Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Laws against nitro monster trucks?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Laws against nitro monster trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 01:13 PM
ch2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laws against nitro monster trucks?

I'm In Canada, Quebec, are there any laws against riding these RC nitro trucks in the street/parking lots, or after a certain time?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2004, 01:41 PM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Laws against nitro monster trucks?

Although I am from no where near there, I would assume that as long as it is in compliance with local noise, its good.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:03 PM
fhm101

It wouldn't hurt to check. We had a situation backfire on us a few years ago with one local community. The local shop wanted to use a large paved parking lot in the city park to run sedan races. They went to the city council and asked for permission to use the lot and the city agreed to let them do a demo race so the council members and nearby residents could see what they were asking about. The day came and the electric cars were a big hit and things were looking good when someone broke out a couple of nitro cars and started azzing around. It only took a few minutes to get them stopped, but it was enough. Long story short, that community now has an ordinance banning nitro rc cars from all public property within the corporate limits.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:20 PM
nitro_D

but are electrics still allowed.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:22 PM
fhm101

They were banned by a noise ordinance so I don't know what their take on electric would be, but knowing what i do now i wouldn't go running one in front of a local cop.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:57 PM
twisted

man ,people have problems.you cant run a nitro car because of the noise but yet they allow harleys with drag pipes,weed eater and lawn mowers and crotch rockets and import cars...etc
Old 07-09-2004, 11:42 PM
ranger1
My Feedback: (32)

no laws as far is i have seen here in ny, and i run on the street and in parks , and the cops have pulled up as i have been running and just have the same old questions , how fast is it ,and how much does it cost to get started. and they have even gone as far as to put the radar gun on my t-maxx to see how fast it goes. 52 hph., as for the police here. in ny.but have not given me a problem unless somebody complaines.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:26 AM
nownnew

Yeah, same thing with the security guards at the community college here. They just pull up to check out the R/C cars.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:32 AM
fhm101

With the exception of this one place, cops have always been cool about it when I've been out on the street someplace. I think one of the reasons things went like they did is the community is an upscale place with excellent schools (a rare thing in alabama these days) and they are worried that anything not "proper" might hurt their image. You have to be from the south to really understand what proper would mean to these poeple.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:46 PM
ch2s

Yesterday I got my first complaint, I was in a school yard and after maybe 1 hour this old guy comes out yelling "THATS ENOUGH NOISE FOR TODAY GO DRIVE THAT ON YOUR STREET THERE'S SICK PEOPLE HERE IF YOU DON'T LEAVE WE'LL CALL SECURITY"

I dont know if that thing about sick people was true, but maybe if he had told us nicely would would have left sooner, besides him, everyone just comes to see it and asks questions about it.

Do those Tsais side mufflers significantly reduce the noise? If so I might buy one sooner.

Should I ask a cop next time one passes by if there's any laws against it? What if some ******* like the one above comes to complain and we stay and he calls the cops, can they do anything then (fine, confiscate the truck, etc)?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2004, 05:59 PM
fhm101

Sad as it may seem the noise our nitro cars make is annoying to a great many people. I have a friend that races rc boats and he told me the places that will allow them has shrunk to almost nothing and it's all because of the noise they make.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:18 PM
nitrobashinauz

yea, full scale cars are quiet nowadays and they dont run up and down the street,
and lawnmowers may be loud but its a necesity and everyone uses them,
and to complain about lawn mowers is realy just *****ting in your own pants.
but what makes it worse is nitro engines are quite high pitched and make a whining noise.
so i try not to run my nitros in the street for too long,
and if i do its as close to the middle of the day as possible.
it'll be great when i get my mini-t cause i wont have to worry about noise or size!
one of the reasons i bought one
Old 07-10-2004, 06:38 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I ask a cop next time one passes by if there's any laws against it? What if some **** like the one above comes to complain and we stay and he calls the cops, can they do anything then (fine, confiscate the truck, etc)?
No they will just give you a warning, if anything at all. If the cops get called about it repeatedly, like if your neighbor calls them every time you start it, then they will eventually give you a ticket for disturbing the peace.

