Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

The Price of Detail worth the money?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

The Price of Detail worth the money?

Old 05-18-2004, 07:29 AM
Tweedybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Price of Detail worth the money?

Now that I've hurdled over the whole buying process, and just await my parts and kits to arrive, I was
browsing the detail aspect of these trucks.

I was looking at the different body types available and wondering about the whole detail angle.

These compressors they have and air brush kits, I was wondering if they are worth the money, or is it just easier to buy paint cans to do your lids with?

I was thinking about a compressor because not only would it be good for painting, but I could also use it to clean all my gear!

Pretty much want to know if its a waste of money or not.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:46 AM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: The Price of Detail worth the money?

That is all in your own opinion, if you enjoy those things, its worth every penny, if its not your deal, its a bit of a waste. To me, it would be worth it but I don't have the skill so I just use rattle cans like I have for years. In a way, to an outsider, having a race truck that cost well over a grand is a waste of money but to us, its awesome.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Tweedybird

Very true
Old 05-18-2004, 05:19 PM
fhm101

If you do decide to take the plunge and get a compressor, forget the units sold by the airbrush makers as they are weak at best. You can do much better for your money by taking a trip to your local Home Labyrinth to get one.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Tweedybird

I was actually looking at just picking up the whole parma package, the F-1 airbrush with the faskolor compressor 60 psi, foot pedal air regulator, and other accessories.

I think everything was like 80 for the brush and 280 for compressor, I also like the fact that its a quiet compressor, meaning I won't wake my wife up when I'm detailing at 2am. [sm=drowning.gif]

Tweedy
Old 05-18-2004, 10:32 PM
fhm101

If you are new to airbrushing you might want to give a single action airbrush a try to start with. It takes a bit more time to adjust spray on a single action, but the single action trigger is much easier to get the hang of for fine work.
Any idea who makes the F-1 for Parma?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Tweedybird

Parma makes the brush, and yes I am new to airbrushing, I ordered some books and videos to ease the transition.
I'm pretty creative with a pencil and paper so who knows

But this is the first I've heard of a duel action airbrush.
and also should I buy different attachments?:
Needle chucks
replacement needles?
replacement tips etc.?

you can find the parma F-1 Airbrush here.

I picked these items:
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...?prod=PAR40259
and
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...?prod=PAR40260

check'em out, let me know if you think I should still find an art store to get these items.

Tweedy
Old 05-18-2004, 11:48 PM
slago

Actually, I was told be several people that I should not consider buying anything other than a Dual-Action Airbrush.

With single-action, you open the valve on the airbrush and air and paint come out.

With dual-action, you can shoot air first and then open the paint when ready. supposed to be better for control and fading.

I am buying a Paasche VL.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:49 AM
fhm101

While the compressor looks to ge a good thing for airbrushing, I'd be a bit wary of the parma airbrush simply because you will have limited access to spare parts unless it's just a rebadged model from one of the major airbrush manufacturers.
Take a look at this site for Dixie Art Supplies. They have plenty of very good information on airbrushing, as well as killer prices on equipment.

Regards the choice of single or dual action airbrushes. I bought a double action Paasche VL on the advice of a T shirt artist I know and it's a great paint shooter, but after trying to get the hang of the double action, (push down for air volume and pull back for paint volume) i read this article on model painting and decided to give a single action a try. I borrowed one from a friend and it made all the difference in the world in the quality of my fine line work like shadowing on graphics or flame outlines. It does take a bit more time to get the spray size you want, but once you have it, you have it, whereas with the dual action, you have to remember exactly where you stopped on the down AND back stroke to repeat your last line size. I know the VL (and most other dual actions) has a back pull stop, but trust me, it's nothing more than a general guide. Depending on it for line size is a fools gamble. I've still got the borrowed single action brush and I'm trying to work out a trade for it so I don't have to go buy one.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Tweedybird

I decided to order the Aztek double with the scorpion II compressor, we'll see how it works out I suppose.

[&:]

Tweedy
Old 05-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Deandome

Sorry, it's just plain silly to spend $200+ on an "airbrush-only" compressor.

