Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

ofna mt's

Old 06-02-2004, 12:22 PM
basher314

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ofna mt's

how are these ofna mt's for bashing. anyone have one if so show some pics.

which one is the best(not twin titan)
Old 06-02-2004, 12:39 PM
rcblaze

Default RE: ofna mt's

The Dominator is the best Ofna MT IMO. Very good racer and basher all around good truck.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:52 PM
basher314

how fast is it and how durable??
Old 06-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bcash

The Dominator is the best Ofna MT IMO. Very good racer and basher all around good truck.
The best OFNA MT certainly isn't saying all that much.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLE0&P=7

I don't think OFNA's are BAD MT's, but it is a pretty tiny niche in their product line, & you won't see a lot of aftermarket support for ANY of their MTs. From what I've seen/read, the Titan is woefully underpowered, the Twin Titan is a hoot, but $$$ & still not that quick, and I dunno much about the Dominator other than it looks exactly like a 4-shock T-Maxx without any rotary start option . It says it has "Torsen-style" diffs, which sound nice, but I've heard OFNAs Torsen-esque diffs are not all that rugged in buggys, so I'd think MTs would strain them even more. It's also $500.

IMO, OFNA seriously needs a new, state-of-the-art truck, as EVERY other mfg. is leaping past them. Back to your question, "are they good/rudgged?".....can't really say, but I do know that it's gonna be a lot harder to find replacement parts/upgrades than with almost any other brand.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:03 PM
basher314

thx
Old 06-02-2004, 01:42 PM
rcblaze

You can't be serious Deandome. Looks like a Tmaxx with four shocks. That's like saying J-lo is a 5 are you kidding me. 2 total different trucks I won't get into how you can place them side by side and find a million differences. Ah and to explain the diff thing. Long long long ago yea like in BC or something the original diffs have cheap case's and that has since been corrected as a matter of fact this was never a problem on the Dominator it actually was a problem from the monster pirate which was it's father. ( Yes Luke I am your farther) Moving right along so there is no problem with the diffs. As a matter of fact I have a CNC in the rear and stock up front. Hmmm how many engines have I run in this thing and how many gallons of fuel and never blew a diff up. Don't take my world for it thou ask my C5 how the diffs stand up to her or the picco. What else we got here O Torsen diffs are not designed for this truck so I'm not sure what your talking about. Maybe the CNC diffs your talking about either way they are expensive but well worth it. And Parts support well hmmm I have a ebay search just for my Dominator. I don't know who can't find a part for these trucks with Ace hobbies and Nitro house who is in the same building as Ofna around. I have also ordered from both and must say they are just as good as the LHS 3 days priority. And last but not least 360 to 400 brand new out the box and to the park with a 2 speed these days. Best bang for the buck IMO. Hop ups hmmmm almost every part can be changed to a CNC if you want. And as far as racing goes don't take my word for it show up at my local track and I will show you first hand. I think I'm done defending my baby. Damn I gotta go back to this thing called work now.

ORIGINAL: Deandome

ORIGINAL: bcash

The best OFNA MT certainly isn't saying all that much.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLE0&P=7

I don't think OFNA's are BAD MT's, but it is a pretty tiny niche in their product line, & you won't see a lot of aftermarket support for ANY of their MTs. From what I've seen/read, the Titan is woefully underpowered, the Twin Titan is a hoot, but $$$ & still not that quick, and I dunno much about the Dominator other than it looks exactly like a 4-shock T-Maxx without any rotary start option . It says it has !QUOT!Torsen-style!QUOT! diffs, which sound nice, but I've heard OFNAs Torsen-esque diffs are not all that rugged in buggys, so I'd think MTs would strain them even more. It's also $500.

IMO, OFNA seriously needs a new, state-of-the-art truck, as EVERY other mfg. is leaping past them. Back to your question, !QUOT!are they good/rudgged?!QUOT!.....can't really say, but I do know that it's gonna be a lot harder to find replacement parts/upgrades than with almost any other brand.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

That's like saying J-lo is a 5 are you kidding me.
I give her a 3. Shes a nasty tramp. [:'(] She needs to lose about 40 pounds from her posterior, tummy tuck, Zoom bleaching, a little taken from her nose, liposuction done on her thighs and get a total face reconstruction. I know....she needs to go on the Swan program. Yes thats it.....the Swan program.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Deandome

Check the link I posted. It sez (and I accurately quoted):

Transmission: Steel gear single speed.
Bearings: Full Ball Bearings.
Shocks: Four oil-filled with coil-over springs, anodized aluminum
bodied.
Main Gear: 62 tooth steel.
Gearbox: Sealed front and rear.
Differentials: Torsen type.
Brakes: Single disk.

