Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Calling all MT2 guru

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 05:26 PM
speedy_moe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all MT2 guru

I have now officially gone through 4 first gear spurs, 3 second gear spurs, 2 first gear pinion, and 2second gear pinion. This last time I thought that I had the mesh right because it was fine for about 4 tank fulls, then 2sd gear spur got striped.

Here is what I have done, as far as how I'm setting the gear mesh, used the paper (both notebook and the thicker ink jet paper), plastic bags, and mash in there and move it back a hair then tighten it.

Help I am at my wits end, I am thinking of throw it away.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:21 PM
itrunshot

Default RE: Calling all MT2 guru

Make sure you have locktite on the engine mount screws and that they are tight.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Sweetshoes90210

yeah man.. those things happen... belive it or not, i put to thread lock on some of those areas even if they arent screws...
I dont think you are setting your mesh correctly... I have not striped anything since my 5 months of ownership....

Send it to CEN. They will fixeverything for you man. You just wasted like 50 bucks on gears when they would have done it for free.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Grantothismo

I thought this was a sight for HPI MT2, I was actually looking to buy a CEN MT2, but didn't.

Now I am glad I didn't.

I have heard bad radios, bad gearing and what else have people found?
Old 04-10-2004, 05:19 PM
mecky33

Speedy, use a single piece of notebook paper. Tear off two 3/4 inch strips and fold them in half the long way. The strips only have to be two or so inches long. take one piece and put it on the first gear spur, the other on the second. Then press the engine in to the spurs until they are tight. Rock them back and forth to make sure both gears are meshed correctly. Then tighten up at least one screw to hold the engine in place. Then do a visual and feel test to make sure that there is a small amount of play in the gears. Tighten up the rest of the screws and you shouldnt have any more problems. You can use a corner of the note book paper to check that the gears are square to the clutch bell. Do this by placing one factory cut edge against the end of the clutch bell and the other against the teeth on the transmission. They should line up perfectly, if they dont you will probably strip one or both gears. The engine not being square to the transmission is what usually causes the second gear spur to strip out. As far as ruining pinion gears, I have not done that. But it is most likely debris flying up into the transmission from under the truck.

Grantothismo, The Cen MT2 is a good truck. The gear mesh problem is usually user error, not the fault of Cen. Also Cen has resolved the issue with the radio. They recieved a bad batch of crystals and have sinced switched manufacturers. Also, the Cen MT2 is a true MT where as the HPI MT2 is a stadium truck. And the Cen is also faster than the HPI.