A small pancake, hotdog or twin'stack compressor give you SOOOOOO many more options:

You said you want to use it to blow off your car? Forget totally about it if you get an airbrush comp., it doesn't have a reservoir tank & spits out only enough air to run an airbrush (not much!!). I could clean my Maxx from across the room w/my Emglo!!!

Will you EVER want to run a nail gun, stapler/brad nailer, fill your car/bike tires, inflate a pool/toy??? NGH with a toy compressor.

And they're a LOT cheaper if you shop around!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90385

Yes, they're louder, but they RARELY 'fire up' when airbrushing, as there's so much compressed air on tap! Airbrush compressors are running ALL THE TIME, as they don't have a reservoir.

Dunno how old you are, Tweedy, but if your a youngster, your pop might even help you buy it, as he'd love having one. If your older, you WILL use it for lots of things around your house.

Be smart here, look at the bigger picture!!

Dean
Old 05-19-2004, 01:02 PM
ThermalRD

OOOhhhhh....Nice, thats my dream airbrush. Did you order the metal cased airbrush that comes in the wooden box, with all the tips? Thats the one i want to add to my airbrush collection. Let me know how you like it.

Matt
ORIGINAL: Tweedybird

I decided to order the Aztek double with the scorpion II compressor, we'll see how it works out I suppose.

[&:]

Tweedy
Old 05-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Tweedybird

yeah I got the wooden box one with all the tips, I think it was 128.00

As for the compressor issue, I want the compressor for my modeling only, I guess it is preference. I'm not a youngen, I have a wife, 2 children and my own home, I already own an industrial compressor, but would like one just for my modeling den.

Something quiet for those late night spray sessions.

Anyway spending 250.00 on a compressor to me is worth it, for the amount of lids I will be fabricating. might even sell some. who knows.

As for the Airbrush, here is a Quote from Dixie air supplies about the Aztek 470 which did not make me happy at all.

Hello,

We wouldn't want to call them garbage, but they are more or less amateurish, and of plastic construction. They are easy to clean, however, and kid-friendly.

Hope that helps,
Dixie Art Supplies

In a message dated 5/19/2004 12:14:33 PM Central Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
The Question was originally why you don't carry them.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Tweedybird

oh and I think 60 PSI is alot of pressure to spit out, considering the tires on my car hold abot 40 max psi? or was it 44?

Tweedy
Old 05-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Deandome

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

OOOhhhhh....Nice, thats my dream airbrush. Did you order the metal cased airbrush that comes in the wooden box, with all the tips? Thats the one i want to add to my airbrush collection. Let me know how you like it.

Matt
I don't know what's scarier, the fact that you have a "dream airbrush", or the fact that you have an "airbrush collection"??

I had a tough time shopping, too. I was leaning Aztec, but in my overly-anal net searching, I heard too many complaints (not biggies, more quibbles). To me, they seem a little plasticy for the $$, but I'm usually one to DEFEND the use of plastic when appropriate, so I guess I was a bit of a hypocrite.

I then agonized over Iwata Eclipse vs. the Badger 360 universal, and settled on the Badger. Mostly 'cause it's, well, universal, meaning it's a bottom feed (jars) AND a gravity feed (lil' cup on top) at the same time! These seemed more "professional", something that hardly describes my skill level, but when you read about all the REAL pros who recommend these ones (over Aztec) you might get re-confused!!

I'm happy, but don't let me dissuade you from the Aztec (the top-line ones). The interchangable tip setup is very nice, but as you've probably seen, it can get expensive unless you get a big kit right off the bat.

And fhm is DEAD ON CORRECT in recommending Dixie Art Supplies!!!!!! GREAT prices, GREAT service...EVERYTHING you want....well, everything except Aztec airbrushes!!

Dean
Old 05-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Tweedybird

I don't know what's scarier, the fact that you have a "dream airbrush", or the fact that you have an "airbrush collection"??

