Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Losi LST 4 forward speeds...opinions

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Losi LST 4 forward speeds...opinions

Old 05-19-2004, 11:18 AM
allen0622

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi LST 4 forward speeds...opinions

The LST is a mean looking truck, but I don't know if anyone has touched on the subject of the forward high and forward low manual selection. I mean how low will the high be? Will it be able to lift the front off the ground from a standstill in high or still blow a mean donut in high? And how much less is the low top speed compared to the high gear? Plus I hope you won't have to take off the body to hit the switch. I'm just wondering if it is going to be the type of thing where you'll be constantly stopping the truck to switch your high and low gears.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:47 AM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Losi LST 4 forward speeds...opinions

We wont know the final gearing until the truck is released. Remember its still a two speed. I dont see any reason why someone would constantly be changing from low to high gears all the time. I think its a really nice feature myself. To me, it means you wont have to change clutch bell to get the desired gearing all the time, or when you change to a bigger motor. I think its a good idea, and hope it works out really well.

Matt
ORIGINAL: allen0622

The LST is a mean looking truck, but I don't know if anyone has touched on the subject of the forward high and forward low manual selection. I mean how low will the high be? Will it be able to lift the front off the ground from a standstill in high or still blow a mean donut in high? And how much less is the low top speed compared to the high gear? Plus I hope you won't have to take off the body to hit the switch. I'm just wondering if it is going to be the type of thing where you'll be constantly stopping the truck to switch your high and low gears.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Tweedybird

we'll see when it gets here.

waits patiently.
[>:]

Tweedy
Old 05-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Duff_Beer_12oz

There is going to be a button on the controller which automaticaly switches from lo to hi gear. I forget where i read this. High gear will have more speed but less power. Low gear will have less speed but more power. Just like the gears on a bike. In first gear it is easy to climb hills but you move at a slower speed. In 21st gear you move at a high speed but it is harder to go up hills because you have to work harder with less power.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:33 PM
ThermalRD

No, it doesnt. Its a manual switch for the low to high gears. The 3rd channel on the radio is for reverse.

Matt
ORIGINAL: Duff_Beer_12oz

There is going to be a button on the controller which automaticaly switches from lo to hi gear. I forget where i read this. High gear will have more speed but less power. Low gear will have less speed but more power. Just like the gears on a bike. In first gear it is easy to climb hills but you move at a slower speed. In 21st gear you move at a high speed but it is harder to go up hills because you have to work harder with less power.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:34 PM
ThermalRD

• Manual Hi/Lo drive range for a total of 4 forward speeds (best of both worlds)

Thats taken directly from the Losi web site. Go watch the FRC video interview about the LST. It will show you how the hi-lo gears work.

Matt
Old 05-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Duff_Beer_12oz

O sorry i guess i read wrong.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:19 PM
rcblaze

Don't play Thermal know's this truck like no other. lol Come on June.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:03 PM
allen0622

That's a good point ThermalRD, I must say there are times I think of getting a spur with less teeth or a clutch with more but don't feel like wrenching, I suppose the LST has that taken care of. I hope it works out too.

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

We wont know the final gearing until the truck is released. Remember its still a two speed. I dont see any reason why someone would constantly be changing from low to high gears all the time. I think its a really nice feature myself. To me, it means you wont have to change clutch bell to get the desired gearing all the time, or when you change to a bigger motor. I think its a good idea, and hope it works out really well.

Matt
ORIGINAL: allen0622

Old 05-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Duff_Beer_12oz

Please vote when you get a chance.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:22 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personaly think it sounds kinda Radio Shack-ish to have a high/low selector. It isn't very innovative, Tyco and Nikko have been doing it as long as I can remember. Don't get me wrong, I like the truck and I'll be getting one, I'm just not too sure on this high/low thing. If the ratios are fairly close, then it may be okay, but if they are far apart then I really don't like the idea. I'm sure there will be an eliminator kit for those who don't like it.
Also, in the pictures I've seen, there is a space for an extra servo under the fuel tank. Maybe you can add a servo to switch from high to low.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:37 PM
ThermalRD

ORIGINAL: jefx

Also, in the pictures I've seen, there is a space for an extra servo under the fuel tank. Maybe you can add a servo to switch from high to low.

That extra servo space is supposedly for rear wheel steering. Thats what i was told anyway.

Matt
Old 05-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Duff_Beer_12oz

Actually the 4 wheel stering option is for the genesis.

Have you all voted?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:32 PM
ThermalRD

Duff, no offense man, but thats getting on my nerves. I've seen you reply to many threads on here just telling people to vote in your poll. No, we are not talking about the genesis either.

Matt
ORIGINAL: Duff_Beer_12oz

Actually the 4 wheel stering option is for the genesis.

Have you all voted?