Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT fuel tank!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 07:48 PM
vtl1180ny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT fuel tank!!!

Thanks AE... Wonderful design, it'll stay running when you flip... EXCEPT... It's sucking air through the top pickup.... 2 freaken days, tried 2 motors... Replaced all the lines, twice... Took the tank from my T-maxx and the MGT finally runs...

Funny... I've had the Pro 15 Maxx for 3 years and I never had to replace anything that was broken, put new shocks because I wanted to... In a week I've had to replace the suspension, steering knuckle, suspension mounts, rear linkage ends and now a freaken fuel tank....

Anyone know a way of getting that valve out without breaking the tank open????

[sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 04-28-2004, 08:11 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: MGT fuel tank!!!

That sucks man. I've broken many parts on my MGT, and finally gave up on it. However, i never had any fuel tank problems. I miss the size of the MGT, but i certainly dont miss the breakage. Back to your original question, i have no idea how to get that tank open. I know some guys on monster****rum.com were wondering the same thing. You might just have to call AE, and see if they will send you a new one. Honestly, this is the first i've ever heard of a fuel tank problem with that truck.

Matt
ORIGINAL: vtl1180ny

Thanks AE... Wonderful design, it'll stay running when you flip... EXCEPT... It's sucking air through the top pickup.... 2 freaken days, tried 2 motors... Replaced all the lines, twice... Took the tank from my T-maxx and the MGT finally runs...

Funny... I've had the Pro 15 Maxx for 3 years and I never had to replace anything that was broken, put new shocks because I wanted to... In a week I've had to replace the suspension, steering knuckle, suspension mounts, rear linkage ends and now a freaken fuel tank....

Anyone know a way of getting that valve out without breaking the tank open????

[sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 04-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Vanquish24

I have an mgt too and its a beast. Parts are easy to get. But anyway about the tank, i have taken a tank apart before. I used a dremel, a real thin cutting wheel and cut it in half. All tanks are glued together as you can see they are 2 pieces of plastic. I cut mine in half and used some strong epoxy to glue it back together. If your willing to try it be careful not to cut it and chew up the plastic. Once you do use the epoxy or whatever you think will work only on the outsides because eventually nitro will eat away at it. If you cant the best bet is just to buy another tank. gl with it
Old 04-29-2004, 07:32 AM
vtl1180ny

That has got to be the most frustrating thing in the world.... I may just drill some new holes to mount the T-Maxx tank...
Old 04-29-2004, 07:53 AM
popuptoaster

i think the ball bearing inside the pickup gets stuck if it gets gummed up with fuel residue, try washing it out with nitro cleaner, or something that'll disolve it. Ive heard of a few people with this trouble, but i run two tanks on my mgt and ive never had trouble, maybe it depends on the fuel your using?

If its a proper fault, send it back to AE, they'll change it for you.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:47 AM
vtl1180ny

Funny thing is I bought this truck because I need to rebuild my Pro15 Maxx and I want to take my time doing it, I've also got another all aluminum maxx project I'm working on, but that's still got some more time to go due to me reengineering some things... So I went out and got the MGT so I'd have something to screw with and not be without a MT...

Part of me just wants to order a new MGT tank and the other wants to find a different tank that'll fit... I was contemplating the dual tank setup also, but I don't think I'd do it with MGT tanks after this fiasco...

I currently have a Tmaxx tank rubber banded to the rear bumper mount... With a little drilling and dremel work I could get 2 T-Maxx tanks to fit....

This is also why I'm so against newbies getting nitro vehicles... Learn to wrench the rest of the truck before you have to deal with something like this... I'm actually going to go dig out a couple of my old airplane and Heli tanks and see what I can come up with...
Old 04-29-2004, 01:43 PM
WonderWheels

Hey, is there a conversion for the xtm 24.7? Because that engine is very good.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:05 PM
vtl1180ny

A conversion to the xtm 24.7??? Don't understand... an xtm 24.7 is a drop in motor, you wouldn't need to convert anything... But the motor isn't the problem....

Well I did some drilling today and I now have a 2 T-maxx ank setup... I also mounted the primer bulb on the exhaust side and it works perfectly....
Old 05-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Vanquish24

Im thinking of putting dual tanks on my mgt. That thundertiger 21 sure does eat fuel fast.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:05 PM
vtl1180ny

I'll snap some pics of it tomorrow...