[sm=lol.gif]
LOL
Old 05-19-2004, 01:23 PM
ThermalRD

ORIGINAL: Deandome

lol. I've been into RC's since grade school. However, those that know me really well, outside of the forums know that i've been an art freak my entire life. Yes, i have airbrushes and compressors laying around, and i plan on buying more. LOL. I just gave a setup to a friend.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Tweedybird

Yeah I was also looking at the Paasche Model VLST Pro, just because of the fact that its more widely used and seems to be of a professional build.
and the delux wooden kit comes with alot of goodies for a reasonable price.

I think the faskolor paints will work well with it.

Tweedy
Old 05-19-2004, 01:27 PM
fhm101

My first attempt to paint rc bodies was with an Aztek. It's not a bad little gun, but i could never get mine to siphon and had to use the gravity feed all the time.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Deandome

oh and I think 60 PSI is alot of pressure to spit out, considering the tires on my car hold abot 40 max psi? or was it 44?

Tweedy
It's not just the PSI, it's the CFM!! Hook up your hobby comp. to a car tire and it'll take MINUTES to add enough air to notice, not seconds!!! And that's why it'll be really lame when it comes to cleaning your car, too.

No biggie, since you HAVE a big compressor, but for those who don't have anything, I stand by my opinion. Dunno which kind of 'industrial' comp. you have, but if it's a big stationary one in your garage or something, you might be able to work an air line down to your den for whatever you might need. You could fire it up early, and if you're working late, you'd have enough air on tap for HOURS of airbrushing without the compressor firing up & waking anyone.

But as I'm also into woodworking, PLEASE don't let me dissuade you from buying ANY new tools!!! In fact, you should get a Fuji HVLP system just for spraying that final coat of Faskote!!
Old 05-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Tweedybird

But as I'm also into woodworking, PLEASE don't let me dissuade you from buying ANY new tools!!! In fact, you should get a Fuji HVLP system just for spraying that final coat of Faskote!!

Never heard of it?

and as for the running an air line to my den, what attachements would I need?
also wouldn't I need some sort of pressure regulator for the airbrush attachment?

Tweedy
Old 05-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Deandome

Never heard of it?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013

HVLPs are AWESOME for most 'regular' paint/varnish/urethane applications. BTW, HVLP stands for "High Velocity, Low Pressure", whcih means LOTS of CF of air at low pressure. Of course, I got the Harbor Freight $70 version, which is fine for everything except thick latex. BTW, if any of you have never gone to Harbor Freight...DO SO, it's a fun store!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44677

and as for the running an air line to my den, what attachements would I need?
also wouldn't I need some sort of pressure regulator for the airbrush attachment?

Tweedy
Most people use 1/2"-3/4" black iron pipe (the kinda stuff you use for natural gas applications, available anywhere), but copper pipe is fine too (rigid OR the flexible stuff). All you do is put some kinda 'splitter' on your compressor (so you can still access it in the garage), plumb the pipe to your site & pop on a quick-release fitting. Then you can plug in a $5 regulator and whatever other accessories you need, like an air dryer and an air filter (both critical for airbrushing!!).

You could do the whole thing for $50 or less w/a few wrenches & some teflon tape.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:24 AM
Tweedybird

yeah that HPSC for 70.00 definately looks good for doing that final layer of faskote
that thing must do it in seconds, but if you put the biggest attachment you have on your airbrush and open the needle all the way, it shouldn't take too long with an airbrush either. Little longer but not much.

Tweedy
Old 05-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Tweedybird

I was thinking instead of having to run piping all over my house to get air from my current compressor in the garage to my den,
why not pick up this thing and just set it right under my work bench in the den?

my only question is, if I pick up any airbrush, aztek or Paasche Model VLST Pro etc. do their hoses fit right on to these compressors?

Or do I have get separate fittings or attachments to make it work properly?

Tweedy
Old 05-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Deandome

Actually, you might like the twin-tank compressor (my other HF link) a little better than the big, single tank, as it's much more compact.

All I did was screw a brass male 'quick release' onto the end of my airbrush hose & then I pop it into the filter whenever I want. The threads match up perfectly.

You can get QR fittings anywhere (you should/probably do already use them on your big compressor). I have 'em on my hoses, guns, filter, dryer....EVERYTHING so I can instantly hook up whatever I need.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=552276

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.