If these are the same "Torsens" that OFNA uses in their higher-end buggies, then they ARE kinda wimpy, but then again, when I was reading about them they were being compared to $$$ Fiorinis!!

And THIS link shows the Dominator w/out it's body, and I defy anyone to tell me it doesn't look exactly like a 4-shock Maxx:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLE1&P=7]

And the price I quoted was Tower's RTR Dominator price, admittedly rounded up from the $480 shown on the webpage.

Sorry, but at $480, that's a pretty basic, overpriced truggy, IMO, especially when you compare it to the much newer Mammoth, MGT, Savages, and even the upcoming Revo & LST.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:50 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Deandome

You know, you have a lot of pieces of the puzzle but not the whole picture
The Dominator does what it is intended to do, Race, and if you want to upgrade things you can.
There are a lot of Aluminum and CNC parts as well as the Pro-line conversion. Sure not as much aftermarket support as other brand trucks, but it really doesn’t need it. It’s very race-able right out of the box in it’s Stock form. Is it the best truck for bashing? That’s open to opinion.

and I dunno much about the Dominator other than it looks exactly like a 4-shock T-Maxx without any rotary start option
If you think a Dom looks like a MAXX, you need to take a closer look my friend, those can’t be two more differently designed trucks IMO.

True, the stock Diffs are the weak spot on the truck, they do wear out quicker than 1/8th scale/spider type diffs.
But they are not Torsen or "Torsen like" diffs (where did you read that?) they are planetary and work the same as regular 1/8th scale diffs, they put power to the wheel that is spinning.
A torsen or Torque sensing diff applies power to the wheel or wheels (when in the center) that have traction. I’m using a custom modified ofna torsen center diff in mine and it works great.

I race mostly and only bash when I go camping, and the Dominator holds up just fine.

And by the way,

Ofna is developing a conversion for the Hyper7 to compete with the other Truggy style unlimited race trucks.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Deandome

TOWER said it had "torsen-style" diffs!! Could they be wrong? SURE, it's gotta be tough keeping tens of thousands of pages of info accurate. But that's where I saw it.

Over on OFNA's site, they don't say anything re. the type of diffs. But when I was there, I checked in on the Dominator forum, and there were SEVERAL threads bemoaning the fact that several aftermarket hopups had been discontinued (diff cases, bulks). http://p202.ezboard.com/fofnaracingnitrotalkbackfrm20

Finally, the OFNA photo looks a bit different than the Tower one that looks like a T-Maxx. But without tires, they look pretty damn similar, but then again so do all pan-chassis off-road vehicles!! Ya' got a chassis (which looked rectangular in the Tower photo, but is more cut-out/buggylike in the other one), battery/Rx, servos, tranny & suspension. The suspension & towers are VERY Maxxian, but again, there are only so many ways to set up shock towers/bulks/arms/knuckles...ok, ONE way

When it's all said & done, the guy asked for opinions on OFNA MT's, so I figured he wanted a 'real' MT, not a "truggy" (gray as that line is!!). So while OFNA might have some of the best truggies, and like you say, are coming out with a better one, their "true" independent suspension MT lineup is pretty weak, IMO.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:41 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Dean,
I went and read that, Who knows what "Torsen style" really means anyway
So I guess you're just passing on what you read, not your personal experiance
I see

And BTW
the real problem with the Diff isn't the cases, it is the gears inside.

I've never had a problem finding the parts I've needed

and last but not least, this last coment makes me wonder if you ever have looked at either close up?
but then again so do all pan-chassis off-road vehicles!!
Ae you including the T-maxx in the Pan Chassis class?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:22 AM
RC Jack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Smokinjoe6450

That's like saying J-lo is a 5 are you kidding me.
I give her a 3. Shes a nasty tramp. [:'(] She needs to lose about 40 pounds from her posterior, tummy tuck, Zoom bleaching, a little taken from her nose, liposuction done on her thighs and get a total face reconstruction. I know....she needs to go on the Swan program. Yes thats it.....the Swan program.
That has to be some real bad crack that you're smokin'!! J-Lo? A 3??
Old 06-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

I don't do the cracks. Speaking of crack.....J-lo has an *****-crack the size of the grand canyon. She is a high dollar tramp. [:'(][:'(]