I have an industrial park about 5 minutes from my house, I just load up the pickup and take my r/c there. NO ONE cares over there.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:19 PM
sarpiparpi

screw the law
Old 07-10-2004, 10:43 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

yea i am like an 80s rebel. i dont follow the law.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Texdav

Most cities have a decibel noise law. Many have different loudness in residental areas in night time hours verus daytime. Then there may also be home owner associataitons that limit further.; like a signed contract they sue you under if you live there;have you removed and warned on trespassing if you don't. Then of course if you don't own the property your running on trespassing amy apply depend on signs or if you have been warned. In my state listed violations are a ticket with a fine upto $500.00. Most timePolice will warn you first;but it's not a good idea to push their patience therafter in IMO.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:49 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: sarpiparpi
screw the law
When you're cellie is a 6'6" guy with a hairy back that think's you have a nice azz we'll see how you feel about the law then.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:52 AM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

[][][]......ewe![:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(] i cant do that!! i am only 14!! well, i guess there is not hairy old man for me! atleast for another 4 years.....hopefully.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:17 AM
Ahab

I was running my Savvy25 on the green by the side of my house, and I could easily hear the echos coming of the surrounding houses, so I know it was loud (hense me getting the tsais badboy to try and keep things quieter)...

about 15minutes after i went in the Filth showed up and were sniffing around where i was running...I dont know if the two events were connected or if they were just wasting taxpayers money whilst they stroll round the park.... We get kids on crossers in the park all the time (one discovered that wooden posts and an unhelmeted head can end your biking career terminaly last year) and they are much louder than the savvy but the cops never show up...so perhaps it was a coincidence.

or perhaps they just figured that a guy with an RC truck is an easy target, where as people committing actual crimes are too much hassle.....
Old 07-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Evil E

I live in a townhouse community, and I'm very careful when I start my car at home. My next door neighbor doesn't mind. He's an ex-engineer and car nut so he thinks it's great. However, the president of our homeowner association lives across the street. He hasn't said anything yet, but all it takes is one complaint. I never run my car in the street though. Too many dogs, kids and cars. It's a bad combination.

United Artists has a huge multiplex theater near my home. Recently, a second large theater opened about two miles away. The UA theater's parking lots are huge, and the one the furtherest from the building is always empty. It's flat, and the pavement is in great shape. Plus, I don't have to worry about the noise. There aren't any homes nearby. Hopefully, no one from the theater complains.

As far as the police are concerned you shouldn't have any problem unless they are complaints from other residents. I believe many of them would prefer you guys, especially the teens, to be out running your RC cars than getting into real trouble. Plus, I've get kids all over my neighborhood with motorized scooters that are just as loud if not louder than my car.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:53 PM
SHEP.

just drive the thing and if someone complains worry about it then

but don't go to the same place everyday all day, go to different places so you spread the noise around
Old 07-11-2004, 04:52 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

i live in a tight community, but i run my truck in my back yard, but i have respect im not running it at 6:00 in the morning or late at night... i dont think there is any defference than running my truck than listening to somone's dog bark all day!!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 06:38 PM
SHEP.

well thats good that you get along with your neighbours but mine are asssholes, they don't even tell there kids to shut up after they have been screaming for hours on end all day long, i have told them many times to shut-the-f*uck-up

i mind my own business and don't no or care who they are or what they are doing, it's none of my business what they do and it's not any of there business what i am doing, i don't make any noise other than cut grass and that is done at the appropriate time

if i was somewhere running my truck and people started to complain then i would look at how long i was there doing it already, but i don't run my stuff for hours on end all day long, maybe 15 or 20 minutes then let it cool down for 30 minutes or so, but most of the time i go to empty fields, gravel pits, construction sites that type of place and never have to worry

thats why i said just run it and then see what happens
Old 07-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Alexey

I was running my truck in the shopping moll car park at night (10 - 11 pm). I thought it is going to be trouble when an unmarked police car came over but cops gave me no trouble. It turned out that cop's son had an RC car as well so he just asked me the usual questions about my truck. He was also nice to recommend other places where i may run my truck without being disturbed.
This happened in Scotland though.