Cen team racer telling me not purchase a Cen stadium truck is enough experience. I research cen products for weeks and was very close to buying one but that alone turn me off. He mention that the spur gear is weak and tends to strip very easily. Yes cen gives you a lot for your money and so does XTM if you are willing to wait for parts and not get onsite support. unless you live near a hobbypeople hobbyshop. also XTM technical support is top notch a will do whatever it takes to take care of any problems.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:36 PM
mecky33

Who was the driver that told you not to buy a Cen? PM me if you don't want to post here. From my dealings with Cen, they have a great deal of trust in their trucks and will go to great lenths to get them in to the hands of anyone. I have not seen the problems with stripping on the spur gears. The one gear I stripped was my own fault, and I can tell you exactly what happened if you are interested. Other than that, I have not broken anything on my truck. And if you can't walk in to your LHS and have them work on a nitro truck, you need a new LHS. Regardless of brand, nitro trucks are pretty much the same. the parts may be in different places, but the theories are all the same.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:41 PM
SH ByA

This is true. I shelled a 24/7 motor in my Savage. It wasnt the fault of the motor, I had a screw come loose in my tranny and caused it to bind up while i was playing. I happen to be racing my buds T-maxx at the time and I wasnt about to let his truck do something I couldnt, so I pushed the truck to performe like it normally did. I didnt know the tranny was binding till we were done playing. By then my truck got to about 350 degrees. needless to say the motor was toast. That was almost a year ago. About a month ago I was talking to the guys at XTM about my Mammoth and told them what happened with my Savage and the 24/7 I had in it. They told me to send the motor in and they would replace it free!!! thats awsome. I even told them it wasn't any fault of the motor, it was all my fault that it was toast, but they said they would replace it free. That ment alot. Hell I have replaced the 24/7 with a Picco .26 but it would be a good backup for my Mammoth
Old 01-30-2004, 05:39 PM
azrctruck

Mecky33 If you don’t work for Cen as you already mention and have no ties to them why does it matter to you. I can only say that I appreciate his honesty. I was in southern California late Dec were I meet him at a hobby shop. He then gave me his business card and has been great help ever since. It is not often that you get a honest opinion from a pro and I would not like to loose him as a contact I spoke with him 3 weeks ago just before I purchased my Xcell. I was ready to buy a FunFactor st2 same basic setup as the mt2. At the time this was the only stadium truck with 4 wd and rated at 50 mph. His exact word were that he did not fancy any of the Cen products even do he is a driver for one of their vehicles. He also mention that he is not suppose to be saying that but that was his honest opinion. He adv that I get the associated rc10gt. I ended purchasing an xcell due to the great reviews in magazines. He then mention the fact that the spur gear was very weak. I would not want to put his job in jeopardy just to prove a point
ORIGINAL: mecky33

Who was the driver that told you not to buy a Cen? PM me if you don't want to post here. From my dealings with Cen, they have a great deal of trust in their trucks and will go to great lenths to get them in to the hands of anyone. I have not seen the problems with stripping on the spur gears. The one gear I stripped was my own fault, and I can tell you exactly what happened if you are interested. Other than that, I have not broken anything on my truck. And if you can't walk in to your LHS and have them work on a nitro truck, you need a new LHS. Regardless of brand, nitro trucks are pretty much the same. the parts may be in different places, but the theories are all the same.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:53 PM
mecky33

I only care because a drive should stick behind the product that he is advertising. Other than that it doesn't really matter. I like my truck and feel that Cen products are really good. I am bothered though that you have never run a Cen product but make it a point to base your entire opinion of a vehicle on someone elses opinion. Really, you should try to run one, I am sure that you will be surprized. If we lived closer together I would offer to let you run mine.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:52 PM
DaSHiKi

Don't make me have to seperate you two.

Here are my thougths after spending countless hours researching what to buy and what not what works and what doesnt what has a good ride and what ride isn't the best if you are looking for inexpensive(not cheap because it is a good product) then buy a Cen MT2. If you are looking to spend a little more and get something with a little better suspension and more aftermarket support then I would go with the Savage. The Cen has a great reputation for a fairly new and somewhat unsupported truck and having your local hobby shop stock parts means nothing online is 9 times out of 10 faster for most people to order online keep some parts in stock for yourself and your all set or upgrade the parts your going to smash with aluminum ones. Although the fact that my favorite online HS Tower Hobbies does not sell Cen products so it lost ground there. Also I like the two shock suspension that the Savage has gives you a better ride and smoother landings. In the end its your decision but from what I have read if you cannot afford to replace alot of parts stay away from the T-maxx personally I went with a Savage SS I wanted to build it myself and make sure everything got loctite and such.

Ordered it today can't wait to get it