Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Half Track T-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Sypro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half Track T-maxx

does any one know if some one makes a half track kit for a maxx or has any made one there self? Pictures or videos plzzz
Old 03-02-2004, 03:51 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Half Track T-maxx

I've never seen one, but I have a crude design in my head. I've thought about it alot.
My idea involves making an unsuspended axle going through the chassis braces, with smaller than stock sized wheels on either end. Then taking R/C snowmobile tracks and wrapping them around the rear and middle sets of wheels. You could then put skis on the front and have an awesome Snomaxx.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Sypro

so have they would kick ass in the snow i think i have seen one b4 but im not sure if it was for a rc because it was a long time ago
Old 03-02-2004, 03:58 PM
jefx

You could get a 6x6 conversion kit and wrap snowmobile tracks around the back 2 sets of wheels.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:07 PM
kevinRC

http://www.slapmafro.com/movies/deep.wmv

is this wut u guys are talking about???? dont know for sure but i just read over it and found the site i saw the video....
Old 03-02-2004, 04:17 PM
jefx

That was cool and all, but a "half track" vehicle is just that, it typically has tracks on the back and wheels on the front, like some military vehicles. It's a cross between a tank and a truck and would rock in the snow, especially with skis in the front. I was gonna get some skis, but we've had an unusually mild winter here with little snow.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Savage_Dias

Sounds like fun but tracks can be a pain to deal with. After seeing that Savage run with paddle tires I'm kicking myself for not buying any this winter.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Sypro

i do agree that they would be a pain but i wanna see some videos!!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:06 PM
diirtbag
My Feedback: (3)

I have contemplated designs for such a vehicle I have been thinking something similar to the 6x6 but the back wheels dont need to drive just guide the track .I got thinking about it after seeing how bad just the skis suck on a truck but put tracks and skis that might work good.possibly next winters project the snows going quick around here
Old 03-02-2004, 11:37 PM
crazypyro013

i was just thinking of this today myself, along with a multilink setup for the savage but thats a diff subject.....

instead of doing a half truck i was think of having 4 indepenent tracks, each one in a triangular shape, similar to the life size truck conversion, i was going to work on design process tomarrow. only problems with either design would be stability.... you will need some wide tracks to match the truck size
Old 03-03-2004, 01:01 AM
jefx

We've had full size Case International Quad Trac tractors at work, used for earth moving. That would be a cool idea, but the problem with quad tracks is steering. On the full size tractors, the tractor articulates in the middle to turn, the tracks don't actualy turn to steer. There in a fixed position always pointing straight. If you did it on a R/C truck, the servo wouldn't have enough torque to turn a triangular track, there's too much rubber on the ground.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Sypro

i was thinking about useing the tracks and gears from one of those rc model tanks. and jerry rig them onto my t-maxx. and it does not need to be snowy to have tracks!!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 06:30 PM
USABaja5B

Here is what I have been working on. Finding the wide track with Chevron pattern on one side, and a tracking groove on the other side is the hard part. I can make everything else work, but I can't find a good belt to use.

Old 03-03-2004, 06:44 PM
jefx

That's basically the same system the Case Quad Trac's use. Like I said though, that much rubber on the ground is going to be a real workout for a steering servo, unless you put it only on the back. Another problem with that design is when they get wet (even just a little), the drive wheel spins freely in the track. With the full size tractors, the tracks have a tendency to peel off when they start getting old. They also have a raised ridge on the inside center of the track, and a groove in the middle of the bogie wheels and drive wheels to help keep it from slipping off.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:56 PM
USABaja5B

Yes, that is the problem. I need a belt with horizontal pattern and a veritcal groove. I've been looking for about 6 months now.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:01 PM
crazypyro013

RAMtech that is almost an exact same thing i designed on AutoCAD myself. The steering could be solved by using a 200oz servo meant for 1/4 scale. But then that presents a problem with were to mount the much larger servo. So you almost have to design a new chassis to incorporate the extra room needed.

As for the CAD drawing mine was similar except my tracks were wider and had a raised lip on both sides to help keep them on track, and i maintained the stock shock locations. Another problem to that would be sticks and debris getting inside the tracks and wreeking havoc, so some kind of cover needs to be made, which can be done by utilizing the inner rotating wheels as mount points for a cover.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:11 PM
USABaja5B

I quoted a custom made belt, with all of my needs. Goodyear wanted $175 each to make 10 prototypes. That stopped the project in its tracks!!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:27 PM
crazypyro013

jeebus [:-][sm=stupid.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

well i guess that leaves me to my other idea to design... a unique multilink susp. for my savage, i don't really want to copy the x-factors or rc trix designs.... so i guess that'll keep me busy

thanks for saving me from wasting my time..... and to think my aunt is tire design engineer for goodyear
Old 03-03-2004, 10:29 PM
jefx

I've thought alot about it too. To make it work, you could take a R/C tire, cut the sidewalls off and make it the width you need. Then cut the tire, so it's a strip instead of a circle. Cut it down to the length you need to wrap the whole assembly, and fasten it back together with a small strip of rubber and rivets. As for the ridge, you could cut small blocks of rubber to the heigth and width of the grooves in the bogie wheels, or just one long band, and fasten it on the inside center of the track with rubber bonding glue. Then take small screws and screw them to the ridge from the outside of the track. This would be time consuming and not too practicle for production, but it could be done and would make a really cool project.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:48 PM
USABaja5B

About a year or 2 ago, some guy on Traxxas did that. He made a tank maxx, and it looked pretty good. But, I couldn't do that for production.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Troublesome2g4

IF you are making this for the snow...I already beat you monkeys to it...A diff method tho...Get those adapters which let you put 2 wheels side by side on 1 axle...2 of them, for the rear only...then at work(machine shop) I made skis, about 2 inches wide, and 7 or 8 inches long with brackes to hold them on the fron in place of tires. It worked pretty good till I scrapped the skits for allum. skidplates
Old 03-04-2004, 01:09 PM
USABaja5B

That is not what we are talking about. We all want to see real tracks. I just don't have the time to sit down and fool around with it. Here is my version of teh Duellie tire conversion:

Old 03-04-2004, 02:37 PM
jefx

Troublesome, duallies are old news, you didn't beat anyone to the punch. Duallies and skis is also old news, there are several companies that make/sell the dually/ski combo for your maxx. Tracks and skis, now thats something no one sells.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Sypro

have you ever seen those trax for the tyco fast traxx? i have 2 sets of them i think they will work good they have a chevron like pattern on them. ill post a picture here in a minute i bet you could scronge up some on the internet
Old 03-04-2004, 03:39 PM
USABaja5B

I have 6 sets of them. I bought up all of them about 6 months ago. I didn't like how they looked though. They aren't wideenough for a t-maxx or Savage. But, a stadium truck would look good with them. I have a roller NMT that would look good.

Like I said, I've been working on this for about a year now. I even tried the Nitro snowmobile belt, but it was way too expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.